marlintuna
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
wondering what is the heights hours they have on there etecs with no problems

Wahoo
08-03-2009, 12:51 PM
anywhere from 5 to 2000hrs, just like any other motor

Wahoo
08-03-2009, 12:56 PM
also if there is a prob, it would get sorted within a few days,the best back up service i have seen on outboards

disorderly
08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Marlin Tuna...I see you are looking at twin 90's....

The E-tec 75-90 is a great little motor...I have about 250 hours on mine and not had a single problem (except I dont use it enough),thinking about taking it for its first service soon......havent heard of any other drama's with this particular motor either...its quiet,economical and the lightest motor in that HP size...

Scott

twist
08-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a couple of 50's on my rig and they have been faultless so far for 130 hrs in 10 months. Get them a basic service every year though. the three years on the warranty with the same gear box oil I can only imagine isn't to crash hot for its longevity. Steve down at river city marine in Albion looks after mine and has so far been great with service, price and advice. Go see him.

marlintuna
08-03-2009, 02:02 PM
tossing if twin 90s will be enough on a 635l

disorderly
08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
tossing if twin 90s will be enough on a 635l

I guess it depends on what you use the boat for and whether you are after speed or economy??..

Wahoo
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
push the 90's aside and go the 115's, sweet

Shanoss
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Or get yourself a 200 Suzuki and be done with it. Cant understand twins on small monos.

samson
08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Had a 90 etec that had no drama's till i sold it at over 1000 hrs and still going strong but hours done in just over a year,then had a 115 etec that had an injector problem around 800hrs that may have been water damaged but otherwise good and sold at 980 hrs still going then upgraded to 150 etec and done 500hrs in the last 12 weeks with one dodgy ignition changed but i don't know what would happen after lack of use but all seem to have minor issues that get warranty fixed without too much drama's, otherwise pretty sound engines owned 3 in two years and thinking about another two on a bigger boat in the next couple of months.

Ocean_Spirit
09-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Just over 50Hrs, 12Mths old - regular recreational use on E-TEC 200H.O.

No issues since day one, and I know of at least 10 other uses with 90's, 150's, 175's, 200's with same experience and more hours.

Most important part of the purchase is making sure whoever installs the engine and rigs the boat knows exactly what they are doing. Fuel filters, fuel hoses, battery, battery terminals, battery switch, fuel tank connections, propeller, engine height all play a major role in ensuring the engine lasts and performs as it should.

Preventative maintenance like engine flushing, greasing the propeller shaft and pressure points, and changing fuel filters and using quality fuel are equally important steps to ensuring a long engine life. The technology is first-rate in my opinion.

Bear001
09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Not quite same size range as yours - but did 135hrs on my 40hp within first 3months. Had a little prob with injector recently, but dealer sorted & no drama's since

Jabba_
09-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a 250 E-tec. I had problem with and injector and EMM at 19hrs.. The problem was fixed in 4days and I did not miss a day on the water... I have now put 145hrs on the motor and and loving it the more I use it... I put 9hrs on the motor yesterday 7.5 off them was trolling at 6kn...

I am considering trading up to the new 2010 250hp which has ICON throttle control (fly by wire) they also have a cruise control which is perfect for trolling live baits and lures....

The E-tec now have a 5 year warranty

Wahoo
09-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I am considering trading up to the new 2010 250hp which has ICON throttle control (fly by wire) they also have a cruise control which is perfect for trolling live baits and lures....

The E-tec now have a 5 year warranty

bit like the Verado Matt, when the fly by first come out, every non merc lover used to bag this for the first few years, troll mode is great, set it and forget,

Daz

Getout
10-03-2009, 07:59 AM
over 300 hrs in one of the first 175s. Going great. It is faster, quieter and better on fuel than my old tinny with a 90 2stroke.

dkbikes
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM
my mate has the 90hp pushie 5.5metre alloy centre console it pushes it real well, not to many dramas, got a flat battery once, ha easy to pull start if that helps, he has had it probly 6months no dramas yet, use it every weekend going to moreton or of maloolaba

vini79
10-03-2009, 08:23 PM
i have a 60 thats 12 months old. Done about 130hrs on it. Most of which are at idol whilst downrigging. Had a problem with it with regards to having to change plugs after 100hrs. Thats it.. They are top motors.

Scalem
10-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Have come within a whiskar of ordering a new rig with a 115, and have had mixed opinions around the traps, mainly from guys who don't sell etec. ( funny thing that:-X ) What I realize is that A: they are a very good motor but B: anyone who ignors getting the motor booked into an authorized service agent every 12 months AND uses the motor in salt water needs to reconsider their service intervals if they think they can stretch it out past 12 months till the motor clocks 300 hours. The power heads are a well designed piece of engineering and computer managed, to optimally perform with longer hours between servicing, but shaft seals, water pumps and anything dipped into salt will always need to be checked every 12 months, regardless of the brand of motor.

The 115 will give you whiplash if you hit it too hard. I am told you WILL BE astounded with its performance for a 115.

Scalem

TimiBoy
11-03-2009, 05:27 AM
bit like the Verado Matt, when the fly by first come out, every non merc lover used to bag this for the first few years, troll mode is great, set it and forget,

Daz

Isn't it marvy? Love the troll control. Add an autopilot and you're in heaven...

Cheers,

Tim

cormorant
11-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't like the sound of the injector problems that are getting noted on here.

Can the guys that had an injector problem tell me if they ended up with a code on the computer and lights on the dash or if it was just rough idle or lack of top end that indicated there was a issue??

The reason I am interested is that if an injector isn't putting out enough fuel you can end up with a lean mix and subsequent bore and piston damage.

How mant hours do you reckon the motors ran with the dodgy injectors and were they all replaced or was it a ECU , wiring or other issue? Guessing it is just a failing injector as there is little diagnosis avaliable other than it works or it doesn't and if the motor doesn'r run right and the injector is "working" you replace it as it has a internal non serviceable fault?.

Glad to read a few of the big hour motors as well.

Those injectors are going to be an expensive repair outside of warranty

Thanks

chop duster
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
cormorant that is exactly what I was thinking, great post!

Jabba_
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't like the sound of the injector problems that are getting noted on here.

Can the guys that had an injector problem tell me if they ended up with a code on the computer and lights on the dash or if it was just rough idle or lack of top end that indicated there was a issue?? It was running rough with a noticeable drop in power at WOT. Fuel economy also was badly effected.... No lights or alarms

The reason I am interested is that if an injector isn't putting out enough fuel you can end up with a lean mix and subsequent bore and piston damage. Mine did not suffer from a lean mix, in fact mine did the opposite, it richened up the fuel on the crook injector. That was also noted on the software when we were doing the check over..

How mant hours do you reckon the motors ran with the dodgy injectors and were they all replaced or was it a ECU.. My injectors (2) were replaced, they also replaced the EMM as a precaution (to cut a long story short)... I do believe the injectors are serviceable, but if they have an electrical fault, then they need to be replaced
, wiring or other issue? Guessing it is just a failing injector as there is little diagnosis avaliable other than it works or it doesn't and if the motor doesn'r run right and the injector is "working" you replace it as it has a internal non serviceable fault?.

Glad to read a few of the big hour motors as well.

Thanks

Aren't all parts for a outboard expensive....

bobp
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Isn't it marvy? Love the troll control. Add an autopilot and you're in heaven...

Cheers,

Tim

Tim you would love the cruise control on the new verados with vesselveiw

bob

Spaniard_King
11-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks

Is anyone aware of BRP having the capabilities to clean the Etec injectors yet or is it still repair by replace.

What does and Etec Injector cost these days?

bobp
11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
how much are trim and tilt motors for etc's
a lot of the 90 and 115 have been recalled due to failure's of the trim and tilt
hopefully is prob has now been solved

samson
12-03-2009, 08:54 AM
With my injector problems some failed totally and needed replacing and others seemed to work at times them drop out and loose power, when i got injectors cleaned it worked out cheaper but no warranty given if it failed again which they did, the best option was to replace which brp or your mechanic which get paid less for warranty repaires are hesitant to do, so you have two options clean which i wouldn't recomend or replace which will work out cheaper in the long haul but their pricing is dodgy costing less for 200hp and above and more for the lower horse power range which are the more popular used range go figure.

juju
12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Im upto about 130 on my 75 (i do alot of short runs) but had it for 3 years, i had a crack in the cowling (replaced under wty)but the motor itself has been faultless

charlieash
12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
how much are trim and tilt motors for etc's
a lot of the 90 and 115 have been recalled due to failure's of the trim and tilt
hopefully is prob has now been solved
when were they recalled i work at a dealership that sells etecs and we have never had a recall on tilt and trims only on fuel filters . might want to check your facts old mate

charlieash
12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Is anyone aware of BRP having the capabilities to clean the Etec injectors yet or is it still repair by replace.

What does and Etec Injector cost these days?
About $700 .00

bobp
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
[quote=charlieash;984632]when were they recalled i work at a dealership that sells etecs and we have never had a recall on tilt and trims only on fuel filters . might want to check your facts old mate[/quot

a member of the fishing club that i am in had both his replaced under warranty on his cat . told me that there was a recall on them if this is not so. i will stand corrected
but there still seems to be a problem with the trim tilt as i know of 6 that have been replaced and have herd of 5 others

bob

Spaniard_King
12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
About $700 .00

Charlieash, hae they come up with a method of cleaning the injectors??

charlieash
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Charlieash, hae they come up with a method of cleaning the injectors??
not as far as i know

charlieash
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
checked with Brp definatley no recall and the problem is with single ram units only and less than 1% of those so bob you seem to know about most of them!!!!!!!!!

Jabba_
12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
when were they recalled i work at a dealership that sells etecs and we have never had a recall on tilt and trims only on fuel filters . might want to check your facts old mate

a member of the fishing club that i am in had both his replaced under warranty on his cat . told me that there was a recall on them if this is not so. i will stand corrected
but there still seems to be a problem with the trim tilt as i know of 6 that have been replaced and have herd of 5 others

bob

Bob. next time you out with your club. Compare the E-tec trim tilt with the Yamaha and Honda... There all the same, and made by the same company...

There parts are interchangable also

bobp
12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
hi jabba
i thought they mite be the same as some of the other but was not sure
there seal and bearings etc usually come for common suppliers anyway and they can get bad batches
good to see brp have been good with warranty

cormorant
12-03-2009, 11:28 PM
The reason I am interested is that if an injector isn't putting out enough fuel you can end up with a lean mix and subsequent bore and piston damage. Mine did not suffer from a lean mix, in fact mine did the opposite, it richened up the fuel on the crook injector. That was also noted on the software when we were doing the check over..

Hi

Hi

I frankly think some dealers and mechanics know jack aout actually what goes on in my opinion or tow the company line or dumb it down a lot to keep clients happy as the last thing a client wants to hear is that the motor ran lean as they know that is bad.

Injector fails. ( be it physical, electrical or ECU) It is near impossible for it to fail open or to deliver a continious dribble of fuel so it either stops totally or injects less fuel.

Next the computer decides via the throttle position sensor that the motor isn't reving enough for the throttle position in its map on the ECU so it adjusts timng and puts in more fuel to all the other injectors to try and acceleate the motor to the correct rev range for the throttle setting.

Motor only partially responds as it has only got fuel in 5 cyl. These 5 cyl are now choked with excess fuel with wrong timing hence the black soot on the rear of your motor. I cyl is still petrol dry and only sucking in a bit of oily air from crankcase. You get limited power and not full revs but it is a eap more than you would get on a carby job with one dead cyl as teh othe r5 work harder.

If left to run like this with normal oil you get carbon build up in the cyl and have the issues that killed the early era of this design. The new oils and mapping are better but I wouldn't believe it if a dealer told me it can't run lean as I just showed it does.

The cyl running rich with the wrong timing still trying to push a boat under heavy load will risk damage from the carbon build up, preignition and also piston top, skirt and bore damage . The cyl with the stuffed injector will possibly be OK just over oiled as long as it sucks enough oil but that is debatable with no scavange happening etc.

Simple to test as well ( but in a way that should produce a code) . Just pull a lead off an injector or spark plug if you don't want a code and you will instantly see it pick up revs and try and keep a smooth idle by adding extra fuel into the other cyl.. The other 5 will run rich and the motor will run so smooth it is barely discernable that a cylinder isn't working at all.

If I had an ongoing injector problem or ran a decent time with a partially dead one I would be getting a borescope inspection before my warranty was up to check for damage or at least watch my 6 month compression test numbers closely for any drops and would definately ensure it has a decarb treatment in case of carbon build up in the 5 cyl along with new plugs.

The good thing about these motors is that even when they are getting worn the computer will add extra fuel within reason so they still produce the revs ie HP at a throttle setting but this won't guarantee the longevity the motor would or could have had had it not had a injector issue in it's life.

I hope this explains why some people think their motors are running rich and infact 5 are one isn't and the possible consequences. It may well be the 5 rich ones with teh damage not the one with an injector not working.

Corm.

PS my solution would be exhaust sensors on every single exhaust port and a O2 flow sensor on each throttle body so a issue could be picked up early. Now exhaust sensors are plauged by issues of longevity so don't know about them but a flow sensor on every throttle body would show when a cyl wasn't sucking enough ( ie running right) and could then alarm with a code. When new emmision standards come in the years more sensors will probably be required on all motors ( yep 4strokes a swell especially as they move to direct injection and catalyitic converters)) to run them closer to the edge.

Jabba_
13-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Cormorant.
Mate for the last time, my injector was running rich. I was present when we ran through the checks on the motor, I saw and had all the test explained to me... I know Jeff from Hinterland very well (Now at Broadwater marine)... He has no reason to bullshit me..

As you may or may not know, each injector can be switch off independently (it's called a drop test), and richened and leaned out independently using the BRP Software. These are just 2 off the test that I accurately remember... The Drop test will tell the mechanic which injector or coil is faulty, and the Rich/Lean test will tell the mechanic what the injector is doing..... In my case when we leaned out the offending injector, the motor idled perfectly and behaved the way it should... When we richened the injector, it got worse...

Same happend on injector #2, but it was no were near as bad as #1....

Dean1
13-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Cormorant.
Mate for the last time, my injector was running rich. I was present when we ran through the checks on the motor, I saw and had all the test explained to me... I know Jeff from Hinterland very well (Now at Broadwater marine)... He has no reason to bullshit me..

As you may or may not know, each injector can be switch off independently (it's called a drop test), and richened and leaned out independently using the BRP Software. These are just 2 off the test that I accurately remember... The Drop test will tell the mechanic which injector or coil is faulty, and the Rich/Lean test will tell the mechanic what the injector is doing..... In my case when we leaned out the offending injector, the motor idled perfectly and behaved the way it should... When we richened the injector, it got worse...

Same happend on injector #2, but it was no were near as bad as #1.... Whats all the fuss about this drop test thing?... Just drop the etec and buy your selves a four stroke ;D :P

cormorant
13-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Cormorant.

Same happend on injector #2, but it was no were near as bad as #1....

No worries. I think the other item they will be playing with is the co-effecient. Until I see a injector on a test bed that is doing that I'll shut up as I did not think it was physically possible and may be wrong. If they have a cut away at a boat show It would imply to me it was the computer software was triggering it too often hence the change and they changed the part out anyway to save any further possible problem which is good service by them. Can't imaging another issue with it.

I guess I am saying that no motor has enough failsafes yet in them yet which is a shame as the sensors are cheap so when all motors of all brands come with a money back guarantee that if the fuel is good you can't kill em as they will shut down first it would be a good day. You would think a consistant rough idle in neutral should be able programmed in as a trigger for a code to be picked up by the computer even with the current sensors set up and it would warn those who are not mechanical minded and don't notice issues like lower power and slight vibration.

Just wish all manufacturers would go the extra mile and ensure that $20,000 of motor can't die of simple overheat or rich , lean problem when a cheap sensor could detect this and give a code making diagnosis at dealer quicker and more accurate.

Fish Guts
13-03-2009, 03:54 PM
i think you need to clarify the thread topic. Is it hours spent in the workshop or hours spent on the water ?

Jabba_
13-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Whats all the fuss about this drop test thing?... Just drop the etec and buy your selves a four stroke ;D :P

Dean, I'll be the first person to say that I am a hoon, all be it a sensible one.... I love HP, and in my book the more the merrier... At the moment there is not a 4st in this world that would come close to making me happy... I would rather cut my wrists and bleed to death before I put a 4st on my boat.....

PS. I thinking about trading up to the 250 HO at the end or early next year... I want more HP.....

Ocean_Spirit
13-03-2009, 05:56 PM
i think you need to clarify the thread topic. Is it hours spent in the workshop or hours spent on the water ?

Mate less than 1.5hours out of 50 after 14 months of ownership. Plenty of great trips, starts first time, runs smooth. Only time in the workshop was for a routine gear box service, pivot point grease, costing under $100. Dropped over before work, picked up on way home. That is on a 3.3Ltr 200HP. Less maintenance than my 35HP Carby. This is not even required if you were to follow the service schedule. With flushing after every use (both tell-tale connection and intake ports), a spray with BRP 6-1 and routine check of the fuel filter, fuel connections and using fresh, quality fuel, I think that is a pretty solid record...

The set-up from Day 1 was spot on - that can make a significant difference to any rig. Engine height, prop,

I don't think there is any dispute that the E-TEC is the lowest maintenance outboard engine available on the market. 2 is simpler than 4. Whether the technology is better or the engine is 'better on paper' all comes down to application, the rig, and individual requirements.

disorderly
13-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Geez it that all ya got?? ::)::)