PDA

View Full Version : Need to bog up a bung-hole..

disorderly
13-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I have a real old De-Haviland tinny which has a bung in the bottom ..last trip the bung came free and it was amazing how much water comes through a 1 inch hole in the bottom....once we realized where the water was coming from it was easy enough to stop and we made it home OK...

Upon inspection the bung-hole has corroded out and the bung was simply sitting in place held by a generous helping of black sealant...I only use the boat for the creeks and am wondering what product I can use to hold the bung back in place that might seal it up and last a while...???

Scott

Wahoo
13-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a real old De-Haviland tinny which has a bung in the bottom ..last trip the bung came free and it was amazing how much water comes through a 1 inch hole in the bottom....once we realized where the water was coming from it was easy enough to stop and we made it home OK...

Upon inspection the bung-hole has corroded out and the bung was simply sitting in place held by a generous helping of black sealant...I only use the boat for the creeks and am wondering what product I can use to hold the bung back in place that might seal it up and last a while...???

Scott

Scott, for a short temp fix i would get some thin alloy ( beer can) cut to shape and the good ol trusty sika

Daz

SNAPPERCOFFIN
13-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Sicaflex Marine grade will last forever trick is when setting it back in is when you put the bung back in don't push all the sica out leave it in a bed of a couple of mm.

disorderly
13-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok guys..sika it is....

would it be better to put the alloy on the outside?

thephotoguru
13-03-2009, 08:41 PM
needit marine grade. not exactly sure what it's called but it is great stuff to fix cracks holes leakes etc.

Can get it from BCF

Cheers Eamon

Dan5
13-03-2009, 11:34 PM
what about drilling it out and fitting in one of the threaded screw in type's.

Horse
14-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Sika the old bung back in. Just clean the alloy well before applying. I had an old 16' Abalone that I used for nearly 9 months with a 6" hull crack bogged with Sika. Never leaked a drop.

catfishkid
14-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Ok guys..sika it is....

would it be better to put the alloy on the outside?

I would consider both inside and out if possible,double the insurance;)

Cheers Craig

BaitThrower
14-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I got same kinda problem, although smaller scale. Just need to refill a small river hole I drilled out to remove the old bung assembly. Going to fill that hold with some Metal Knead-It type filler and then Sikaflex and screw and nut the new bung assemblys in.

black runner
14-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Sellys kneadit comes in a below waterline epoxy mix ( works up into a putty). I used it when i fitted a bolt on Maxi-transom bracket. The bracket didn't mate up at all well to the verticle edge of the transom duckboard trim. So i stuck kneadit to the bracket and placed cling wrap (stops it sticking an peels away when kneadit is dry) on the transom edge then pushed the bracket up hard. It made a perfect spacer with absolutely no gaps. Once set and trimmed, a bit of sika and bolts and it looks like its been welded in place. Brilliant stuff!

Cheers