PDA

View Full Version : Next new boat question......

Damned67
10-03-2009, 02:30 PM
This might come across as a strange question.....
I'm off to see Phil at Viper boats to spec out and order up a new 4.2 tinnie, and I can't wait.
But here's the question:
Paint vs bare?
Pro's and con's?

I'm trying to do this 'on the cheap', but still want it done right the first time....

Scott Ashe
10-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi mate,

This is just my opinion, painted boats look really good however, when you get a few scratches and paint chips it won't look so good. When I ordered my new Allycraft in 2007, I opted for an upainted hull, and you might say it's only a boat but I still get annoyed if my boat get scratched. I went to BCF, and bought a couple of fenders to hang over the side to try to minimise scratches etc when coming into the pontoon. A upainted hull will be cheaper too.

Cheers
Scott

STUIE63
10-03-2009, 02:54 PM
if I was to ever buy another tinny it would be unpainted too many scratches with paint
Stuie

GBC
10-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Do some research on Nyalic. You can apply it yourself to a new boat.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
10-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Give the nyalic a miss as it aint petrol resistant go for shark hide think someone like sunshine pontoons supply it.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
But would stone flex the inside to cut down on glare also carpet of rubber matting.

Damned67
10-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm happy to go unpainted. Is there any downside like corrosion?

Secondly, how can I keep up the appearance of an unpainted hull, keeping it looking 'new' for as long as possible?

FNQCairns
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Are you going to keep the boat like forever? If so then forget the paint it's a heart and wallet ache given time and by then you most probably will not be bothered about owning an unpainted tinny.

cheers fnq

Stik-ugly
10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I purchased a 4.2 viper and I am rapped in it its a great boat ,mine is black and I must admit it is a bit of a pain trying not to get it scratched but it does look good . I think you will find that they charge approx. $600 for paint

SNAPPERCOFFIN
10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm happy to go unpainted. Is there any downside like corrosion?

Secondly, how can I keep up the appearance of an unpainted hull, keeping it looking 'new' for as long as possible?

Sharkhide is clear so it will keep your boat looking new its around $120.00 a litre.
You will have some grind marks and peno marks on the job you will need to sand these down then even the whole job with a orbital sander with 80 grit then acid wash the boat then put the shark hide on in the shade with a rag or spray on then after 1st coat decals are put on then apply second coat. If you get real keen polish your rails as well. Put it on everywhere there is bare ali dont know how it would hold up on the bottom of the hull.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Here is a link

http://www.sunshinepontoons.com.au/sharkhide.htm

Damned67
10-03-2009, 08:12 PM
$600 is less than I would have expected, but I think they look awesome unpainted.... as long as I could keep the finish somewhat shiny.
And that 'sharkhide' might just be the answer!

So, you're happy with your viper then?

How's it go in the chop?

Stik-ugly
10-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I am very happy with the viper ,it seems to be well made and have had no problems .The ride is great but I have not been in any real choppy stuff so I can't comment there. I have rang Phil a few times about different things with the boat and he is more than happy to help out.

Damned67
10-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I've spoken to Phil a couple of times now, and the impression that I get is that customer service/satisfaction is very high on his list off priorities. The word of mouth, and Phil's demeanor on the phone alone have been enough to sell me one of his boats. Funny thing is, Phil has never actually tried to 'sell' a boat to me, ie do the hard sell, or tell me how much better his boats are than anyone elses. Just open, honest answers to my questions. No B.S.

The reason for this question is that I was asking about lead times for a new boat, and when I mentioned I wanted one with the open floor, he said he had one ready to 'go out for paint'.... and it got me thinking about painting it.

Brejen
11-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Damned,
good to hear mate. I am currently getting the biggest boat in VIPERS fleet being made at present, well both Phil and I are building it ( well Phil is I am trying too help). But will agree that there is nothing that Phil wont help with.

Every thing that i have suggested that should be in an offshore rig has been met and bettered.

I am getting mine painted ( wish it was only $600) and will just say that the colors will be awesome.

I'm sure you wont regret your choice..

What day are you going down there..

Brett

DR
11-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Damned,
good to hear mate. I am currently getting the biggest boat in VIPERS fleet being made at present, well both Phil and I are building it ( well Phil is I am trying too help). But will agree that there is nothing that Phil wont help with.

Every thing that i have suggested that should be in an offshore rig has been met and bettered.

I am getting mine painted ( wish it was only $600) and will just say that the colors will be awesome.

I'm sure you wont regret your choice..

What day are you going down there..

Brett
I can't wait to see 'Dorothy' ( I think Phil meant 'Barney') when she's finished ;D

Damned67
11-03-2009, 11:32 PM
'Hoping' to make it in on Monday.... But issues at work might prevent that.
Otherwise, Tuesday.... assuming that they'll be there and not partaking in St Pat's day celebrations. :D

If I had the time, I would have already been there.......

Brejen
13-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I can't wait to see 'Dorothy' ( I think Phil meant 'Barney') when she's finished ;D

Good onya Dave.

Damned we will be down the Sunday finishing off mine if that's better for you.

Brett

Damned67
13-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the offer Brett!
I actually live in Brisbane, but work on the coast, and the Boss (Me!) say's it's OK to take one of the mornings off to go see them......:D

Plus, I'm planning on fishing Sunday morning :)