PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks and muddies

tenzing
14-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I have been crabbing recently in a 2 person kayak with my 10 yr old.
We can get right up the creeks on the high tide and get well past where the boats can go .
I like to set the pots at about half tide so I can see the drains etc., Picking up pots with a mix of keepers and jennies can be a bit of fun. You have to sit the pot on your lap and generally put all the contents into a small esky for a few minutes to slow them down before sorting them. its certainly good for getting the heart rate up, but a lot of fun all the same. Four pots seems to be ok for a not too long paddle.
I bought this yak to fit up the inside of the 6m glass boat. I am keen to try a few more remote locations with the same technique.
Anyone else been successful with this. I'd love to get some tips.
Brendan

mad matt
14-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Nice work mate,i used to use an old surf ski up at caloundra with a few dillys,If i had a sandie i would hang my legs over the side and untangle it and put the crabs in a old potato bag between my feet.If i got a muddy i would put it on the front of the ski and cross my legs and paddle to a sand bank.I would get it out and tie it up and into the wet potato bag it went.Like you say you can get into very shallow spots and you dont need much water to catch a muddy.Good luck with it mate good way to spend time with your kids cheers mad matt.8-)

jareyjareyjareyjarey
15-03-2009, 08:31 PM
yeah thats a really good idea

tenzing
15-03-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah thats a really good idea
I'm not quite sure how serious you are.
You do know that you can fit more than two people in a 20 ft boat?
I have four sons. 10 yr old is the baby.Thanks for the reply
Brendan

Scott Ashe
18-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi,
My mate and I used to his surf ski, to drop our pots into our local creek in Victoria point. This was many years ago even before he was old enough to drive, and I didn't have my tinny then either. We used to (and I STILL DO) get really nice crabs from this creek.

He designed a trailer to tow behind his pushbike, which carried the surf ski, and I had a hand trolley, (didn't ride a bike, because of my disability), which carried the pots. It also had a couple of rod holders too.

Cheers
Scott

Blackened
18-03-2009, 02:28 PM
G'day

I also used to crab (muddies and sandies) via. the surf ski, got some absolute beauties. This was at caloundra out the front of our unit.

I mainly took the pots top shore and sorted them all there, was only a short paddle.

Dave

pommy
20-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi mate!

Don't have a kayak but my 7ft by 3ft tinny is probably the next best thing.

Fits into the back of the Falcon station wagon, fully prepped up.

Crab with a mate. We have 10 dillies between our legs and a 25L tub behind us.

Pull dilly. Swing over tub. Remove crab. Put tub at back of tinny. Store dilly in front of tinny. and so on......

250+ muddies for me and my mate over the last 2 years.

Most interesting moment? A 2m shark jumping out the water 20m away on a flat calm, moonless night. Stains on boat seat.....almost!

Oars rule!

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.

jtpython
20-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Lucky your not up north a big lizard may like to have a sunbake on your Yak while you crabbing lol.
The are great for dillying the quiteness in the water definatly makes for more catches Stealth mode
Good stuff JT

tenzing
20-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi mate!

Don't have a kayak but my 7ft by 3ft tinny is probably the next best thing.

Fits into the back of the Falcon station wagon, fully prepped up.

Crab with a mate. We have 10 dillies between our legs and a 25L tub behind us.

Pull dilly. Swing over tub. Remove crab. Put tub at back of tinny. Store dilly in front of tinny. and so on......

250+ muddies for me and my mate over the last 2 years.

Most interesting moment? A 2m shark jumping out the water 20m away on a flat calm, moonless night. Stains on boat seat.....almost!

Oars rule!

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.
Hey ther Bob.
I think that our kayak may actually be bigger than your tinny!
dont fancy playing with the noahs in it though.
I did have a really close look at a 3m bronzie about 2 weeks ago while we were 25 - 30 km offshore. I was up on the gunwhale holding on to the rockets when it sidled over for a look. suddenly my feet looked very close to the waterline. great amusement for the boys though as i got up on the toes !
Brendan