PDA

View Full Version : Motor Support while Travelling

PeterInSA
12-03-2009, 08:36 AM
When my 85Hp Merc motor (Blue Band) is on our 16ft Half Cabin/trailer while travelling I previously used an adjustable fork to hold the motor firm. The bottom of the fork was connected to the end of the trailer. For some reason I have either misplaced the fork or lent it to a mate/son and last few trips have used the bracket on the motor to hold the unit up.

At the ramps don't see to many boaties using these forks, should I continue to lift the motor up using the hydraulics and then maunually lift a bit more to push in the L shaped brackets. Or buy another Fork.

Peter

STUIE63
12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Peter buy another fork they aren't dear and will be a lot better than the little bracket that comes standard
Stuie

MarkDiver
12-03-2009, 09:01 AM
PeterinSA
The little bracket may stop the engine from falling however it does not take weight off the transom when you're travelling i.e. there is no substitute for the fork arm - buy another one!

levinge
12-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Another alternative alot of guys use is a wood block placed between the leg and bracket, drop the hydraulics down until it wedges the block against the bracket.

I use this with my Honda 135HP when travelling on the highway, but usually just locked the hyrdaulics with the arm mounted on the motor (short trips only).

PeterInSA
12-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Will buy another Fork.

Thanks for the replies

Peter

dnej
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Definitely no substitute for a good fork.
David

Dan5
12-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Definitely no substitute for a good fork.
David

Funny man.........I pi$$ed myself forking laughing,

Dan,

Greg P
12-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Funny man.........I pi$$ed myself forking laughing,

Dan,

LOL yes it certainly seems to be a thread where all the forkheads have come out ;D;D;D

BigE
12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
If your transom can't support the weight of the engine , how will it cope under full thrust at sea??? I think forks are a waste. better your donk falls off on the highway than 10kms out to sea!!!!

BigE

ozscott
12-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I have used just the bracket supports on the Yam 115 and never had a problem...I cannot use an external bracket because of the drive on trailer design.

Cheers

mercury'srising
12-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Just to add to the forking fun. A Blueband Merc has outrigger trim rams. When you have the motor to it's peak tilt to engauge the locks the motor will still bounce when being towed and the ram shafts subject to full compression, a common cause of failure on an otherwise reliable hydraulic system. I have always used a support bracket and bar and I've had more than a few of these baby's. The support will of course relieve weight from the transom.

**MERCS ARE STILL RISING WHILE OTHERS FALL**

dnej
12-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Seriously, I wouldnt be without mine, after following those that dont have them fitted.It has to be hard on the motor itself.
David

Nanny King NQ
12-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Use a thick plank of wood cheap relieable and can use it to chase away unwanted people.

PeterInSA
13-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Bought one $40, in Adelaide.

Peter

ozscott
13-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Thats quite a bit for a lump of wood Peter - unless its teak:)

STUIE63
13-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I have used just the bracket supports on the Yam 115 and never had a problem...I cannot use an external bracket because of the drive on trailer design.

Cheers
Ozscott I have a dunbier drive on trailer and got a spreader bar that clips/pins to my trailer and it basically covers the u shaped bit on the trailer and gives me somewhere to mount my leg support mate it might be worthwhile talking to whitworths . bias or your trailer manufacturer I don't know where mine came from because I ordered it with the boat from galeforce boats
Stuie

Marlin_Mike
13-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Fork down to trailer for me

Mike

levinge
13-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Use a thick plank of wood cheap relieable and can use it to chase away unwanted people.

Hey Rod, I'd get too tired waving mine around its the size of a large table leg (support bracket that is)!!!

black runner
13-03-2009, 06:15 PM
There has been quite a bit of debate about this before and one view is that the stresses imparted on the transom/motor while on the trailer and being towed is far less than that which would be experienced during on water operation. I suppose until someone hooks up an accelerometer/pressure sensors we will never know. I suppose someone could try sitting at the back near the transom while on the trailer and going for a spin and then compare with the ride in some rough on the water? But thats only part of the story.

I used to used a spring loaded support on my previous boat but that didn't have ptt so the motor/leg was free to pivot and the motor support absorbed all the shock down to the trailer.

The difference with PTT is that while ever the trailer and boat don't move in unison (which is always the case because all trailers flex) and your support is between leg and trailer, there may well be +ve and -ve shock stresses on the PTT unit every time the trailer hits a bump.

For this reason I don't use a support on my current setup. But I stand corrected if someone can produce evidence to the contrary.

Cheers