PDA

View Full Version : The New Boat

Ally Jack
11-03-2009, 09:44 PM
After 4 days and 3000k’s the latest addition to the fleet is here. Got home to Gladstone on Saturday, and spent all day Sunday getting ready for a cyclone, worried that the new boat wasn’t in a shed (next job).
It’s a 98 model Seafarer Vagabond with Twin 115 Evinrudes on the back. The boat is in top condition and the motors have only done 250 hours. I know that these motors don’t have the best reputation but after some research and pm’s with noelm (thanks) I’m happy that they’ll do the job for me. They were modified from new with 150hp legs fitted to the 115 powerhead to get the counter rotating prop’s.
Just needs a couple of little things fitted, VHF and new EPIRB, and it’s ready for outside.
Also thanks to Marty – Captain Seaweed for your thoughts on the boat.
Mainly going to be a reef boat for me, but as the twins get older, camping and fishing for the family as well.
Hope to get it out this Sunday for a run at least in the harbour, the test run on Lake Macquarie would have been good for a skier on the back barefooting.
Some pics of the boat, sorry none from inside as the cover wasn’t off for long, had to get a finger out and clean up the yard.

russ81
11-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Mate she is a nice looking rig bet you cant wait to get her out

boatboy50
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey,

Is that the rig that had a run on EBAY for a while?

It was priced well.

Darren

Ally Jack
11-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Darren,

that's the one. I thought there must be something wrong with it as all the other vagabond's advertised were 10k+ dearer, and if there is I haven't found it yet

Russ,
hanging out for Sunday

Ally Jack

wags on the water
11-03-2009, 10:33 PM
All the best with the new toy Allyjack, fingers crossed for good weather too.
Cheers,
Wags

Krashtackle
11-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I know how it feels. We got our new boat this week and then rain and wind all week, we can't get out for a fish :( Oh well she is a nice garden feature for now ;D

Ally Jack
12-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Wags,
I'm going Sunday unless that cyclone is coming up the Gladdy harbour. Really want to take the old boy for a run, he drove down with me to pick up the boat but didn't come for a run in it. I guess I should take the missus too.......:) ;)

Krash,
you want to go fishing too....I'm keen just to get on the water this weekend let alone fish, I haven't dropped a line in since last August....:'(

Ally Jack

Angla
12-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Them donks should push it along very well indeed.
Good Luck with the test run and I hope all is well for a long period

Chris

Wahoo
12-03-2009, 05:39 AM
very nice looking boat A/J, i have always liked them seafarer, but isnt it always the way, new boat and the wind dont stop blowing for what seems ages, congrats

Daz

TimiBoy
12-03-2009, 05:45 AM
I so very nearly bought a Vagabond, and the reasons I didn't were tiny -

- no underfloor eskies (easily solved)
- dealers didn't want to fit a V-Rod (they are addicted to Evinrudes)
- not enough room for the missus up front. (key factor!)

So I had to go bigger...

They are a lovely tub, I hope she goes well for you. It amazes me that someone went to the trouble of setting her up with twins that way, and then did 25 hours a year...

Cheers,

Tim

Az
12-03-2009, 06:55 AM
nice rig mate - all the best!

Chimo
12-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi AJ

They are a good boat, have to say that as I have one too.

But they are a much better boat with the engins lifted as high as you can go depending on your props. Vipers need to be run deeper than Rakers which can go higher ie operate as surface piercers when the motors are trimmed way up and your doing something like 40 to 45kn!

Also fit trim tabs. They make such a difference to performance IMHO. Lindsay fitted Lencos that work very well. The screw ram goes thru holes in the "steps"

What size fuel tank have you got and is yours the stnd bunk or the extended bunk version?

Also would pay you to check that the SS fuel tank is sitting on teflon spacers as the ss tends to get holes (and leak) if the tank is sitting directly on the frp tank bed.

Cheers
Chimo

levinge
12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Mate she looks might pretty, hope she gives you hours of enjoyment.

The-easyrider
12-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Looks like a great boat8-) gotta hate the wind I've had three boats in a row that on pick up day it was blowing its ring out, the last one it was 30kn plus and we were sitting down at the ramp conterplating putting her in I knew the boat would handle the conditions I was worried my marriage would not survive the getting boat back on the trailer ;D

Ally Jack
12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Timi,

The seller said work got in the way of using the boat and the rest of the family was into tubing and kneeboards not fishing.

Chimo,

Thanks for the info. The motors have vipers fitted at the moment. Is there some adaptor plates for the trim tabs to fit the back of the hull? I mean its not a flat surface between the pod and side of the hull.

Wahoo/Easyrider,

It was blowning up bad when I got the allycraft too, and it looks like this cyclone come rain depression is heading back up the coast

Ally Jack

disorderly
12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Very nice rig Ally jack..

I spent a lot of time on seafarers when I was a kid as my old man had a 15-16 footer, then later a 20 footer....great boats and I have a soft spot for them still..

It should really move along well with the twins on the back..she will be a lovely reef boat..enjoy:)..

Scott

Chimo
12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi AJ

Pics of tabs They go straight on.

Also foils on both motors that also booste lift.

Foils are above water surface when at med to high speed cruise

Motor is lifted up quite a bit too NB Raker props with 20''pitch

Cheers
Chimo

Ally Jack
12-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Chimo,

Thanks for the pics, I'll look into the tabs soon. I think I'll work them into the cost of the shed or call them safety equipment so the missus won't mind as much:D

Scott,

I'm hoping it'll be a good boat too. I don't think it's done much fishing in it's life so far, but it'll get some blood on it soon

Ally Jack