PDA

View Full Version : MotorGuide PTSv - A good buy?

selous
10-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Greetings all

Researching a suitable electric motor for my new boat (5.3m Mako Max Frenzy), I found these on special at C*abelas

MotorGuide PTSv 109 Motors with Built-In Transducers

No more constant shifting left and right with your trolling motor to stay right on that breakline or creek channel the fish are holding tightly to. The PTSv 109 series is enhanced with MotorGuide's new Pinpoint Tracking System and digital tracking module. Guides itself right along the edge of the contour you're on. Five transducers in the nose cone keep constant track of the depths surrounding the boat and how far out to the side the bank is to make constant corrections and keep you right on track. The easy-to-view 128 x 64 pixel LCD display shows you digital depth, surface temperature and motor status. Includes Pinpoint interference-free network fishing system to link all units in the boat together. The foot control moves as quickly as on cable-driven motors and maintains its position. Lighted directional indicator. Spring-return breakaway Gator Mount. Stainless steel shaft. All PTSv motors are Pinpoint capable with a built-in transducer.

They are reduced from USD $2300 to USD $900. While a 24v would suffice, I think I could live with a 36v at that price. I do like the idea of the digital tracking which actually follows depth contours, shorelines or rivers as opposed to AP on the Minn Kotas, provided it works as advertised. I am going to the states in a few weeks, so I could post it back myself (C*abelas won't ship this outside the USA due to the size.) So at the current exchange rate of the Aussie peso to the greenback, the motor would cost AUD $1420 plus shipping. Allowing say $200 for shipping and $162 for GST, I would be up for around $1782 for this unit.

Now my specific questions

1. Is this a good buy in your opinion?

2. Has anyone used this model or one of it's smaller versions

3. How effective or useful is the Digital Tracking? Does it work as advertised?

4. Does anyone know if the warranty is USA only or International. The Motorguide Australia web address sends you to the American site, and the only warranty information I can find states to take it to an authorised service centre during the warranty period. It does not mention if that has to be in the USA (for one bought in the US)

5. What is Motorguide customer service like in Australia? Turn around times for warranty work?

Cheers

Rob

roydsy
10-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Sorry but no there warranties are worth the paper they are written on.

I have a SW75 motorguide which was prepaired twice by warranty, it took months each time, and the third time the same fault happened they said NO more warrranty. I will never buy Mercury/Mtorguide again.

I Have recently purchased a JW Watersnake 80Lb wireless to replace the dud motorguide product and should get it this week. I can place a report up if you like.

I am now waiting on a insurance claim to have the Motorguide electric motor fixed or replaced, but my policy is not new for old so therefore, I get 2/3 rd's of replacement value which is very dissapointing. I will sell the motrguyide once replaced.

4mths and waiting now, not good enough motorguide.

I would not recommend Motorguide or Mercury anymore.

All the best
Roydsy

Greetings all

Researching a suitable electric motor for my new boat (5.3m Mako Max Frenzy), I found these on special at C*abelas

MotorGuide PTSv 109 Motors with Built-In Transducers

5. What is Motorguide customer service like in Australia? Turn around times for warranty work?

Cheers

Rob