PDA

View Full Version : arvor boats

iceknight
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Has anyone had anything to do with arvor boats? partically in the 20 range?

cheers,

Ice,

Shanoss
08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Know a bloke that owns a dealership in townsville with a second hand arvour. It looks great, nice cab and heaps of room. He said it rides well, but only does 12kn. I reckon most hulls go ok at 12kn.

arvor
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
i have had mine for a couple of years now and its still the best boat we have ever owned .and we fish on average twice a week .and in that time seen many types of sea conditions.but it is a purpose built just for fishing.trust me its not for watersking.

sea-rash
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Ice

spent a fair amount of time in one as has Finding time who may choose to comment. Safe seaworthy but in my view way to slow. Don't buy the 18 kt cruising speed as it is not going to happen with any sort of load. I agree their ride is fairly good but agree most boats ride okay at 12 or 13 knots. Yes Ian I know I am a fair load! If i lived in a place where distances were fairly short eg SWR or the like they would be ideal. In Brisbane no way.

Rob

arvor
09-03-2009, 10:09 AM
we fish the 10 to 18 mile off mooloolaba a lot and its quite productive trolling skirts out at 12 knots.so for this area it suits .but for some of the north qld 100 mile stuff it wouldnt suit

arvor
09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
and for iceknight here are the good and the bad.the goods are.seakeeping no1.with the 300 kgs of motor down low in the bilge its a nice bit of ballast.fuel consumption.we troll at differant speeds 12 to 13 to get out to the 10 mile then back to 3 to 7 at the grounds and for a 8 hour session its about 40 litres.sevice i do my own and for the 100 hour its 110 dollars and about and hour to do .the 200 hour is another 20 bucks for o rings in the heat exchanger.fishabillity.large deck.uncluttered.no outboard to fight over.now the bads.speed isnt its thing 18 knots at best with a clean hull and 1 on board.4 blokes on and we will be down to 10 to 12.cabin gets very hot in summer.thinking of running a small truck air cond into cabin but thats down the track.launching from trailer.you need a extention bar to get deep to drive off and on.

iceknight
09-03-2009, 11:07 PM
thanks for that, sounds like a lot of hassle... i dont mind the slower traveling speeds as ill just get out of bed earlyier and get an auto piolt,

what are your thoughts on seaworthyness outside moreton, in 15 odd knots.??

i def was going to go aircon :D..

thanks,

Lovey80
10-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Arvor, was that you I saw just outside the Mooloolaba (pointcartwright) headland getting into the huge boil of mac tuna and Spotties on tuesday last week? If so that boat looked real nice but I noted at the time it rolled a fair bit with that swell??What are your thoughts on the boat at rest out in the ocean?

The hulls on them arvors look like they would do well with about double the HP on them.

Cheers

Chris

arvor
10-03-2009, 11:00 AM
yes it was then we left them to go to the blinker in search for bigger and never got a hit.thats life.anyway there is a lot of differance between a displacement hull and a planeing.so the speed is determined by hull speed and not hp.double the hp and you might get another 5 knots ?and then missbalance the hull to a dangerous state.

iceknight
10-03-2009, 11:36 AM
yehh the video i seen showed the arvor to "roll" a fair bit too??

not to worry as long as its not going to roll over!!

all boats have there ups and downs.....

charleville
10-03-2009, 02:07 PM
If so that boat looked real nice but I noted at the time it rolled a fair bit with that swell?

I was a bit interested in these boats a while ago but I also got the message from someone whose opinion I respected that the rounded hull made them roll a fair bit and that was a turn-off for me.

I looked at them closely at every boat show for a couple of years and after standing in the cabin of one at the Sanctuary Cove boat show in the sun for a few minutes, being overpowered by freshly machined fibre-glass smells, I also thought that they might get stinking hot inside the cabin.

I do remember the sales pitch by the bloke from Crawford Marine though who said that they really suited the over 50 crowd (which includes me :( ) who is tired of bouncing along on bay trips ( definitely not me ) and wanted something smoother. ( well, don't we all?). He actually talked me out of any further interest with that description 'cos who wants to be seen in an old man's boat?! ;D

However, as has already been said, at 15 knots any boat will be smooth riding.

I would have no doubt that they would safely and steadily plough through any weather quite nicely though. Do you get sea-sick? ;D ;D ;D

iceknight
11-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I dont get sea sick :P...
just love the idear of not getting wet.

kinda over bashing thru the bay at 30 odd clicks and getting that dreded sea spray on everything.... it really annoys me.

hence why im liking these boats..... as long as its not going to roll over on me, or prevent me from fishing the cape in 15-20knts,

arvor
12-03-2009, 05:31 PM
sorry charlie. with the greatest respect for your mate.they arnt a round bilge hull. far from it.has a 650mm keel and from midships aft has a gullwing shape variable deadrise.which at the stern looks like a tri hull .and sits a lot flatter than a 17degree

GBC
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
which makes her a warped planker and not a displacement boat.

Powering up will have more effect than you think, and I'm guessing she's broachy as hell 'cause she'll take off down any wave bigger than your hull length?

trueblue
12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Arvor have an increased power option available? does anyone know about this?

The_Tub
12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi people

went in evans comp as per usual there was an immaculate arvro down there
looked and soar it was a great sea worthy boat,but was wondering how they
go with a big runout tide and some swell on the bar,sometimes your on the plane
and going nowhere and thats 12nts

cheers mal

iceknight
13-03-2009, 02:26 AM
I got my brochure from collins marine today. the new arvor has the 100hp instead of the 85, and with truck loads more torque,

was almost ready to order one, then i read the reviews he had sent in the pack

review one said, " this is definatly not a outside boat, more a few drinks with mates in light bay"

the next review said " this is for the serious offshore fisherman"

not so sure what to think now :S

GBC
13-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Also look at the Steber 22 if you're serious about this type of hull.

iceknight
14-03-2009, 01:02 AM
yehh had a look at the stebber.. not real fond of it. main reasons are, no walk around. and less fishing room, which is what it primarily will be used for.

Thanks for the heads up on the stebber 22 though, if my needs change in the future it could suit more,

trueblue
14-03-2009, 10:37 AM
So what speed can the new 100HP one cruise at?

I looked at the Arvors as well, but shied away because of the slow cruise speed. My next boat will have a mandatory economy aspect, but there is no point wasting half the day getting to and from wherever I am going. I need a boat that will economically travel at speed or troll, and at the moment I can't see doing that any better than with a pair of 4 stroke outboards.

Mick

cormorant
15-03-2009, 10:17 PM
and for iceknight here are the good and the bad.the goods are.seakeeping no1.with the 300 kgs of motor down low in the bilge its a nice bit of ballast.fuel consumption.we troll at differant speeds 12 to 13 to get out to the 10 mile then back to 3 to 7 at the grounds and for a 8 hour session its about 40 litres.sevice i do my own and for the 100 hour its 110 dollars and about and hour to do .the 200 hour is another 20 bucks for o rings in the heat exchanger.fishabillity.large deck.uncluttered.no outboard to fight over.now the bads.speed isnt its thing 18 knots at best with a clean hull and 1 on board.4 blokes on and we will be down to 10 to 12.cabin gets very hot in summer.thinking of running a small truck air cond into cabin but thats down the track.launching from trailer.you need a extention bar to get deep to drive off and on.

Glad you mentioned the hot cabin. Even with the small side ones open and the top hatch open all that glass made it stuffy for me and that made me a bit queezy in the cabin. I am very use to lots of air in the cabin and like to stick my head out when mooring up. definately needed a second forward facing hatch to inject a breeze in. They ride well and feel surefooted and have their place on the water and nice to be able to talk without yelling.. Can't remember how big the anchor well was or if a drum could be fitted as we anchored from a tub over the side. Finish on thenm is very good if the one I was on is typical.

iceknight
16-03-2009, 01:33 PM
the new 100hp produces only a 1 knot more top speed :S

but apparently has loads more torque for when the boat is loaded up, higher top speeds are achievable , while the 85hp would be seriously lagging,

finding_time
16-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Iceknight

As Sea Rash stated i've spent a fair bit of time on an Arvor and my belief is that as a Brisbane based boat they'll drive you nuts ! It's alright now to say that that the speed issue doesn't matter but when your crossing the bay on your way home during the afternoon when the bays glassed out and your tired and VERY HOT ( they really have to do something about the ventilation) and all you can manage is 14 -15 knots , it does grate !! Also if you intend to cross any bars i would think very hard about another boat! Now i've stated on this site many times that if you need hull shot for a bar you shouldn't be crossing bars but the Arvor is a differant case! It's ok at best going out but bloody ordinary comming back in on a ebb tide , do it enough and you'll wear one on the back deck! So in SEQ that rules out all ports bar Mooloolaba and the nth end of Moreton all other are out unless conditions are perfect and Noosa is out at all times because of depth!

Ian

Ps if i lived at say Coff harbour or any of the southern ports with good ocean access and short distances to the fishing grounds i would seriously look at them as an option , that enclossed cab would be heaven but for brisbane they just not a good fit!

iceknight
16-03-2009, 11:26 PM
ive got the streaker for the quicker trips.. i just wanted an arvor for th 15 odd knot weather to stay dry in.. to cruise in comfort. with aircon, i wouldent be crossing any bars. just using it strictly for trolling off morton. and over night trips at say huutch, robos,and wider,.....

what are they like for a seagoing boat finding_time??

are you happy with there ride and stable??

cheers

ice,

cormorant
17-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Windage like with all cabin boats is the enemy so the extra hp would be good in those circumstances so it punches straight in on higher wind days but they seem quite streamlined and not as boxy as the steber.. To have one at the bottom of the yard on a pontoon to just hop on and do a quick local arvo fish regardless of teh weather and have bugger all maintainance would be good and something kids and mates could helm and not get into trouble with ( or too far away) but there are

I should shut up on this but aircon on boats for me is a disaster. The only times I get seasick is when I am in small boats with aircon as they recirc the stale air and it tips me off to being queezy. Small aircon units are not that reliable as few are made for salt water environment ( except the electric rooftop ones) and wil absorb HP like it is going out of fashion. Gotta be 35 foot plus for me to consider and the airflow solution below that size should be able to keep me comfortable with a little more headroom.

I found the helm position in the Arvor different , can't say uncomfortable straight away, but different and not sure what a bloke my size coud do to change that .Then again it would want to be a lot of waves without backs to get it needing the brace position and most time would be spent opening the thermos and adjusting a autopilot which I would fit.

Haven't been on the steber in the water yet but have watched and they seem stable and the extra speed sells me on them. Not sure the steber are a bar boat %100 either as I do like to really get through it fast when conditions allow and accelerate to plane instantly. Just have to learn a different method like every boat.They aren't as pretty to look at for the finish but everything on he steber is where it should be in my mind but again the cost is getting up there and for stuff out wide it is still a single donk issue still.

TJ Bear
17-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I love the Steber 2200 Offshore would be my pick for sure. Have fished out of Arvor and not even close the Steber. The Steber 2200 has a better top speed, is far more stable at rest and is built by Aussie's instead of a bunch of Frenchmen

finding_time
17-03-2009, 06:44 PM

what are they like for a seagoing boat finding_time??

are you happy with there ride and stable??

cheers

ice,

There ok , nothing special . one look at there hull shape will tell you there a little rocky at rest but i've been in one when it was blowning 20+ knots and felt safe , we were not travelling quickly at all though.

If it were me i would go for a ride in the stebber and then the arvor and maybe even a 6m signature or seafarer but i know what i would choose............................................ ..........................
.................................................. .........................................A little cat!;)

an