PDA

View Full Version : Quick release of Battery Box lid/battery

PeterInSA
14-03-2009, 09:50 AM
After a trip I use the boat battery to power a Super Cheap electric boat winch to get my boat/trailer back into the garage.

Have a boat battery box that is tied down to the boat by a 50mm wide nylon belt and a plastic buckle with serated edges. To get at the battery to power the winch I need to get the nylon belt loose from the buckle that takes about 5 minutes. Are there any alternatives to this buckle????.

Back in the garage I connect up the battery to a solar power unit, then prior to the next trip, buckle up the battery box again.

Peter

Kleyny
14-03-2009, 10:43 AM
mmm
maybe an old belt and buckle?

neil

trilogy
14-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi
I use a weight belt from dive shops good quick relese buckle.

FNQCairns
14-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi mate, have a look at that buckle, you will find there is another way to thread it, the way you are doing it will take a screwdriver to prise open, the correct way is nothing more than a 2 second exercise with your hand.

cheers fnq

Blackened
14-03-2009, 12:52 PM
G'day

Cut it and use an occy strap.

Dave

dnej
14-03-2009, 03:26 PM
So is the winch set up in the garage.
David

krazyfisher
14-03-2009, 04:46 PM
get a battery box that has terminals on the outside as well. I have one and its great for charging etc

PeterInSA
15-03-2009, 12:17 PM
David the Winch/Winch bracket fits onto the rear of the trailer with just one 5/8 bolt.

Krazy Have an outside connection ie a Cigratte socket that I use to connect the solar panel to the battery. But the connection/wire are not heavy enough for the winch and regardless i like to keep track of any build up of rubbish on the battery terminals.

Peter

dnej
15-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Peter,
If you really want to use the boat battery, why not fit an Anderson plug, to the battery,and make a lead up to plug into the Anderson plug, from your winch.
Other than that , go to Big W, and buy a spare battery.I use one in the back of the station wagon, to run my winch.
David

foxx510
15-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I have the same strap on my battery box. As FNQ says, when threaded correctly it is actually a quick release buckle. The strap only goes through the bottom bit of the buckle, the serrated edge one sits on top and grabs the strap when it's pulled tight.