PDA

View Full Version : $40G Cat

insideout
12-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Is it do-able?, has anybody here found a 6 mtr cat recently that was about $40 G? (in good nic) .I just had a read of F&B’s”Powered Cats Of Australia Directory” and there was a good article about “Re-powering Cats with 4 strokes”. It seemed to me that what they were saying is that you could go out and find a good cat hull ( sharkcat , ect) dump the engines, and get new four strokes, electrics, ect,and have a great blue water boat, for about 2/3 new boat price.
I am looking at boats to about 6 mtrs, and not knowing a lot about the inner workings of hulls, am asking advice on what to lookout for with older cat hulls, and which ones seem to be the best performing. I originally was after a plate cat, for I like to fish alone half the time, and it was to be easier to launch at the ramp, but people keep telling me that glass is the way to go for the best ride?. I have owned a cat before , and sold it, it was expensive ( I could not justify a over $100 g boat sitting down the back when it could pay off my mortgage) to get something between 5-6 mtrs, and will cost me $40 - $50 G. All the info and help I can get from anybody who has been(and going) down this path will be greatly appreciated. Insideout.

boatboy50
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey IO,

Just remember that any glass cat you get in the price bracket of 50K willl be an old hull with oldish engines.

After coming back from a 2400 KC, a 5.6m Shark Cat or 5.2m KC will be a disappointment. A 23 Shark Cat will be better than your 2400, but towing is an issue, as is getting a decent one with late model engines for 50K.

IMHO, you'd be better off coming back to a late model 6.0m mono, such as a Seafarer Victory or similar.

Regards

Darren