PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater jacks, tasty or not.

Dick Pasfield
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Since a few jacks seem to appear from time to time and hopefully their capture rates will increase.

I just wondered what their eating qualities were like from impoundments and if they could possibly fill the niche of a providing table quality fish from them?

Anyone had a bite or two?

ronnien
08-03-2009, 11:54 AM
yeap, & no they taste muddie, like mineral water.
but than again i dont like eating any fish from the fresh, other ppl might like it though.

ron.

Cammy
16-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Only one way to find out Dick.

Cam

Jim_Tait
17-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Out of flowing freshwater rivers they taste just as good as out of the salt - we use dto get plenty in the Burdekin and also had a few out of the Herbert and Tully - Jim

vinny78
17-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Out of flowing freshwater rivers they taste just as good as out of the salt - we use dto get plenty in the Burdekin and also had a few out of the Herbert and Tully - Jim

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I first seen Jacks way up in the Tully. I thought I was seeing things until my mate confirmed it.

aussiebasser
20-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Since a few jacks seem to appear from time to time and hopefully their capture rates will increase.

I just wondered what their eating qualities were like from impoundments and if they could possibly fill the niche of a providing table quality fish from them?

Anyone had a bite or two?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't rate Barra as a table quality fish. If you prepare them correctly they are pretty good tucker.

Dick Pasfield
20-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure why you wouldn't rate Barra as a table quality fish. If you prepare them correctly they are pretty good tucker.

Only because what I hear suggests that impoundment barra are not the best eating quality fish, perhaps similar to billabong (swamp dogs) fish.

Agreed even the humble swamp dog can be turned into something palatable with some work;D.