PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo 5 metre owners

Waraba Mick
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I am considering the purchase of a 5 metre Wahoo and would like to hear from past and present owners re: the good, bad and the ugly on these boats. Would anyone know the maximum horsepower rating for both the centre console and tiller versions?

Cheers, Mick.

GBC
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I fished a couple of times in a mate's 5m tiller steer.

It was honest enough, ran well, built like the proverbial if not a bit simple. It was wetter than other 5m open boats I've been in.

I'd have one if I was in the market.

nickstock
09-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi mate,

A mate has one and was one of the reason why I chose to by the style of boat that I did. ( 5.1 meter Javelin)

Have a look at Wahoo's, Javelins and Hookers if you are chasing a no frills shit hot fishing boat.

I looked at all three and ended up buying the Javelin but also would of bought a wahoo . I like them alot and am happy with my purchase. I would buy them in this order personally Javelin / Wahoo equal then the hooker.

They are all top ( but basic) boats . The only reason I bought the Javelin was because it is a local company to me and the Hookers are a bit overpriced for what you get and a wetter then the Javelin.

If that style of boat is what your after then you wont be disapointed in your choice.

Where are you located?

Nick

Waraba Mick
09-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the feed back, a no bling 4.5 to 5.0 meter glass fishing boat is what i want this time. The wahoo looks like it would suit and so do the other brands mentioned. Nick i am located at Caboolture. Qld.

Cheers Mick.

chop duster
10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Nick,
am i thinking of a different boat? or does the javelin have piss all deadrise at the transom compareed to the hooker and wahoo? how does it ride on the rough compared to the other 2 (very similar hull designs)?

Guido
10-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Use to ride quite regularly in a Wahoo 5m CC. Can't rate them highly enough for a boat in that category. Just the way it sat on top of the water and it's recovery from the bumps was very impressive. I think a tiller steer model would not be nearlly as good in my opinion...too light up front. Easy to clean being self-draining. My one and only dislike was the lack of heght with the sides when fishing. It is at that awkward height where your knees got hammered. Otherwise
very good boat.

Guido.

nickstock
10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I think a tiller steer model would not be nearlly as good in my opinion...too light up front. Easy to clean being self-draining. My one and only dislike was the lack of heght with the sides when fishing. It is at that awkward height where your knees got hammered. Otherwise
very good boat.

Guido.

Hi Guido and chopduster,

The tiller steer is actually a smoother ride in my boat then my mate with a c/c wahoo. I have an extended tiller and I still have a big centre console in the boat. It has a 120 liter live well, a kill pan and a console for my batteries, sounder , gps ect. I have a T top canopy on it which I use to hang onto when it is rough coming home.

One thing that I like in the Javelin is the fact that it has a decent sized kick in the bow. This makes for a very stable fishing area out at sea. The side of the boat comes up to my thigh up the front where at the back of the boat it is like a Wahoo and Hooker and your knees cop it a bit.This kick up also stops alot of water compared to the wahoo and Hooker, but like any open boat you will still be wet after punching through 20 knot chop from 25 miles out to sea.

The self filling live well is used by pros to take live Trout back to the mother ship ect and on rough days I fill it up about 60 liters of water and it seems to soften the ride a bit on the way in.

I have owned a few boats in the same size (4.5-5 meters) both glass and alloy and this boat is bar far the most seaworthy boat that I have owned. With reverse chines, 3 adults can stand in the one corner to net a fish or get back in the boat from diving ect and it will not roll around. It takes bugger all HP to get them moving and with the missus, me and some gear it planes within a few seconds. I was worried about how long a tiller steer would take to get up on the plane but these worries were quickly dismissed after taking it for a test run.

The only bad thing about this style of open ''Dory'' is that you will get wet in choppy seas.

Nick

vini79
10-03-2009, 01:06 PM
just to confuse things a bit more for you check out the 4.8 galeforce. Bit beamier and more freeboard.
If i bought new i would have gone for the Galeforce over everything else. I ended up with a Haines 445f.

Waraba Mick
11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Vini, the galeforce is on my short list but this time i intend to go second hand so when i see the right boat i will jump on it.

The haines should serve you well, i owned a hh sea wasp for 10years and loved it, much better than any tinnie of the same size.

vini79
11-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Mick,
Cheers mate.
Keep an eye out, They do pop up every now and then. Also the Southwind UB520 is another one to keep on the list. Avoid the southernstar version though. (bad stories)
There is one particular place that the galeys tend to pop up for sale and are snaped up quick usually. Check out Australian Saltwater Fly Fishing

Waraba Mick
19-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies and pm's, i was able to purchase a wahoo 5xtc last week and i think it will suit my needs perfectly. I have only had it in the water once so far and i hope to do some serious fishing in the next couple of weeks.

Mick.

nickstock
20-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Nice work mate, just be prepared to get seriously wet in choppy seas!