PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring and Boat retrieval

first_mate
08-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Some time ago, there was a post about ways to retrieve your boat from shore, having anchored it off the beach a bit due to tide highs and lows.
Does anyone have a diagram of how they have setup their boat retrieval system? All I remember is it used a float of some sort on the anchor and some sort of pulley/retrieval system with ropes and clips. Photos of anyone's setup would be great.

Cheers,:)
Angus

dnej
08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
It is virtually a rope circle, with your boat forming part of the rope.
Need two anchors.
Tie a rope to the stern cleat,with an anchor attached, but not tied off Hold onto the end of the rope in the boat, and set the anchor.
Then motor to shore, letting the stern rope out as you go.
Unload, then pull the boat out, into deeper water, using the stern rope.

Set the bow anchor, on the beach, attached to the bow.

Tie the stern rope off to the same anchor. You can retrieve the boat , and pull it back out again, as many times as you like.
David

freddofrog
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
like this???

Chimo
09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I do it a bit differently sometimes and use a pulley block attached to a short length of chain on the rear anchor and pass the line thru the pulley with a few meters of the line; depending on the depth; (paynter) from the endless loop that get gets tied off to the bow.

Drop the rear anchor with chain, pulley and paynter attached, then motor in to shore drop off all and your geat and then hand over hand the line until the short line (paynter) gets to the block then tie off the end of the loop to another anchor on shore (or a tree).

The loop lays on the bottom away from other boats props and the paynter rises more ot less straight up to the boat bow from the chain. Also the boat is free to swing in the current which places less load on the anchor etc so its safer over night etc and its away fron sticky fingers.

Cheers
Chimo

first_mate
09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will given those suggestions a try.

Cheers
Angus

surftravel
06-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Going camping from the boat this weekend and was talking about the endless loop system with a mate this arvo. He mentioned that it may not work, as there is no chain on the anchor out at the boat to weigh down the line. Therefore, if there was any sort of swell, the line would lift the anchor and the boat would then drift!

How do you combat that situation?

Cheers for any advice given,
Mick

Chimo
06-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Use a length of chain , ref post # 4

Chimo

MyWay
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
i just do like this
one anchor on front than revise boat back to beach shut down engine lift up and jump in water to up to knee and than 2nd anchor on back to the sand
just leave bit of 2 nd rope loose so when tide run out boat is still in water

or tie 2nd rope for tree or big rock ;D

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn101/mywayphotos/Untitled.jpg

myway

platinummarine
07-04-2009, 07:49 PM
There is a system called Anchor buddy available which has elastic rope. This keeps your boat in the water and you can tie your stern up on the beach and just pull it in when needed. Search google, I think they are down on the gold coast.

Sea-Dog
17-10-2009, 08:18 AM
i just do like this
one anchor on front than revise boat back to beach shut down engine lift up and jump in water to up to knee and than 2nd anchor on back to the sand

myway

Hey My Way,
Your boat seems to have a bit of water in the bilge - better turn on the bilge pump. :P

Geoff-
18-10-2009, 09:18 PM
also your beach rope is attached to a pile of dog poo - not very secure :P

besides that looks good to me ;D

Noelm
19-10-2009, 08:38 AM
the problem with that system Myway, is you cannot pull the boat to the beach to get in or out, you need to get wet, thats why the pulley system is far better, it allows for big tide movements, and you can always get into the boat anytime you like, although I prefer the bow into the wind/sea, so you may be stern to beach sometimes, or bow to beach other times, makes no difference. the system is still the same.

therapy
19-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Gedday First Mate,
This is a set up I used when staying on a mates island property. Took about 10 minutes to make and saved heaps of trouble and wet clothes when retrieving the boat. My boat is a 17 foot plate r/about and it was very managable.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=149695&highlight=boat+retrieval

Cheers.....Terry.....

cormorant
19-10-2009, 01:04 PM
different methods work in different tides and slope of beach.

The myway one works well but the bit he hasn't drawn on his artwork is the anchor chain that acts like the "elastic" or you can tie off another piece of chain suspended in the water column) on your anchor rode to act like a spring and draw your boat away from shore. To retrieve it you just pull the shore rope in until you can step on your boat. the amount of force you have to pull against is determined by the weight of teh anchor chain and / or additional chain in teh water column.

I have seen loops fail with abrasion, jam in pulley or thin rope used so always attach a seperate emergency line to shore so boat isn't swept away if using it overnight. ie always have a solid secured line to shore direct to boat.

nidrac
19-10-2009, 02:09 PM
i just do like this

myway

just a warning if you use this method and you have a reletively small boat and it rains, get the rainwater out of the boat or pull one of the anchors up.. we did this with our 12ft tinny up in hinchinbrook and got caught in a storm one night filled the boat with water and then only need the smallest wave to capsize/sink the whole lot.. woke up at 2 in the morning and was only able to see the red fuel tank floating on the water.. lost well over $3000 worth of stuff...

Nidrac.

Chimo
19-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Sorry myway but I really do prefer to have the boat able to swing bow to wind and current so the endless loop with the paynter attached so that the boat sits above the anchor chain and is able to swing as the tide and wind move.

Being able to step up onto the bow (via ladder) and retain dry feet and body is also nice.

All one needs to do is undo the to loop from the land anchor and hand over hand the endless loop on its pulley that is connected to the end of the anchor chain,and the bow presents itself on the beach at any stage of the tide.

Cheers
Chimo

sharkymark2
19-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I use the anchor buddy from Wynnum. Just anchor out deep with buddy attached and motor in to shore then anchor up to shore and then tighten front anchor line. Then let go of boat :). Boat then shoots out to deeper water and is easy to launch off at low tide. After having been stuck on the hard at the Bedrooms a few time i learnt to do it differently ;).

ROBENDOG
20-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Oops double post

ROBENDOG
20-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Chimo

I am very interested in your theory but just cannot picture it. Any chance of apicture or photos??

Ta
Ben

Chimo
20-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Ben

No pic at the moment but I'll try and clarify.

Parts list.
- Anchor and chain (warp removed)
- pulley and d or clip (to attach to the end of the anchor chain)
- warp off the anchor or a similar or shorter length
- land anchor
- bow paynter (short rope, say twice the depth that your going to anchor up in)

Pass the end of the warp through the pulley that you have "d"ed or cliped to the anchor chain. Tie the two ends together eg bowline through the eye at the end of the warp. Also attach (d or clip) the end of the paynter to the warp through the eye ie where you joined the two ends together.

Anchor the boat in you chosen location, back up as normal to set the anchor then proceed to shore, bow first with the warp feeding out.

Step off the bow onto the dry beach! unload the land anchor (or choose a well located tree to tie off to)

Holding the rest of the warp on land push the unloaded boat off and pull the looped warp which pulls the boat by the paynter so the boat is returned to your anchor.

Even silver rope can be tightened enough so that it lays close to the bottom and is less likely to run over by other boats moving between your anchored boat and the shore but the distance off shore depends on the sea bed slope and tide movement.

Tie off to your tree or land anchor and the boat will swing on its "mooring" until you release the land anchor tree and pull it in on the loop.

Dry feet, no sticky fingers on the boat and it works for me. All you need extra is a pulley and a few d s or clips and your spare anchor and maybe a spare length of rope if you dont want to use your anchor warp.

Hope this is clearer for you Ben?

Cheers
Chimo

ROBENDOG
21-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Thanks CHIMO.

Pretty sure I get it and will give it a run next camping trip.

Skusto
31-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Hi Ben

No pic at the moment but I'll try and clarify.

Parts list.
- Anchor and chain (warp removed)
- pulley and d or clip (to attach to the end of the anchor chain)
- warp off the anchor or a similar or shorter length
- land anchor
- bow paynter (short rope, say twice the depth that your going to anchor up in)

Pass the end of the warp through the pulley that you have "d"ed or cliped to the anchor chain. Tie the two ends together eg bowline through the eye at the end of the warp. Also attach (d or clip) the end of the paynter to the warp through the eye ie where you joined the two ends together.

Anchor the boat in you chosen location, back up as normal to set the anchor then proceed to shore, bow first with the warp feeding out.

Step off the bow onto the dry beach! unload the land anchor (or choose a well located tree to tie off to)

Holding the rest of the warp on land push the unloaded boat off and pull the looped warp which pulls the boat by the paynter so the boat is returned to your anchor.

Even silver rope can be tightened enough so that it lays close to the bottom and is less likely to run over by other boats moving between your anchored boat and the shore but the distance off shore depends on the sea bed slope and tide movement.

Tie off to your tree or land anchor and the boat will swing on its "mooring" until you release the land anchor tree and pull it in on the loop.

Dry feet, no sticky fingers on the boat and it works for me. All you need extra is a pulley and a few d s or clips and your spare anchor and maybe a spare length of rope if you dont want to use your anchor warp.

Hope this is clearer for you Ben?

Cheers
Chimo

Any chance someone has found a diagram of this? I think i get it but a picture would be so much clearer.

Chimo
31-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Its not that hard

Think of an endless clothes line with a pulley block in the deep end attached to your chain and anchor.

Now think of your bow rope tied onto the loop. The shore end of the loop gets secured to another anchor or a tree after you have got all your crew and gear off the boat on shore and the boat gets pulled into the deep water.

Off to eat now.!

manchild
22-11-2016, 02:47 PM
I use an anchor winch with a remote and the back anchor on the beach . Easy

JulianDeMarchi
22-11-2016, 03:20 PM
I bought one of these to use.

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=16853&parent=25&vendorid=2

Works a treat, 100% recommend!

Chimo
22-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Julian

Sounds like an up market version of the set up I use.

What do you use the floats and the ring for? or is that the gear you use for deep water anchor retrieval that is included in the kit?
Do you use two floats for retrieval as they look sort of small?

Cheers
Chimo

Triple
22-11-2016, 05:42 PM
What do you use the floats and the ring for?
Do you use two floats for retrieval as they look sort of small?
Cheers
Chimo
yep I'm struggling to work out what the float and ring are for too?

JulianDeMarchi
22-11-2016, 08:11 PM
The ring replaces the pulley at the beach end. Makes it easier for use. The floats are used so when you come back from a days fishing you know where your clips are, and other boaters don't run over your system while you are out fishing.

Triple
22-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Asked reel tackle about the setup and this was their response -
"The ring attaches to a length of rope which gets tied to a tree or another anchor on the shore. The main rope just goes through the ring and back into the water to the boat. The 2 floats are optional, some guys like to anchor side on so they use a float setup to attach to both ends of the boat otherwise the float that joins to main rope together clips onto the winch hook of the boat and the boat hangs bow into the current."

I was over thinking it with their included anchor and ring and floats and clips..

Triple
22-11-2016, 08:51 PM
http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/clothesline-anchoring-revisited.html?m=1http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/clothesline-anchoring-revisited.html?m=1 (http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/clothesline-anchoring-revisited.html?m=1)

Chimo
23-11-2016, 06:15 AM
Julian

Interesting way to do it.

I think however I'll stick with the alternative that seems to avoid the risk of the line from the anchor to the shore being at risk of being seen but still run over.

Using a line off the bow to the endless loop so that the boat is free to turn with the wind and current allows the endless loop to lay on the bottom away from eyes and props that can cut the loop or snag passing boats. Experience has shown that that it seems many boats will pass between the moored boat and shore.

Pic of mooring at Sth Stradbroke for a M & G a while ago.

Cheers
Chimo114824

ranmar850
23-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Any chance someone has found a diagram of this? I think i get it but a picture would be so much clearer.
Sounds exactly like what I have been doing for decades at Ningaloo. We leave the boat in the water there most of the time for the 2 -6 weeks of our stay as it is a difficult beach unless the tide is very low and there is no water coming over the outside reef. We have probably beefed it up a bit as is it has to be there day and night but principle is the same. We use 12 mm polypropylene, renewed every two years, running through a 50mm Stainless davit pulley with a 10mm pin attached to the end of a substantial chain and 15 kg of anchor ( This is for 5.8 to 6 metre boats--I said it was substantial.) Up near one end of the rope I have spliced a long loop in. This has your mooring rope attached. Run the other end of the rope through the pulley and tie the two ends together. You now have an endless loop, restricted only in movement by either the joining knot or spliced in loop hitting the pulley. Hook your boat up to the mooring rope and you can then pull it in and out as you please. When you have it where you want it , we tie the beach end off to a long gal star picket driven well in . This beach gets very surgey at high tide, and is subject to a lot of wind, and this has served us well.
I'll' try to draw a picture.

ranmar850
23-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Ok, a quick attempt with Paint. This is obviously a heavy duty model, but you could do the same thing with your regular anchor, chain and anchor rope, all you need is a pulley from a yacht shop.I have also done this using a large stainless shackle in place of the pulley.

Triple
23-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Pic no worky

ranmar850
24-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Uploaded it to Smugmug --attachments locally uploaded from PC seem to break a lot on this forum format.

Chimo
24-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Ranmar850

More or less the same as my set up except i use another anchor on land or a convenient tree if one is provided.

Chimo

ranmar850
24-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Yes, anything will work that you can secure the line to. Forgot the star picket one year, buried the spare off the trailer with a rope loop attached. Was a tad crusty when we dug it out three weeks later....

Skusto
26-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Alright went down to bcf today, got anchor chain and the clips.

I didn't get a pulley though instead got a stainless ring to attach to the anchor chain.

Though after coming back home and reading this I'm starting to think It may get stuck as the warp and bow line could possibly try to go through the ring? Or do you think it would be right?

Will test it out in saturday when we go for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

Chimo
26-01-2017, 05:48 PM
rope runs better and stops better on a pulley than a ring. Hope your Sarurday goes ok though

Skusto
26-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Cheers will just grab one. Also one thing chimo how long is your endless rope? I got 100m roll but I'm thinking that's a fair way! 50m from shore would you cut it in half? I can't think off the top of my head where I would need the boat that far out but don't also want to cut it if you wouldn't recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91595)

Chimo
26-01-2017, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't cut it.

You can always tie it off further up the beach either with another anchor or to a tree so you may be surprised how much you can use.

If you use your normal anchor and chain at the in water end with the pulley at the end of the chain and a separate line up to the bow bollard you should be able to put enough tension on the loop that it runs mostly along the bottom away from props. This keeps it out of the way of those who insist on running their craft really close to shore

Alternatively you can leave it loose and if its silver rope it will float. Mind you some oblivious boated may still cut it.

If you join the loop with a bowline after passing it through the pulley block if that what you will use, you can tie it so you end up with a 10 m or so length that although still part of your length of line is what you can tie of to your bow bollard. I store the length of rope I use on one of those plastic hose reels. Makes it very easy to use. We also fed it out to a grounded yacht one day and they ran it up their mast so I could pull the boat over to a good heel and so get the keel out of the sand The second motor boat could then pull it clear of the sand bar.

This is how the Vag ended up at the M & G at Sth Stradbroke Island Hope this helps.

Chimo

Skusto
26-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info, yep I made a bow line but will just keep the rope long like you said. Will look at a system to keep it bundled up well.

Thanks heaps for the info!