PDA

View Full Version : Middle Creek/bustard Head

boogdude
12-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Headed up to Middle ck on the 6th and got chased out by cyclone Hamish on Sunday the 8th. In the the short time that we were there, we got aprox 15 muddies, 4-5kgs of prawns in one sitting (stuck up creek at low tide, nothing to do but drink and cast for prawns).

Day one, took the 4.2m tinnie out through the bar at middle and headed straight to bustard. Trolled with only a couple of hits. Switched to plastics. First hookup was the 12kg golden trevally below. Second drift, both rods got busted off big time by some angy GT's. Only had 4000 size reels and again on the 3rd drift 20+kg GT's busting us off in the 1-2m water. Hookup with several baracouta's and one metre plus queenie which threw the slug at us at the boat

Set out for tuna then with schools everywhere between inner and outer rocks. Got 3 mack tunas 4 -8kgs and 3 yellowfins 4-7kgs each. With heaps of bust offs.

Day two back out through the bar, but was heaps rougher. Bit dangerous drifting close to inner rocks, but got a couple tuna (mack and yellowfins). Small spanish (450mm) on a plastic (4inch gulp minnow), several bust offs again by toothy critters around rocks. Had to duck for cover up pancake cos weather was getting pretty bad. Pancake at low tide is difficult to navigate at low tide, so we spent probable two hours pushing the boat over the 30cm deep water, only to get stopped by the road track that joins middle and pancake.

Sat there for another two hours casting for prawns and having a few drinks.
Back around the crab pots by 5pm, to pull in another 5 bucks ready for dinner.

Pretty good trip in all, and being the first time outside of middle was quite suprised.

Next time will head to middle or outer for maybe a chance at some reefies.

snagking
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds like a great trip!
Good work on the trevally, bet they pulled really hard!

boogdude
12-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah, took my deckie round 40mins all up. Was caught on 15 pound braid, with 20lb leader. Caught using anabu overhead on a 2-4kg ugly stick rod. Plastic was a 4inch gulp minnow in the brown and white colour.
Fish was released unharmed, (took about 15 minutes to get him to swim off).

Most of the tuna were caught with my new daiwa sol 3000, on 20lb nitlon braid. Best 3000 reel i've had to date. Drag is very smooth. Looking for a 4000 sol now.

warti
12-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Good catch, i go to middle creek a little bit, you also missed some great fishing inside the creek. The only thing is you may have actually caught big eye tuna not yellowfin:'( . Yes they have yellow fins but are slightly different, still not bad eating though. I have caught a few of these at the wides.

samson
12-03-2009, 06:09 PM
No big eye's or yellow's in those pis's only long tail tuna and mac tuna very common in that area.

hooknose
12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Good fun in a top location, bad luck you didnt hook into a couple of decent Spanish, I hear there are a few around at the moment( before the blow anyhow) !!

warti
12-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Samson you are right but i was asuming that they have mistaken B.E.T for Y.F.T not shown in pics.

Cervinator
12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
hay where abouts isit in aus??

cheers cervi

jtpython
12-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Some stonkers of crabs there mate nice mixed bag ............. Dam shame having to eat them prawns and crabs
Jt

magnum455
13-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Hay boogdude, we go up every June / July & camp in Pancke Creek fo a week & fish inner, middle & outer rock but we mainly bottom fish, some great ground up there. Just intrested to know what the bar at middle creek is like to cross & what the track in from 1770 is like? We always come in from turkey & put in at the causway where u got stuck. Great pics cant wait for this years trip.

twist
13-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Teah mate top spot isn't it. I was wanting also to know what its like to get in and out of middle creek. We go and stay in 1770 every year in May and leave from Round Hill. Would love a creek session because Round Hill Ck is sooo shallow. Any tips would be great.

Twist

boogdude
14-03-2009, 06:32 PM
twist - Getting in to middle is ok. Need 4wd, incase in gets a little wet. Track gets tight through the rainforest section. Long boat trailers might clip a couple trees. The water up middle gets low at low tide. Good to know where the rocks are, or props go bye bye.

magnum455 - The bar was ok on Friday. On the low tide it was a bit hairy, but was a good chanel that headed in the se direction which made it easy to get out. The track is not as slow as it used to be. 4wd reccommended, as a couple of water crossings, large tree roots and couple bog holes still. Takes about 45 mins to middle from the road at an easy pace.

Cervinator- Middle creek is just north of 1770. Which is aprox 6-7 hours north of Brisbane.