PDA

View Full Version : Tinaroo Accommodation Recommendations?

rooboy98
07-03-2009, 05:21 PM
G'day,
I'm looking at heading up to Lake Tinaroo for a few days after Easter next month. Will be taking the wife and kids plus the outlaws along, so I was thinking of staying in some Bn'B or cabin style accommodation to make the trip a bit more comfortable.
There will be 2 couples, 2 kids and possibly another adult. No pets.

I'm not after a 5 star luxury, romantic getaway type of place, just something clean and practical from which us boys can head out fishing from each day, while the girls go off exploring the Tablelands.

I have already had a bit of a look on the internet but was wondering if any Ausfishers have stayed in something similiar up there that you think would suit? Feel free to PM if you wish.

Thanks,
Roo.

wheezer
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
the tinaburra side (south end) might be the best area as the fishing is good (as it can be everywhere!) but you'll also have to deal with the hoards of skiers, especially over the break. from the family point of view its good, as if the yungaburra markets are on you won't see the other halfs for that day, plus plenty of other things to see/do over that side such as lake eacham/barrine, curtain fig etc

there is a holiday park right on the water close to the boat ramp, i think they offer everything from basic campsites to cabins, not sure been too long since i've stayed up there (live under an hour from the dam)

over the tinaroo side (main basin/dam wall) there is plenty of accomodation options with a nice park area opposite the holiday park. where ever you stay i'm sure you'll have a great time!

rooboy98
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks Wheezer,

I have now been offerred a house in Yungaburra itself at a reasonable rate so I will check with the others who are going to see what they think of it tonight.

They said it was only about 5 minutes drive to the Tinaburra ramp? Handy to the shops etc as well. It sounds OK over the phone.

I've never fished any impoundment for barra before so I'm looking really looking forward to having a look round. The Lake looks absolutely massive even just on the map!

Being Easter time (crowded as up there I'm told) and also being my very first time there, I'm not expecting too much in the way of success but if I somehow manage to put either my Father-in-Law or Brother-in-Law onto their first barra.....well it would be high fives all round I'd reckon.

Are the ski boats restricted to certain hours of the day for skiing?

Cheers,
Roo.

Oldsalt
12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Roo

Ski boats are restricted to daylight hours only. Sunrise to sunset

Cheers TOM

Barraboss
12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Many of the places you will/could/should fish are generally not inundated with ski boats. That being said, there is a particular place where you will catch barra while ski boats and skiers are nearly hitting your jumping barra.... Some places "maybe" they are used to that kind of noise...

Go onto the dam with confidence, and the belief in yourself. Think about fish and areas they may inhabit, looking at the geography above and below water, and also the weather condtions at the time. Weather conditions assists to move water (and bait) along with natural current.

And last but not least:

A lure in the water is better than none at all

Matt

Haji-Baba
13-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Make sure you take some Cray Pots.

I usually set mine in about 6-8 meters of water not too far from the bank.

Bait would be pawpaw, bannanas, half boiled potato and pumpkin, dog biscuits or any fruit combination you feel happy with.

4 pots per person with your name and address on the pot and your name on the float.

I usually set mine late in the afternoon in a secluded bay and pick them up at daylight.

Bone up on the cooking techniques before you go.

I often do mine in the smoker, great taste.

Great fun for the kids and good tucker.

Be there myself about end of May.

Have Fun Haji-Baba.

rooboy98
15-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks to all for providing info and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Roo.

mr_yamba
17-03-2009, 09:23 AM
there is a particular place where you will catch barra while ski boats and skiers are nearly hitting your jumping barra.... Some places "maybe" they are used to that kind of noise...

Matt

I caught a barra about a month ago in the spot you are talking about i think, it was 122cm 3pm on sunday afternoon. caught another last weekend 4pm sat afternoon that was 20kg in the sling, and another small one 3pm sunday. don't worry about the ski boats, they don't get shallow enough to scare the fish away. and as other people are saying, fish night also.

Barraboss
17-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Mr Yamba,

Yeah more than liekly the same place. If you have any photos, make sure you write a report/pictures as many ausfisho's (including me) are keen to hear about barra captures.

Thanks again

Matt