PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Burley- Does it work?

poddy mullet
08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
G"Day All,

I was having a conversation with an old hand at the fishing game the other day, and I was told that sprinkling a few chook pellets along a trolling run, in impoundments such as Windemere, Burrendong, Ben Chifley,Wyangla, Pindari or Copeton, can create good results when you troll back through the burley trail for a couple of hours.

Has any one ever tried coercing big Golden Perch and/or Cod into a feeding frenzy, and is their any ingreediants that contribute to successs?

I have already mixed up a concoction of tuna oil, force ten pellets and bread, and I have purchased a burley bomb ready to go for tomorrow, but if anyone can give me a few tips it would be greatly appreciated!;D

Cheers, pod.

BR65
08-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I dont see why it wouldnt work, if nothing else it would be an attractant to bait fish, which the bigger, more desirable predators hopefully follow.
Could see a problem on the northern impoundments with cattamundis though, Johnny Mitchells Monduran DVD has some vision of catties burleyed up on pieces of pilly? when he is talking water flows and Ribena drinks, but an interesting thought seeing we rely on it so heavilly in the salt water off shore scene.
cheers
brian

poddy mullet
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Should be interesting few hours on the troll anyway! I"ll let you know how I get on tommorow!

RayB
14-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Poddy mullet,

How did you go with the Freshwater burley. Sounded like an interesting idea

cheers
Raymond

poddy mullet
17-03-2009, 03:14 PM
G"Day Ray, well, I mixed up a concoction of bread, pellets and tuna oil and headed out to windemere for the day- and lets just say I now know why they call it WIND-emere!!!! Got blown off the face of the earth and it made it bloody hard to properly experiment. Dropping the berley bomb out the back and jiggling the string every five seconds as I trolled along released a substantial cloud of pellet, oil and bread that sank to the depths, so I reckon it could of worked. Trying to get a snag off, keep out of the structure, and calm an anixious blue cattle dog all at the same time ain't that easy when you are buy yourself and its blowing a gale! Will be taking an offsider next time for sure,
Cheers, Pod

finga
19-03-2009, 08:13 PM
we use chook pellets when we're sitting still trying to drown a shrimp.
Don't know if it works or not because we've always done it.
Might have to forget the pellets one day to find out I suppose.

darylive
19-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I use bread slices to mark a spot on the water when sounding around. Take an old loaf and have slices ready, when you cover a spot with a show of bait and fish lob out a slice. It not only marks the spot to return to but helps keep the bait and predators in the area.