PDA

View Full Version : Use of Bouys(protectors) when launching/retrieving Boat

PeterInSA
15-03-2009, 12:38 PM
As and ex Queenslander who married a Tasmanian and have now lived most of my life in SA have noted the different ramps construction in each state. Qld/Tas have mostly freebie ramps. SA has mostly $8/day charge for multiple ramps with Pontoons.

Up to the last fishing trip I thought hanging 2 bouys over the side of the boat to protect the side from the pontoon was akin to a bloke going shopping (with the wife) with a handbag to hold his wallet, comb and hankie. Now I'm not so sure, my boat could have been badly damaged by the pontoon when the boatie in front created a big wave when he powered onto his trailer and rocked our boat against the pontoon, while I was going to the trailer park to get the cruiser/trailer.

Another boat on another pontoon had 2 of these bouys ie approx 30cm long by 10 cm wide white plastic hanging down, probably tied to the boat by bungy cords.

I am not getting into the handbag set, but are seriously considering 2 plastic bouys. The downside of course is they take up storage space.

Comments appreciated

Peter

Angla
15-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Hey there. What sort of pride and joy are we talking about? I have 2 x inflated type bumper protectors with fixed ropes that I just throw over the side and attatch to the bollards on the boat. I just put them out the appropriate side to where I will rest at the pontoon. I then rope it in position with a sepatate rope while I am away..................

$8.00 for a day is a bit like the rough end of the pineapple

Chris

PinHead
15-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I won't tie up at any pontoon without fenders on the side.

Roughasguts
15-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Iv'e never used fenders I usually hold me boat out from the pontoon.

But I have been looking at them and wich is best the round ones or the flat pad type ones.

PeterInSA
15-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the replies.

But Roughasguts has a point, about the Round or Flat protectors. To a newbie in this area I think that the Round protectors if not hit squarely on the pontoon could shift up/away and expose the boat as against the flat protectors would stay in place.

Comments appreciated.

Peter

Razgo-
15-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I think the flat ones are used for pilons and jetties? I have never seen flat ones used in the marina pontoons. I only use the round ones.

I could be wrong though.

kingtin
15-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I found that the round ones do ride up, but only at certain pontoons. I now use the flat foam ones, although I still don't trust 'em 100% as I marked me new rig first time out.

I have a grab rope down each side of the boat tied fore and aft with a fair bit of slack. Serves two purposes...............as a safety grab rope if someone goes over the side, and for guiding the rig either onto the trailer (straightening her up) or at a pontoon in a strong side wind/tide. If it's difficult getting full side on without bow or stern swinging away from pontoon, one of the kids leaps off with the rope in hand and stands central to rig on pontoon with the rope tight..............pull on one hand and the stern comes in, pull the other and the bow comes in.

While we're talking handbags ;D The best buy I made was a telescopic boat hook with the bulbous nose. I think that they're a really neglected piece of kit. I can ease off early and use it to pull me into the pontoon, and once we're all ashore and the lad is stood amidships with the rope, he holds the rig away from the pontoon with the blunt nose of the hook..............no need for fenders that way..............but they're there anyway............just in case.

kev

sleepygreg
15-03-2009, 11:21 PM
I have never 'NOT' had fenders in any boat I have owned over 4m. Nor have my relos and mates.

Greg

cormorant
16-03-2009, 12:39 AM
put 2litres of water in the blow up ones to stop them riding up as bad as they do but don't tell anyone else the secret of why yours work and don't pump up tight.

Flat ones are fine as well but depends on your hull shape, they are easier to store and carry 3 or 4 of.

MyEscape
16-03-2009, 05:08 AM
I wish I had a pontoon so I could use my fenders;D

Steve

ozbee
16-03-2009, 10:24 AM
a pontoon , what do they look like , the epa wouldn't allow one all that environmental damage . the ones we have in nq are for releasing rogue crocodiles

gofishin
16-03-2009, 07:43 PM
...Up to the last fishing trip I thought hanging 2 bouys over the side of the boat to protect the side from the pontoon was akin to a bloke going shopping (with the wife) with a handbag to hold his wallet, comb and hankie....

Geez Pete, don't mention that in the pub, even some 'rough looking' guys pride their beloved '2nd loves' - them's fightin words! Fenders, or buffers as some call them, are a must.

Whether it's painted tin or timber, or nice shiny glass, all boaties who want to keep their tubs looking great carry, and use, fenders. Even if you have an old banger, and don't care for its protection, if you ever raft up with someone you should have them and use them out of courtesy to your neighbouring boat/skipper.

The cheaper ones are a bit light and could easily ride up, but cormorant has a good idea with the water ballast. I like the more expensive ones as they are a lot heavier, but also they are made from a better quality material. I also prefer the round ones, as even if you have springers set, you will always get (and want) relative movement between your boat and the next (or pontoon). The round ones will roll, the flat ones can't, hence may/do rub off stripes or decals etc as they can only slide along, not roll.
cheers

White Pointer
16-03-2009, 07:59 PM
put 2litres of water in the blow up ones to stop them riding up as bad as they do but don't tell anyone else the secret of why yours work and don't pump up tight.

Flat ones are fine as well but depends on your hull shape, they are easier to store and carry 3 or 4 of.

G'day,

It depends on where you are docking. If it is at a floating pontoon a floating fender will work best unless some idiot is creating a wake. If it is a rigid dock an rigid buffer is best.

White Pointer

Roughasguts
16-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Question why is there a hole each end of the round ones??

Okay ropes... but does that mean we should be using two ropes and dangling them Horizontal so the roll up and down! with the waves intead of back and forth. Seems more likley, but never used them what do you think.

Razgo-
16-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I have seen the 2 holes used for horizontal use like pulling up beside a pilon.

so they can be used verticle/horizontal.