PDA

View Full Version : rivergate marina

Razgo-
15-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Anyone had any experiences with rivergate marina? good, bad or ugly?

I checked their rates and they are pretty much the same as anyone else compared to manly, raby bay.

see prices here http://www.rivergate.com.au/marina/Rates.asp

I went down there this morning and it is a nice tidy little marina. 105 berths apparently. And since it's only 7KM from me as opposed to the 50KM trip i was doing to horizon shores i figured i would probably be saving in the long run.

Just thought i would ask if anyone has used them before?

nelton87
15-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Razgo,

Rivergate is a great Marina, However be aware with your style of vessel you will not have good boating weather all the time.
Mouth of Brisbane River can get a good 1.5 to 2mt swell rolling through from Mud Island or Bribie depending on the weather.

Horizon Shores may be further but atleast you can always go boating somewhere down the pin in any weather.
Cheers
Nelton

Razgo-
15-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Nelton, your right about the weather. For the most part I generally only go out in the cooler months and especially winter and mostly of a morning rather than afternoon.

you think my boat won't handle the swells? I don't think i have been out in 2m swells in this boat before but wold have thought it would be ok?

Not sure how often I will be going out the mouth of the Brisbane river but i would be checking the weather first for sure.

Oh i have been down the pin in some pretty rough weather with bow waves crashing over and down the helm hatch(wasn't pleasant at all) and once I with the outgoing tide and wind i thought i was going to get dragged out to ocean as i was barley making headway against current and wind.

Now i know that's not as rough as what your talking about but the boat seemed to handle ok.

That wasn't something i would normally go out in though and was certainly a one off.

But yeah i do understand getting caught out when coming back as that's always a worry.

will have to wait for a possy to out with maybe.

Having said that i think one of my biggest worries was the other end. city cats and heavy traffic? After hearing of so many accidents i did wonder how these accidents occurred and what i would to avoid being in that situation.

sid_fishes
15-03-2009, 01:52 PM
mate have a chat to kozy cobia, he had his cat berthed there
cheers ian

Razgo-
15-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks ian, I will make a note though about the broadwater. Whilst my first reason for being up there was for the calm waters which was fine, it was the boating traffic that can leave your nerves somewhat frayed down there at times.

Now i know there will be boating traffic on the Brisbane river but surely not as what as what goes on in the broadwater?

Has anyone noticed how bad the broadwater is these days? or is it just me? I don't have a lot of experience down there but even over a short period of time it just seems to get worse. It just seems safer to fly an old moth plane with one wing than it is boating down there some days :)

DAVE_S
15-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Have heard the wash can be a problem from the traffic on the river .
Have you looked into eastcoast marina down at manly .

Razgo-
15-03-2009, 02:42 PM
yeah i looked at manly recently and i think they have a waiting list? at least the the port authority berths do, they have a 3 year waiting list even with the new berths going in.

whats the issue with wash? boat movement? wear & tear?

thanks
russ

PinHead
15-03-2009, 02:46 PM
berthing with the tidal flow at rivergate could be a problem

Razgo-
15-03-2009, 03:06 PM
If i do go down there can i squeeze down the east end of port of Brisbane so i don't have to go around the mouth? I would save 10KM. i would rather do the extra 10K to avoid potentially shallow/hazard waters though.

My draft is about .88 or closer to .9m.