PDA

View Full Version : Keel Protection

fishyjoe
11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing keel protection for my fibreglass 5.9mt boat and would be grateful if I could get some ideas that have worked for anyone.

I have heard about keel shield/guard and a rubber product that is sprayed on?

Many thanks

Joe

Briannes
11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi I have a Yalta 535 I purchased some "keel Guard" it is self adhesive 3m product not cheap $300 for 5ft but works a treat had mine on for 2 years, you can nudge the ramp a little without panaking needs to applied with care and properly. It is about 200mm wide to wrap around the keel and is 5ft long approx 6mm thick hope this helps. will need two to apply.
cheers Brian

fishyjoe
12-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Many thanks Brian,

I will look into it.

cheers

Joe

MyEscape
13-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Joe,

I had a 3m keelguard on my cruisecraft a couple of years ago. The dealer installed it. Not sure whether it wasn't a good installation job butit did have to be replaced shortly after as it separated from the backing.

The second one was fine though, however I didn't end up keeping the boat for long so I can't say how long they last.

They are good quality rubber? though, and I can imagine providing it stays on the keel, it will certainly protect the keel from bumps and grazes from the ramp.

Better still, only use those ramps with a pontoon!!!!! Like, they're everywhere;D

Steve