PDA

View Full Version : Who's gone out into the oil?

Liberty
14-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Anyone been to Hutchies/Shallow T since the oil spill?

Thanks
Nigel

eotbmg
14-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Nigel
I tried to call Frank OO this morning, but went straight to message....
Maybe!
Ben

Liberty
14-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Ben, see if he responds this arvo.

Thinking about going out tomorrow, but don't want to spend a week afterwards scrubbing the boat down on hardstand ...

mirage
14-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Was going to take the kids tubing in Pummicestone Passage today. Called the Caloundra Coast Gaurd, message was don't bother there is a film of oil on top of the water in the passage.
Haven't seen the beaches myself but they must be pretty bad.
I would imagine you'd get a film of oil on the hull and motor if you went out of Mooloolaba as well!

Liberty
14-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Ah thanks Mirage. Might ring Bribie Rescue.

Good idea.

reel scream
14-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Just tried Frank on the radio Nigel- nil reply. I'm going tues or wed.

Cheers Scott

Liberty
14-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Scott

I rang Marine Rescue Bribie, but they don't have a boat in the water and have no other info. They did say to try the EPA Hotline.

Rang them. No info other than there is oil on Moreton foreshores. Nothing about what's in the water.

Area is "quite affected". The area 8km south of the Cape is the worst affected. As is 17hm south again.

God, I feel sick just thinking of 25km of Moreton coated in oil ...

Thanks anyway
Nigel

Liberty
14-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I also tried Redcliffe Coastguard. They haven't heard back from anyone who has gone out there - even the dive boats have stayed inside the Bay.

I just realised something.

Flinders is going to be coated in oil.

Ah sh_t.

reel scream
14-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah its not good at all. I got married over there and its pristene.

I think (hope) by Tuesday the bulk of it should be on land though so will venture out for a troll for Spanish.

Cheers Scott

Midnight
14-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Gday,
It is terrible the way things have been handled.
Sure, these things can and will happen, but the clean up response has been criminal!
If it was washing up on Bondi it would have been an all stations federal government and EPA response with experts flown in from O.S.

Why have they not sprayed dispersant spray into it at sea from an Ag plane or chopper??

I have been going to Moreton Island regularly since I was a boy and can't stand the thought of the Cape being covered in oil.

Disgusting!

I am keen to get out for Billfish too, but I don't see that trolling skirts through and oil slick is likely to improve my strike rate>:(

Cheers,
Myles

whatscracken
14-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm heading out off south passage tomorrow, won't be going up that far though.

Liberty
14-03-2009, 04:01 PM
We're going to stick our nose around Combi point tomorrow morning about 7:30ish.

If anyone wants an update, call me on VHF21.

backlash08
14-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks Nigel,
look forward to hearing an update - it sure is a mess, I was thinking I might just stay up north a bit for the next week or so so I'm off to the hards/banks on tuesday
cheers - Craig

eotbmg
14-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey Nigel
Franky did the smart thing, fished Borumba, the only oil there is off slimy toga
Good luck to you and Scotty if you venture out.
Can you guys give us a report on the state of things out there???
I am just worried about the long term effects of this catastrophe.
Poor plankton is the start of it, every thing else is to follow.
Broke my heart to see that pelican all greasy and sludged up with oil.........
We live and fish here because its gods country, now some arse wipe has spoiled it for every one [ but hopefully not for too long!!!!]
Thanks
Ben

Liberty
14-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey Nigel
Franky did the smart thing, fished Borumba, the only oil there is off slimy toga
Good luck to you and Scotty if you venture out.
Can you guys give us a report on the state of things out there???
I am just worried about the long term effects of this catastrophe.
Poor plankton is the start of it, every thing else is to follow.
Broke my heart to see that pelican all greasy and sludged up with oil.........
We live and fish here because its gods country, now some arse wipe has spoiled it for every one [ but hopefully not for too long!!!!]
Thanks
Ben

Yeah no probs Ben, give me a yell on 21.

I am dreading seeing Flinders ...

rogerb
14-03-2009, 06:54 PM
We will be going out from Mooloolaba on Monday and will post a report on what we see, no signs of oil in the river this afternoon.

bdaearth
14-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I will also be heading out on monday from what I can tell most of the oil is already on land !!! we willl be heading from bribie to the banks.

sleepygreg
14-03-2009, 11:23 PM
There should be quite a few of our club members going out tomorrow, as it is our club weekend. I will let you know their reports after the weigh in tomorrow.

Cheers
Greg

captain rednut
14-03-2009, 11:32 PM
hi nigel im on standby to head out and wondering whats happening myself??? im going to leave sunday arvo from bribie and fish monday at this stage hoping theres some billfish around??? ill call you on 21 sunday to get an update, cheers jim

Out_There
15-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Just did a quick lap with the family out of mooloolaba, round the beachs of marouch and alex and saw no sign of any oil on the water.

backlash08
15-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks Out there - is the mouth of the harbour is open to all traffic?
cheers

BLOOEY
15-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Yep just came back from a trip out of mooloolaba. Saw nothing except Longtails Yipee. Ben

Liberty
15-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Back from the Cape.

Saw no oil at Hutchies or anywhere outside at all.

:-)

Had a reasonably close look around the Cape itself, and apart from one spot it is hard to pick any difference at all.

From what we could see the northern facing beaches on Moreton look fine and we couldn't see any evidence on the eastern beaches either for the first few k.

Maybe the crews have been achieving small miracles, dunno, but from a couple of hundred metres out to see, it all looked remarkably good. Maybe the high water mark where the oil is, is out of sight from sea level?

We did see the Honeymoon Bay (little bay between Cape and North Point) clean up in progress, and that clearly had a lot of oil on the beach on the sections that were being cleaned.

Still, I hope they hang up the Captain of that ship by his toenails for several millenia.

Fishbait
15-03-2009, 08:07 PM
How was outside today Liberty?

Franko was with me catching Toga's at the Borumba M&G. Poor bugger dropped 7 at the boat but did eventually land another 3 for some photos. He didn't get up too early on Saturday (gentlemen's hours) so couldn't see why his phone didn't ring before we got to Borumba and had no reception?;D ;D

Hope the cape is looking better today after all those horrible photos on the news last week.

Darren;)

Fishbait
15-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Ah whoops - posted just after your report mate - sorry! Cape looks good hey! Thank God!

ooglie74
15-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Here are the pics of the cape from today with nigel.

Cheers Troy

Liberty
15-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Was a beautiful day. I clumsily broke off a very animated 50kg Black off Hutchies and we lost another 3 lures to Hoo.

Matt on Dreamcatcher got a 140kg Blue on the shelf off the Cape. That has got to be a record for a Whittley!

:-)

ooglie74
15-03-2009, 08:47 PM
DOnt forget the lures without hooks and the mini marlin we caught and the tuna and rainbow runner.

Come on mate.lol
Matt also caught 2 dollies in the 15kg range.

Cheers Troy

skipalong
15-03-2009, 09:00 PM
nice the water looks supprisingly beautiful from those shots troy.

considering, thought it may have been worse,

justin

sleepygreg
15-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Good one guys.

Yep ....The Blue weighed in for Matt on Dream Catcher at 140kg. The dollies went 14kg. Thats his second billie this week that came up tail wrapped...along with the 78kg black last tuesday.

'In The Black' got a nice tub of estuary cod for his crew with the best going 22kg and the second best going 14kg....didnt weigh the others as they werent club members, but was a nice bag of fish anyway. Reel Magic got some pearlies, while Firebird got a mixed bag of mack tuna, pearlies and parrot.

All boats reported no oil in the water, and a good days fishing.

Greg

Angla
16-03-2009, 01:00 AM
All these reports are encouraging for the fishing. I would like to hear from the divers amongst us about the likes of Cherubs Cave and Henderson Rock to Flinders Reef.

Chris

Liberty
16-03-2009, 08:52 AM
DOnt forget the lures without hooks and the mini marlin we caught and the tuna and rainbow runner.

Come on mate.lol
Matt also caught 2 dollies in the 15kg range.

Cheers Troy

Yeah Troy, I havent seen you that excited on the "mini marlin" for some time. I'll let you spill the beans ...

;D

Was a good day. Still have vivid recollection of that Black trying to walk back to Cairns ...

ooglie74
16-03-2009, 02:34 PM
PNigel talking about me playing with 4-5ft longtom on slug at hutchies awesome fun with spinning.

Cheers Troy

iceknight
16-03-2009, 03:36 PM
get any placcy fishing done??

ooglie74
16-03-2009, 06:21 PM
A Breif fish with the plastics, its was very quiet.

Cheers Troy

iceknight
16-03-2009, 06:32 PM
sucks ayee... last week i gave them a full on go for the first time outside.. had some good fish boated.....