PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Crossing

Nqfisho
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I am hoping someone out there in the wider community might be able to help me with a trip I am currently planning. I am looking at taking a 24 foot Sea Swirl across the gulf from Weipa to Gove and would like to know if anyone has done this trip before or have thought about it and had to give up for any reason. Any input is welcome as to date I cannot see any major problems with this trip however i am sure i am missing something.

levinge
12-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Check with the local authorities at both end with regard to best months to do this.

My old man was a trawler skipper in the Gulf for a number of years and it is one place that can catch you out very quickly if your not prepared.

Take 2 of every type of safety equipment (especially an extra epirb), just in case you have failures in the primary gear.

Its a long way I hope you really think it through before attempting it.

Best of Luck

Brett

GBC
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
When?

It's a sh!t boring trip across stinking hot oily windless seas interspersed with boils of tuna everywhere on a good day during the build up

Tunnel storms will be fun for you.
Waterspouts everywhere during Summer.
Windy in Winter.

Fuel (via Groote?) or coast hop?

Doable sure, but the best fun's around the outside, not in the middle.

Kajiki
12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
There was a series of reports in F&B of a guy and his Mrs taking a big cat from the Goldy to there. Maybe it is on the Seamedia site.

levinge
13-03-2009, 11:41 AM
If your going direct, how much fuel are you going to be carrying onboard. Thats a big distance even on a 24ft boat. A couple of Kidney Belts wouldn't go astray either!!!

freefish
13-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Not quite the trip you're planning but there is an old book (1969) by the Leyland bros of when they took an 18 foot quintrex from Darwin to Sydney. Interesting reading. "Untamed Coast" by Mike & Mal Leyland

Nanny King NQ
14-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Those Leylands sure did travel all over the country side.

HAHAHAHA

Cheers....8-)

Nqfisho
18-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the input so far from everyone, I will have a look at the reference material you have suggested. As for the planning of fuel drops and travel times, I have come on here as a first check to see if anyone knows if the trip is possible and will start the planning from here. The fuel for the crossing of the gulf looks good as the boat will do around the 700km on a 420L tank and the trip is 600km plus I will be carrying an additional 150L of fuel in case.

the route planned is straight across the gulf from Weipa to Gove and then follow the coast on the return fishing and camping all the way.

The trip is planned for the end of november and will hopefully catch the calm weather experienced before the wet comes in.

Karl

boys play
18-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Karl,
there is book called 'Keep Australia on your Left'..can't recall the author Eric someone...about two guys who paddled a sea kayak from Sydney to Darwin. The gulf crossing was fairly well detailed...may be of assistance.
cheers
Ian

nickstock
26-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I rerember reading the kayak story. I think it was in Aust geo? It detailed the trip from Weipa to Darwin. He made it in a 12 foot kyak so I am sure that you could do it. I dont see why you would want to though? There is a lot of shitty shallow water in between. My partner is from Gove and I can see why you would want to fish there. The same goes for Weipa . The trip across the two would be an adventure I guess.

With planning I can not see why you could not pull it off.

Keep us posted mate,

Nick

freefish
27-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi Again, Had thoughts of the same trip 20 years ago in my lone sailing days, in a 8m yacht. The main problem as I see it is the time factor. Point to point 600 km @ average 35 km/hr = 15/17 hours. Are you & the boat fit enough for this amount of continuous running?

nickstock
27-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Why would it need to be continuous running?

Chimo
29-03-2009, 09:59 AM
From memory the Voyager Cat trip remarked about total lack of chart coverage around the edge and the presence of lots of things to hit. The Voyager had a couple of big advantages in that the skipper was up high and could see and he travelled somewhat slower with greater fuel reserves than you. I think he did it both ways ie up and back iId have to hunt up the mags to check as the story was over multiple issues.

If you do it, could make for an interesting thread.............

Cheers
Chimo

Nqfisho
30-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks to everyone for putting information up here as it is always handy to have other points of view to highlight areas you haven't thought of.

With regards to the time to complete the crossing I will have three other people in the boat and the plan would be to have a person at the wheel for the day time and once the night fell have rotating shifts of between 1.5 and 2.5 hours to reduce fatigue. We would run continuous as the less time in the middle the less chance of incountering bad weather and the more time fishing around the Islands and coast on the way home.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress of the trip planning however I will be away from the computer for the next 3 1/2 weeks travelling around the cape on a fishing trip.

Nick, on your post the reason for the crossing is I woud like to fish the gulf from Weipa to gove but don't want to see the same country each way so the easiest way to prevent this is to cross the gulf on the trip over and then travel back to Weipa hugging the coast and fishing all the way.

Karl

Noiseworks
31-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Look forward to hearing about the journey. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime and something that will be looked back on. Congratulations for making the leap. Lotsa luck.

Cheers
Noiseworks

freefish
31-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Beyond me now but best of luck & will be with you in spirit. Bill

Nqfisho
02-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Bill,

I take it you never made it across the gulf in the end? what put you off? was it the time factor?

freefish
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi, Wasn't the time factor for the trip. It was to come after retiring early & a slow trip up the coast. Circumstances changed & had to keep postponing it & now health issues have curtailed most activities away from support. My advice is to do it now as you might never get another chance. Bill