PDA

View Full Version : 50 E Tec

Bowser
11-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I will be looking at a new motor soon. I don't want to get into a discussion on Yammies vs Etec Vs Sooks vs Mercs.

I just want feedback from owners of 40/50/60 etecs on th economy, vibration and noise levels of these motors. I have heard some comments, including some from Evinrude promos themselves that the 2 cylinder motors aren't as smoot as the 3 and 4 cylinder offerings from other manufacturers and also that at full blat they aren't as economical or as quiet as 4 strokes. The differences may be small but I would appreciate any comments from people who own or have been involved in them.

bushbeachboy
11-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Are you looking at tiller steer or wheel steer?

Bowser
11-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Forward control

vini79
11-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a 60 and love it to death! I have since fitted a permatrim and it helps get the boat up and out of the water very quick. The standard stainless prop is great and basically its a very economical engine. I have done 130 hrs and used 4lt of XD100 oil, used bugger all fuel and serviced it once. The pulgs were shot but i downrigg at idol most of the time. If its not at idol it is flat stick.
There are quieter motors but its hard to compare a 2 stroke with its simplicity over a 4 stroke. It idols quite faultlessly, Just the odd hickup now and then. In saying that a 3cyl or 4 cly is always going to be smoother.
I would look at the 60 over the 50 if you can. Much gruntier motor. They did something with the exhaust valve that makes it go that much harder.
I am a happy camper.

RJ5023
12-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Bowser,

I've been using a 50 Etec for more than 3 years. Pretty quiet, not as quiet at idle as a Suzi 4 stroke but same noise flat out. Vibrates a lot at idle, but not bad when idling in gear (trolling). Can't compare with 4 stroke fuel economy, but uses about half as much fuel as the 50 2 stroke Johno it replaced. Some fumes, but not all the time, and not enough to worry me. Uses XD100 oil - and bugger all of it.

The 50's seem to have a bit of a "miss" at around 1800-2000rpm. Dealer says that it's the transition point in the fuel flow timing - or some such - they all do it. (I trust my dealer). It's not a problem but you do notice it happening sometimes.

Goes as well as the 2 stroke did - probably better because of the stainless prop. Very reliable, and cheap to service.

It's a toss up between a 4 stroke and Etec. Weight, purchase cost, services cost and a reliable local dealer will probably decide it for you. Fuel economy probably won't be a big decider - not much in it - service costs are more imporant.

I'd buy another Etec before a 4 stroke, and my dealer sells both.

Good luck,
RJ

Bowser
12-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Vini, thanks for that. Unfortunately I a stuck at 50hp by boat rating, otherwise the decision would be easy. I was interested to read your comment about fitting a permatrim. One of the reasons I was looking at the ETec was the hole shot advantage but from your comment it may not be as great as I thought. My first choice of engine would be the Yammie 4 stroke as I have a 40 on my existing boat and I am happy with it's performance except in hole shot, a weak area for 4 bangers. May I ask what sort of boat are you running?

disorderly
12-03-2009, 07:00 AM
and cheap to service.

RJ

Mine is nearly due for a service...

How much was your service,RJ and how long did it take?

Scott

RJ5023
12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Scott,

$365 - took a couple of hours I think - left it there for the morning. New impeller, plugs s/w upgrade etc..

RJ

vini79
12-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Vini, thanks for that. Unfortunately I a stuck at 50hp by boat rating, otherwise the decision would be easy. I was interested to read your comment about fitting a permatrim. One of the reasons I was looking at the ETec was the hole shot advantage but from your comment it may not be as great as I thought. My first choice of engine would be the Yammie 4 stroke as I have a 40 on my existing boat and I am happy with it's performance except in hole shot, a weak area for 4 bangers. May I ask what sort of boat are you running?

Bowser,
The reason i got the permatrim was that my previous boat (i had this engine fitted to that before fitting it to the current) Was very stern heavy. It was a 4.6 alloy boat with 50lt fuel, 60lt live well and 2 bateries and 2 electric downriggers on the ass end. The permatrim just helped level it out and stop it from porposing.
I now have the engine fitted to my haines 445F and its supurb. I havent tried it without the permatrim on that boat but it is very responsive. The hole shot you will get from the etec will blow your mind. The first time i took it out i was so impressed. I was on the phone to the dealer thanking him in minuites. You wont regret it.
what boat are you fitting it 2?

juju
12-03-2009, 12:19 PM

I know what you mean, mine is rated to 80....could have got a really good price on a 90....but the 75 has been great, no dramas at all..

Bowser
12-03-2009, 06:26 PM
The boat is new hull being finished off as a centre console 4.6 m aluminium. Will be the duck's guts when it all comes together with all the bells and whistles. NMEA2000 gauges, storage galore, TTop, no guys to worry about, plenty of freeboard and protection from the weather if needed.

twist
12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Bowser,

I have two 50 etec motors on my boat. They have been great. Economical efficient and strong out of the hole. If you like them - get one!
I have nothing more to say.

Bowser
13-03-2009, 09:59 PM
My first preference is the Yammie but I have concerns about the hole shot. Problem with boats is the inability to test the motor on the boat before you buy, cars are much simpler that way. I also chased up some quick price quotes the other day and contrary to expectations the ETecs were cheaper. Not sure why, if it is old stock or price rises or what. They have been signifacatly dearer then Yammies and a lot dearer then Zooks until now.

sharkymark2
13-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I had a 50hp Evinrude 2 stroke 88 model on the back of a 15' nautiglass and the holeshot was fantastic and power plenty. I replaced it with the 60hp yammie 4 stroke and it was not quite as good. Just a bit more stick initially and then back it off. Motor is quiter at low revs but similar at higher revs. The lack of engine oil is just great and the way the motor starts :) a dream come true.
The Evinrude sure appears to take up a lot less room though.