PDA

View Full Version : How to cure sea-sickness?

snagking
07-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi guys,
Today I went out in my uncles boat, trolling tailor around chasing some Spanish macs, (got nothing :'() but I found out that I get seasick:-X. I spent the morning throwing up over the side or laying on the bottom of the boat.
As I will probably be going out in similar swells every now and then (Nothings stopping me from fishing::)), I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to avoid sea sickness.
Thanks in advance,
snagking

stickbender
07-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Snag

I have been told that if you put in 1 disposable ear plug this will help

FNQCairns
07-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Get a good nights sleep and take the antihistamine Avomine, never not been a sufferer from the age of 5 on the ocean, if I do not follow both of the above I would rather stay home, nothing else has even come close to working for me.

cheers fnq

snagking
07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys.

Benno1
07-03-2009, 05:07 PM
it varies with ppl tho Snag...i use Travacalm...works for me but not my son (i take a full tablet he gets 1/4)...ive recently bought a set of wrist bands for the boy...they work on pressure points...we hav'nt used them yet...but when we do ill let you know how they go...other ppl ive spoken to swear black and blue about oranges...eating a heap of them before you leave and during the trip...something about the vitamin C???
i try to keep my son off the bottom of the boat...it makes it worse for him...he cant really focus on anything... i put him in the chair and play spot the bird (this game mightent cut it with you tho :P)
try a few different things...find out what works for you...you'll be right :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Vindicator
07-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah travacalm works for me too. I take one before I leave home, it takes about 30 mins for me to get to the boat ramp and I've never been sick on them yet.

Cheers
Kezza

snagking
07-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks heaps for the info guys!
Can i get travacalm at the supermarket, or is it from a special store?

champion
07-03-2009, 05:40 PM
SNAGKING.

Use the Avomine first.... you get it at the chemist.
1 pill before bed thats all, it makes you drowsey so thats why you take it before bedtime. You wake up feeling normal as to taking it in the morning, you will have a crappy day - feeling tired.

Joe

Leighton
07-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Keep eating, snack on dry stuff. Shapes, dried fruit and nuts, keep off the bottom of the boat and in some fresh air.
Crystalised Ginger works for my wife.
Travel Calm and Kwells leave the mouth dry

The-easyrider
07-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes you get travel calm from the chemist or kwels is another brand both of these will leave you with a very dry mouth for about 20mins to a hour and can leave some people feeling a bit dazed. There is also ginger tablets that will work for some people as ginger has a calming efect on the gut. I am going to try this Avomine as I dont like the dry mouth bit although that is heaps better than spewin your ring out all day

jtpython
07-03-2009, 06:30 PM
;D Stop getting on the drink the night before;D

Seriously i don't get sick but if your having any dairy products before you go say milk on your ceral and coffee that will make you sick as well but like someone was saying give the avomine a go have heard great things from it. My mate gets crook all the time he used the wrist bands last trip and came up trumps
JT

Scott nthQld
07-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I take kwells, but ginger beer also works well.

For plugging one ear you plug the opposite ear as to what hand you use ie right handed, plug left ear and vice versa. Works for my grandfather and he gets crook on those floating pontoons at the ramp.

If you do get sick, make sure you eat and drink plenty of water, you will feel much better in between hurls. Also getting your stomach working also helps to alleviate seasickness.

Another at hand remedy is a smal bucket of cold water down your back, works for me, trouble is finding cold enough water, the colder the better. I think it just works by sending your body into a bit of shock and while your body copes with the sudden need to regulate your temp, you forget all about your seasickness.

Also, laying down looking up will only make things worse, as does looking down. You need to be able to 'see' that you are moving, thats what causes seasickness, its an argument between your sense of balance which says you are moving, and your sight which says you aren't, as usual when a fight happens, things get messy. So line up the bait board with a landmass or the waves so you can see it moving against the background, won't cure it, but makes you feel a lot better.

snagking
07-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks heaps!

tunaticer
07-03-2009, 07:16 PM
If you have had a spit eat a handful of dry twisties. I do not know what is in them but it stops you dry reaching and you will settle down rather quickly. I always have a packet in the boat these days for just that purpose. Rescued myself and my mates dozens of times now and all are converts to keeping twisties handy.

If you are just feeling seedy and the mouth starts to water prior to chucking you are better off having a spit and then a handful of twisties.

needTHEnet
07-03-2009, 07:42 PM
i tried ets tablet you take two different tablets at the same they are the best for me next best was the avomine you get ets tablets from bova chemist they send them up from sydney there number is 95253044

MickS
07-03-2009, 08:11 PM
There's no cure for sea sickness. It's caused by the vestibular system in the inner ear. The brain uses this system to find out where we are in space. If that system goes against other stimulas, such as the eyes then we can feel sick.Some pills etc can help with the feelings of nausea, but will not cure the problem. About 70% of people will suffer from motion sickness at some time, with about 20% even feeling crook in flat water.Children between ages of 4-12 are more of a chance of getting motion sickness.Many of us have kids who get crook in the car.

I have done a fair bit of ocean racing, and I reckon everyone has their water. I've seen very experienced saliors go down for the count when a boat starts moving a bit different, especially in heavy seas.

Tips to help. Stay of the grog, even the night before. Good nights sleep.Light meals.Pills can help, but have the problem of making you drowsy. During the day try to focus on the horizon. Help the brain re boot.

Personally I get sea sick at night in heavy seas, when I loose sight of the horizon, but find lying down a help.

Good luck, no easy answer.

BaitThrower
07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I had that problem for a while.
I got onto Travacalm tablets. Usually one before I leave for the boat ramp, but on a full stomach. On an empty stomach they really seem to make me drousy, but if I eat something before hand or not long after I take the tablet, the drousiness seems to be almost non-existent. The "Travacalm Original" tablets have a bit of caffeine in them to counteract the drousiness effect. There is another box of Travacalm (without the "Original" name in it) that does not have the caffeine.

Havent had a problem each time I have taken them, although I wouldn't be driving alone. Once or twice that have made me really groggy for about 15-20 mins, then it went away and all fine... but eating something seems to negate the grogginess effect. Probably get less of a hit at once through slower absorption if you have something else in your guts too :)

Jabba_
07-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I take Travelcalm Original... Avomine did not agrea with my body, it made me very tired....

When I forget to take the Travelcalm, and I start to feel a bit green, I let myself vomit freely over the side... For me holding the vomit back is like poisoning your body and you only make yourself worse.... But letting yourself vomit when you feel like it I findmake you feel heaps better.... Get it out quickly, and drink plenty of Coke....

Why drink Coke... Because it tast good on the way back out....

gawby
07-03-2009, 09:17 PM
AVOMINE.
For me i have tired all the other b/s remedies and they didn't work.
I was one of the worst for seasickness there was until i started using avomine.
I might add it hasn't made me catch anymore fish but i have great days on the water now when i get a chance.
Graeme

Bros
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I see you are only 14 so some good news is you will proberbly get more resistant to seasickness as you get older. All the methods work for some people and they are worth a try.
I think your uncle could have been a bit more accommodating and given it away when you were that sick or made you drive the boat as it will take your mind off it and give you something to concentrate on. I have done that as it's not fun having your companion seasick.
On charters I haven't seen anyone sick on the second day so your body does get used to the motion.

snagking
07-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I think your uncle could have been a bit more accommodating and given it away when you were that sick or made you drive the boat as it will take your mind off it and give you something to concentrate on. I have done that as it's not fun having your companion seasick.
I hope he's reading this;D

I'm not really to fussed on being a little bit drowsy, as I don't have to drive the car or boat, so I might look into getting some of those pills, along with next time trying out the other suggestions.

oldboot
07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Dont get too worried about it.

You might have had a bad day too.

you realy need to find out if it is an every time thing.

were you well slept.....was you head and you nose clear.

I've been a bit crook with the after effects of what the seems to be ross river......getting better slowly.... but early on the whole balance thing wasnt what it should be.......got seasick very easy.

try keeping you head up, head down tying tackle is a problem for me.

I'm fine under way... its at anchor is my problem......standing up is good... looking into the swell is good.... fresh air is good.

cheers

onerabbit
08-03-2009, 12:25 AM
There have been other threads on this subject, with many good fishos offering whatever cure works for them, which is a good thing.

Personally, I think the majority of cases come from subconcious FEAR,
fear of the unfamiliar,
fear of something bad happening e.g. going for a swim,
fear of getting sick even.

Purely my own opinion,
but I would even go so far as to say that many remedies have a placebo affect, "If I do this, I wont get sick",
and they will generally work, because in your mind, you have already beaten the subconcious fear.

My oldest son, Charlie (AF member neon1991) used to get crook, I even had to bring him in a couple of times, not happy,
until a day that we were to fish in a club outing that was called off at the last minute due to bad weather, we already had the boat in the water, so we decided to go out for a look anyway.

Poor Charlie,
it did turn out to be a VERY rough day at sea, but my regular deckie & I were quite happy in the strong wind & big swells, we were catching good fish most of the day.
Poor Charlie spewed, cried, begged to be bought home as he rolled around on the deck, NUH.............we were having fun & the fish were biting well.

That was about 6 years ago now, & Charlie has almost never been sick again after that day,
I truly believe that it was the worst day that he could imagine,
but Chris & I both had fun, caught lots of good fish, & bought him home safe at the end of the day ( we kept him out there until 2pm that afternoon ).

Bottom line is, I think that he beat the fear in his mind that day, it was SO bad, but still nothing bad happened.

I can accept that some people DO have inner ear problems which will make them sick,
but I think in the majority of cases, it really is all in your mind.............

Muzz

oldboot
08-03-2009, 09:21 AM
I truly believe there are different reasons and different mechanisms where by people become ses sick.

The most commonly accepted problems is the brain getting s differeing variety of messages from the inner ear ( that senses level and motion), the eyes and other parts of the body..........that it cant process into something that makes sense.

Some people do manage to adapt.....the brain is able to learn and rewire its self to cope at some level.......some people it will never happen.

cheers

Angla
08-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Personally for me

i used to go on a mates 23 foot devil cat and was sick every time. It's a cat thing I believe along with not being in control because I was fine when driving it.

Now I have a 19 1/2 foot mono hull and I like to have a breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato and toast followed by a orange juice and coffee. I also like to take along some munchies like snakes because I believe that when you chew it moves your temples and helps to keep the gyration sensor equal. I also hype up on wanting to catch a big one and keep my concentration on anything but sickness. I normally talk the leg off wooden chair which might help too.

Funny thing that when I am solo I seem to hold conversation with whoever will listen. Mother nature normally gets a bit of an earfull about the weather and old King Neptune is given a few requests too.

You will eventually find your thing, just keep at it.

Chris

trymyluck
08-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Mate your gotta stop thinking of yourself all the time.;D;D;D;D If ya gonna get sick ya gonna get sick.Just make sure the night before you eat lots of sardines, herrings, tuna ect;D;D;D Lots of ready made burley.

Mark

Mrs Ronnie H
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi
haveing only been sea sick once in my life i do not wish that feeling on anyone. Hardly any sleep and not much to eat I think was the reason.

I have heard ginger works well but have you tried taking two junket tablets. Works wonders. The only problem is that i have not seen them on supermarket shelves for awhile so you may have to try a health food or specialty shop to buy them now.

Good luck

Ronnie

fundi
09-03-2009, 07:49 AM
not a nice thing to go through
some old tricks that works are a large glass of salt water to settle the stomach
try sitting and looking at your toes for a while
the best is get to the back of the boat while on the move that way you can,t smell the salt air this works well in diesel boats

give it a go and get back to me

cheers fundi

Noelm
09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I have found during my years of taking out newbies, is first off, try to make the first trip out an afternoon affair, not too sure why, but I reckon it has something to do with the body all awake and working properly, rather than running around in the dark pre dawn, half a coffee, and a dodgey rushed breakfast is enough to make a newcomer a bit queezy later on, but afternoon seems to be OK, next is a couple of Anniseed lollies to chew on during the trip, that also helps big time, also avoid untangling lines, cutting bait and so on, they are another recipe for a woozy crew, if the crew are well known and you know they are prone to seasickness, then the mentioned "drugs" will help, but if they are first timers, then what I have mentioned will help somewhat, along with trying to keep the busy and look at the distance as much as possible, I consider myself very lucky to not get sick at all, and my kids are the same, but I have had some very sick crew at times I can tell you.

oldboot
09-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I am very suspicious of the glass of salt water.... it is more likley to make you throw up.

As for looking at your toes......looking down is exactly what you dont want to do

Getting to the bak of the boat is a good idea but it has nothing to do with the salt air and evreything to do with the ride beeing smoother at the back.
Unless you are in a large displacement hull boat , then the middle might be better.

cheers

spelchek
09-03-2009, 12:03 PM
not a nice thing to go through
some old tricks that works are a large glass of salt water to settle the stomach
try sitting and looking at your toes for a while
the best is get to the back of the boat while on the move that way you can,t smell the salt air this works well in diesel boats

give it a go and get back to me

cheers fundi

May I be the first to call you a true prick.

Funny, but a prick nonetheless :)

themissus
09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I have tried EVERYTHING!!! The only thing I have found to really work are the tablets ET advertises on his show from the compound chemist. They are not cheap at 27 bucks inc postage for 10 doses. But well worth it when it keeps you in the good books with the skipper. One thing I did discover, I can't drink after taking them. Took one when we were in the Solomon Islands at about 2 in the arvo. Back on dry land at 5.30pm in time for arvo drinks....1/2 glass of gin and tonic and I was severely off my chops.
Let me know if you want the phone number
Cheers Kim.

DR
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
have decided to try the ET tabs, just ordered some..$19.95 + postage...the only cure that has ever worked for me was illegal :P:-/ & you being 14 I can't recommend it ::);D..

nickstock
09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I am a firm believer that it is in your head. I used to get sea sick everytime that I went on a charter. I would curl up on the deck spewing my ring up until we anchored up over a reef. Then the fish would start coming on board and I would be fine. On the way home or between spots, same story. Sick as a dog. One day a skipper told me to eat 3-4 oranges before I left and whenever we anchored up for a fish. Worked for me? Travel Calm and Kwell made me even worse.

One thing I know is that I have never been sick in my own boat even in rough weather. I think it may have something to do with concentrating on driving ect.

My missus on the other hand gets sick as a dog. We tried nearly everything until someone said to drink 1.5 liters of Ginger Beer. Just drink it on the way to the ramp and by the time your out to the first mark she is finished it. So far she is yet to be sick by using this method which is a bonus for me. Remember...Un happy wife means un happy life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick

nickstock
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Very important detail that I forgot to add,

If you are doing an over nighter and you have polished off a dozen oranges, dont forget a few rolls of Dunny Paper!!!!!!!!!

Bros
09-03-2009, 03:18 PM
If you are doing an over nighter and you have polished off a dozen oranges, dont forget a few rolls of Dunny Paper!!!!!!!!!

If it doesn't come out one end well I suppose the other is a bit more pleasant.

Braddles
09-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Some good tips here guys - and a popular thread

As someone indicated - there is no magic cure for everyone - just like there isnt fuel that powers every car...

You need to do a bit of trial and error - but just be cautious of taking more than one remedy at a time (even over the counter preparations) as the combined effect can be very unsafe. Never take an antihistamine before operating machinary / driving to the ramp, esp. at 4am when your already weary eyed. If you feel tired (some pple are more sensitive than others to the sedating effects of medication) dont drive, or if already out, anchor up somewhere safe and have a rest.

The concept of vomiting / Sea sickness is nearly always multifactoral - and differs for each of us. We all have varying receptors in our central nervous system that are known as "emetic centres" which can cause us to feel miserable, and if stimulated for long enough, vomit... The difference is - some vomiting is anticipatory (people get sick in boats, so I will too, or I was sick last time so this time I will too), some are as a result of our vestibular / cochlear centre that coordinates balance which doesnt match to what we see / sense with proprioception, sometimes its olfactory (smell of fuel, kero stove, fish guts), sometimes psychosomatic (see someone else being sick, so your induced into nauseated state too etc ect - I cant think of the others off the top of head.. but medications work on these different receptors - so you need to find a medication that targets the vomiting centre thats causing you to feel sick - if that makes sense.

We also have varying thresholds or tollerances at these emetic centres - so what makes me vomit may be well tollerated by my brother, same as I can only drink 2 beers and feed affected, where other's tollerance can be much more. We can modulate our threshold or sensitivity of these emetic centres by some of the things people have already pointed out. Things that make us more tollerable of emetic stimuli include

Keeping cool
Keep grazing (keep the guts working)
Good ventilation
Avoid cabbins (keep view of horizon)
Rest before going (good nights sleep)
Avoid alcohol / coffee
Avoid smoking / passive smoking

Some medications that I have found have the best success are:

1. Scopolamine - by far the best. Try to find a compounding pharmacy and they will make you up a scopolamine stick to apply to your wrists (like in a lip gloss applicator). It is transdermally absorbed very well. You may be able to buy transdermal patches - talk to your pharmacy.

2. Travel Calm - tablets - cheap and easily obtainable... Not quiet as successful as scopolamine but still very good.

Good luck and let us know how you go...

Regards,

Brad.

oldboot
09-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Vitamin B in the form of vegimite sandwedges is a popular motion sickness preventative among motor racing navigators.

I know this is a fact, as testified by seeing many vegimite sandweges splatterd down the pasenger side of rally cars.

So that leaves me wondering about the effectiveness;D

I learned not to step up to the navigators door, when a car came into a controll till I could see the colour of the navigators face
Vegimite sandwedge vomit has a distinctive smell and does not come off you jeans or shoes easily.:-/

cheers

wilcara
10-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm with Braddles 100% - a good response.

The affliction varies from one person to another, as does the cure. The various medications contain different substances and you need to try them out to see what works best for you, other peoples advice is useless.

Remember that the only cure is to sit under a gum tree.

oldboot
10-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I found the mythbusters program on sea sickness very interesting.

Most interesting was that they concluded there are some who simply are not capable of becomming sea sick, yet others could be reliably employed as burley machines.

Such is the variation in responses.

So regardles of if you, drive the porecelean buss, pray to neptune, calling for hughy, looking for ralph, are good freinds with chuck chunder, lay a burly trail, laugh at the fishes, serve at the bar or just feel crook.
It all a personal thing::)

cheers

Nic
10-03-2009, 03:28 PM
So regardles of if you, drive the porcelain bus, pray to neptune, calling for hughy, looking for ralph, are good friends with chuck chunder, lay a burly trail, laugh at the fishes, serve at the bar or just feel crook.
It all a personal thing::)

Mate you forgot 'shouting Europe at the sink'. ;D You're right about it being a personal thing though... as somebody who gets seasick, there's nothing worse than hearing someone say airily, "Sheesh -- why don't you just [eat ginger/look at the horizon/gnaw on the gunwale/put three weasels down your pants] and you'll be fine!"

That sort of talk drives me spare... we are ALL different and no cure works on everybody. (That's not to say different suggestions aren't welcome, of course.)

And don't get me started on the crowd who tell you it's all in your mind! Last time I got seasick it was completely unexpected, as I have tablets that always work for me. Then I saw that particular pack had expired last century! I replaced it and have been fine ever since. So yeah... sea spews are not some sort of mental disorder.

Anyway good luck Snag, I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. Lots of good info and suggestions on this thread. :)

Jungle Jim
10-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Here’s is my two cents

I believe it is at least 90% psychological at least in the first instance. i was getting motion sickness from time to time so i did a Google search and sure enough a whole heap of different theories came up.

The one I believe and the one i have since come to put into practice basically revolves around your mind playing a trick on your body. For now i’m going by memory but effectively the page stated something along the lines of.

Your eyes are seeing something different to what your inner ear is feeling. Example looking straight down at the floor of the boat which is not moving but you are rolling around and your inner ear can sense that. So your inner ear says we are going up and down but your eyes are telling you something different. Your body then decides that you have ingested a hallucinogen and triggers the release of some chemical to cause you to purge that (perceived) toxin.

I describe the feeling of seasickness as exactly the same feeling of indulging in a few too many frosties. Funnily enough in both cases your body is trying to rid itself of the toxin. Albeit in the case of the seasickness a perceived toxin.

So I followed the advice and started to really concentrate on my surroundings. Consciously reminding myself that yes we are indeed bouncing around a bit as per what my ears were telling me. Motion sickness prevented. Hopefully it works offshore too...

This therory also supports other causes and remedies
That you grow out of it. Could that mean we learn how to manage these sensations differently?
looking at horizons/fixed point. looking at a fixed poitn would help your eyes determin that you are indeed moving with the same motions as your ears are experiencing.
likewise at night or in the cabin. i geuninely belive that any time your eyes and ears tell you different stories is the begining of the end.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has ever been sick whilst IN the water eg surfing, skiing etc. To me it would suggest that if you were in the water you would be very conscious of your movement and it would near on impossible for your eyes and ears to tell you to different stories.

I'm not conceited enough to believe im right but confident enough to believe im on the right track.

JIM

Ozwald
10-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Here's a link to a discussion on the pharmaceutical approach in the US. I've put the wife on non-drowsy dramamine recently and it worked well.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-forum/173797-sea-sickness.html

themissus
10-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I got sea sick snorkeling at Julian Rocks. It was pretty lumpy(the swell) and I didn't cope with it at all. On the boat was even worse::)
The captain keeps telling me its in my head. Even on the ET tablets I can start to feel a bit quezy if I bend towards the floor of the boat or dont eat regularly. If I start to feel a bit funny I eat and I'm fine. I crave stuff like salty corn chips.
Cheers Kim.

buttcrack
10-03-2009, 05:05 PM
i take kwells but they make you drowsey so I take no doze.This is wat the lady at the chemist put me onto have had no problems so far.in the first hour I also drink a fair bit of water to easy.

needTHEnet
10-03-2009, 08:22 PM
thanks ozwald that was a good read very usefull soon as i can cure my sickness i can catch more fish i still keepo going out just spew in between fish

onerabbit
10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Just so the sceptics who can't deal with the "it's in your head " theory feel better,

yeah, even I have days when am not so happy,

but only after a big night on the beer the night before,
or an empty gut that morning,

the thing is, once you have it in your head, "Oh no, I dont want to get sick",
you are probably already half way there ..........

Keep busy, drive the boat if you have to, catch fish.........
Sakata bickies can help, or what ever will line your stomach. (will also give you something to spit up before you get back to the job at hand )

But by all means DONT WORRY ABOUT IT, there is nothing surer to ruin your day than thinking about how you DONT WANT TO GET SICK..................

Once you do, you are gone..........

Just keep trying, it is something that you will get used to.

Muzz

Platitudinus
10-03-2009, 08:38 PM
When we used to go out fishing in the English channel we learnt two things:
1. Wash your hands in a bucket of cold sea water for 1 minute, first thing in the morning and your hands stay warm all day
2. Have a good breakfast - it doesn't stop you being sick but tastes better than just bile when it comes up!

Seriously Kwells - just half a tablet does me fine
P

champion
10-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Some good tips here guys - and a popular thread

As someone indicated - there is no magic cure for everyone - just like there isnt fuel that powers every car...

You need to do a bit of trial and error - but just be cautious of taking more than one remedy at a time (even over the counter preparations) as the combined effect can be very unsafe. Never take an antihistamine before operating machinary / driving to the ramp, esp. at 4am when your already weary eyed. If you feel tired (some pple are more sensitive than others to the sedating effects of medication) dont drive, or if already out, anchor up somewhere safe and have a rest.

The concept of vomiting / Sea sickness is nearly always multifactoral - and differs for each of us. We all have varying receptors in our central nervous system that are known as "emetic centres" which can cause us to feel miserable, and if stimulated for long enough, vomit... The difference is - some vomiting is anticipatory (people get sick in boats, so I will too, or I was sick last time so this time I will too), some are as a result of our vestibular / cochlear centre that coordinates balance which doesnt match to what we see / sense with proprioception, sometimes its olfactory (smell of fuel, kero stove, fish guts), sometimes psychosomatic (see someone else being sick, so your induced into nauseated state too etc ect - I cant think of the others off the top of head.. but medications work on these different receptors - so you need to find a medication that targets the vomiting centre thats causing you to feel sick - if that makes sense.

We also have varying thresholds or tollerances at these emetic centres - so what makes me vomit may be well tollerated by my brother, same as I can only drink 2 beers and feed affected, where other's tollerance can be much more. We can modulate our threshold or sensitivity of these emetic centres by some of the things people have already pointed out. Things that make us more tollerable of emetic stimuli include

Keeping cool
Keep grazing (keep the guts working)
Good ventilation
Avoid cabbins (keep view of horizon)
Rest before going (good nights sleep)
Avoid alcohol / coffee
Avoid smoking / passive smoking

Some medications that I have found have the best success are:

1. Scopolamine - by far the best. Try to find a compounding pharmacy and they will make you up a scopolamine stick to apply to your wrists (like in a lip gloss applicator). It is transdermally absorbed very well. You may be able to buy transdermal patches - talk to your pharmacy.

2. Travel Calm - tablets - cheap and easily obtainable... Not quiet as successful as scopolamine but still very good.

Good luck and let us know how you go...

Regards,

Brad.

Brad it is intersting what you have said, are you a Doctor ?

Joe

oldboot
10-03-2009, 09:57 PM
From memory bradles is a paramedic.

if i remember scopolonine is used a as a truth drug......so if you use it don't try telling fibs to the Mrs or the fishing inspector;)

The idea that it is in your mind IE part of concious thaught.....probaly not.

It is all done in your head however.......at a level deeper than your subconcious.

you may be able to use tricks to fool your subconcious.

cheers

justjack
10-03-2009, 10:16 PM
ive heard the best cure for sea sickness is the shade of a gum tree....

oldboot
10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
So I should have a eucalipt as a pot plant on the boat;D

cheers

justjack
10-03-2009, 11:16 PM
na it has to be a big tree hahaha or you have to have a bloody big boat

snagking
11-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys, I'll let you know how I go the next time I go out.

DR
11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
well, just received my ETs compound chemist seasick tablets & lo & behold the main ingredient is scopolamine with some ginger, caffene & other stuff i can't pronounce let alone spell:-[. look forward to the weather settling & giving them a go..

jake0
11-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Vitamin B in the form of vegimite sandwedges is a popular motion sickness preventative among motor racing navigators.

I know this is a fact, as testified by seeing many vegimite sandweges splatterd down the pasenger side of rally cars.

So that leaves me wondering about the effectiveness;D

I learned not to step up to the navigators door, when a car came into a controll till I could see the colour of the navigators face
Vegimite sandwedge vomit has a distinctive smell and does not come off you jeans or shoes easily.:-/

cheers

yes i to have vegimite sanags, seem to work ok, also i read oranges, might give this a go

champion
11-03-2009, 04:03 PM
From memory bradles is a paramedic.

if i remember scopolonine is used a as a truth drug......so if you use it don't try telling fibs to the Mrs or the fishing inspector;)

The idea that it is in your mind IE part of concious thaught.....probaly not.

It is all done in your head however.......at a level deeper than your subconcious.

you may be able to use tricks to fool your subconcious.

cheers
Very true oldboot,

My mrs is on a program to trick/reprogram her mind. She has been suffering from (a doc believes, and we have seen many) silent migrains for about a year now.
She has sea legs all the time (no vomiting). When she walks the floor moves..... and part of her rehab is to reassure herself that everything is ok, mind games with herself really.

So yes it can be in your head, But there is a LOT more to it !!

Joe

wilcara
12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Some good answers here...

I would be interested to hear if anyone has ever been sick whilst IN the water eg surfing, skiing etc.

Yes many do, I get sick in my kayak after a while sometimes if it is rough enough.

Brad it is intersting what you have said, are you a Doctor ?

Braddles and me are the two resident paramedics on the forum.

Also, as a matter of interest and I wonder if anyone else is the same, as I get older I find I am getting more prone.

When I was around 20 I was working on a boat and hardly ever got sick, maybe only if it was hot and fishy smelly and had my head down doing something and the boat was rolling in a swell..... enough to make anybody sick. I always had boats and sailed etc...

Now I am 54, and I find I really have to plan on taking someting before I go out whatever the conditions. This is annoying!

Anybody else like that?

FNQCairns
12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I have been sick while spearfishing, rough water is never a problem but it was a BIG calm rolling swell, from a cyclone way offshore when I lived in SEQ.

The view from the mask in 8m deep water was like zooming in and out, I had no defence and polluted the imediate 5m radius a couple of times:-[
Kept my buddys from stalking any fish down current from me for a while;D

cheers fnq

DR
12-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I would be interested to hear if anyone has ever been sick whilst IN the water

JIM

Ah yes, & as bad as it was I still chuckle..
My wife gets chronic motion sickness. While in Cairns a few years back, it was a pristine glassie day on the water so we decided to do the reef snorkelling thing. Took 1 1/2 hours to run out on the big cat. climbed onto the pontoon which was almost stationary, almost... wifey had started to feel decidely unwell, all info says if you can jump into the water & all will be good, jumped in for a snorkel & made very little difference. We climbed back on board & as all toilets were engaged the missus went to what was, she thought, a secluded, hidden spot behind something on the deck..I wandered over as she lost breakfast & possibly last nights tea as well, very shortly after i heard excited voices down on the under water viewing deck 'look at all the fish, they are feeding them' thats when i realised she had her spit right in front of the window below, heaps crowded around taking pics & enjoying watching the fish eat spew.... I was up top pi**ing my pants.
she was actually that crook that the staff were worried & I ended up putting her on the Tourist chopper & sending her back to cairns rather than make her suffer another 1 1/2 hour run back. Pilot had a spare seat for return journey so let her have it for the cost of a joy flight..

nautical prince
13-03-2009, 07:13 PM
i find as soon as you wake up take a kwell and before you head out trough the bar drop another one. get heaps of sleep the night before and stay off the piss as well if that dosent work when you are ill out there take a dip in the water for about five minutes hope this helps

PS make sure your crew havent got bait in the water when you jump in there are a few big totthy criters out there to watch out for!!!

Bear001
13-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I never used to get crook when I was younger. But now I find I have to behave the night before, (no grog, no chinese) and have a quell the night before & 1 the next morning with some vegemite on toast.

If pretty rough I have another about lunchtime, but nibble on some chips and coke. Keeps the guts working.

I have read with interest all the comments about ET's tablets and ingredients and might order some to try - I am getting more seasick as I get older and some days are pretty tough esp with baiting up, rigging up.

Can anyone tell me how long their shelf life is? I dont get to the coast very much anymore. But I use the tablets for flying now too.??

snagking
13-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys for all the info!

Braddles
13-03-2009, 09:30 PM
sorry guys - Not a paramedic..

I am a kids ICU and aeromedical retrieval nurse (part time), and 3rd year medical student (B. medicine, B. Surgery)...

And a very keen but very amaturish fisherman of course!

DR
13-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I never used to get crook when I was younger. But now I find I have to behave the night before, (no grog, no chinese) and have a quell the night before & 1 the next morning with some vegemite on toast.

If pretty rough I have another about lunchtime, but nibble on some chips and coke. Keeps the guts working.

I have read with interest all the comments about ET's tablets and ingredients and might order some to try - I am getting more seasick as I get older and some days are pretty tough esp with baiting up, rigging up.

Can anyone tell me how long their shelf life is? I dont get to the coast very much anymore. But I use the tablets for flying now too.??

shelf life of 6 months, you get 10 doses..

brisryan
13-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Since I got really sick I have been following the steps below and have not thrown up since.. but i do still feel a bit funny in the stomach..

- Night before I take Avomine and then follow the instructions for repeat doses.
- While on the journey I take *additional Kwells.
- Take 1 pack mintys, 1 pack fantails. and constantly chew on them.

Kwells/Avomine maybe will make you a bit tired, works for me maybe it will work for you.

Regards,
ryan

ifishcq1
14-03-2009, 11:57 PM
one bloke I know with a seasick problem goes out on wide trips quite often
on the way out he gets totally stonkered until he passes out
when he wakes up he is right for the rest of the trip
personally I think he is just a pi..head, but it does work for him
If one of your crew is one of the unlucky sufferers feed him sardines or tuna the night before so at least his burley will be a possitive

SL

Sea-Dog
17-03-2009, 07:03 AM
The best way to avoid sea-sickness is to choose your parents carefully....

I knew a skipper of a trawler out of Bundy years ago who was reputed to get crook EVERY SINGLE TRIP for the first day.

He would curl up on the front deck with his head hanging over the side. After the first day he was as right as rain.

He was ex-SAS. You'd have to be a tough bugger to skipper a trawler for a living, knowing you were going to be hurling for the first day every trip.

A mate of mine used to give the turps a bit of a go the night before fishing. One morning he was late getting up and VERY hung over.

I decided to pay out on him. I made sure that I talked LOUDLY every chance I could.

I also described to him in great detail how I was able to make another bloke throw up by describing foods in various stages of decay.

I worked a treat ;D Lots of burley that morning. Old mate was slumped in the bottom of the boat trying to sleep it off. It was a shame to have to keep waking him up.

I'm a firm believer in assisting someone with a self-inflicted injury. :P

So does that entitle me to a mongrel award?

Most of the cures here have been preventatives. One thing I've noticed is that nobody hurls when they have a fish on the line.

ferral
20-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi I get sick in the bath tub got the wrist bands from chemist about 25.00 a pair works for me, You can also take travelcarm with it,have not chucked since.

Wear the fox hat
28-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Sea Dog,
The best joke I have heard about was a friend of mine eating a whole pilchard in front of fellow fishers in a boat. He had immediate results as everybody was sick. He was a top bloke but a prick to take fishing as he was always into the bait, whether it was pilchards, green prawns (he'd eat the heads too), pippies or whatever was laying around.

WTFH

optimist
29-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Great thread guys and some great info....

It was interesting to read about the oranges - in a group discussion recently on this subject and one of the cures was to drink some lemon juice or suck on a lemon.

Maybe there is something to that cure....

Good luck, as it is always horrible and really ruins a special day out.

Cheers,

The_Tub
30-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi fellas

A mate of mine wpuld get sick looking at the boat in the water,on the way to evans from ballina i would give him a travel calm and by the time we got there he would be acting as if he's had ten beers or so,as soon as we had launch and were on our way out he would be fine for the rest of the trip,is it mind over matter or a middle ear balance thing or both?

cheers mal

Sea-Dog
31-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Eat lots of Bananas whilst on the boat. Cures sea-sickness and superstition in the one action.

rc@hinze
31-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Only been outside 4 times and didn't really enjoy the feeling the first three times. Felt very seedy like I was going to spew but managed not to. 4th time put on the pressure wrist bands and couldn't believe the difference. Felt totally fine. Maybe it was psychosomatic or maybe they really worked. Haven't been out since to re-prove it.

mikeyh
05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Great post.....and some great replies...
my 2c worth...and acknowledge I am pretty late to this post
I am a very keen scuba diver (&fisho) and basically accepted from pretty early on that trips outside meant having a huge (or multiple) spews over the side were just part of the deal. One rabbit - yes like a few others I have been sick out of the boat.......most memorable was decompressing upside down in 3m swell at 3m depth and constantly vomiting through my regulator...but I had been partying all night..pretty silly in hindsight. On week long liveaboards I have used scop patches which worked well but very dry mouth. From memory took it off in the shower after the 2nd day and then was fine. I actually

I have used bands and for me think they were 100% placebo and didnt work so well on many occasions. Have tried kwells, andromine, dramamine, no grog etc over the years but certainly agree with all others that I have never been sick on my own boat. I also find that i I can lie down I always feel better..Inever been sick at night lying down in spite of some cross ocean voyages in rough weather....... guess as in life different strokes for different folks..........

Have to say 1000% envious of those sea dogs that can put up with whatever with a smile and nar a sick gut.......

Mike

Blueroo
05-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I found the more I go out the less crook I become.
Kwells are the best solution for me but different strokes for different folks.
Cheers
Stue

welder
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
We have found that Ginger Snap cookies work very well for those that get that I', going to spew thing going on.
Next is Dramamine , take it the night before.

Always_offshore
07-04-2009, 04:28 PM
sitting under a tree ???

BeastMaster
07-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I have a friend who suffers from sea sickness something bad , to over come it ,he takes a kwell the night before and one the morning of the trip - drinks plenty of cold water whilst out - I also let him drive the boat as it takes his mind off his stomach. - seems to work.
Beast

hoodunnit
07-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I Have Always Used Kwells And Swear By Them.

1975fflh
15-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Eat something when you start to feel quesy, a vegemite or jam sanga, you wont think you can do it but eat a sange and drink some water you will feel better, do not lie down makes you worse.

The other one is eat some ginger before you go, health food shops sell ginger lollies, but must be real ginger not ginger flavouring.

Pirate Pete
15-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Here’s is my two cents

I would be interested to hear if anyone has ever been sick whilst IN the water
JIM

Well unfortunatley I have to say that I've been crook twice whilst on scuba, so I learnt it is always handy to have a spare reg handy after you have filled up the first one.

MY ALIBI
17-04-2009, 07:57 AM
just keep on goin and good luck

Owen
18-04-2009, 07:59 AM
My wife gets seasick doing the washing up.
A friend put us on to this little watch like device that delivers tiny electric shocks at regular intervals.
If she uses that in conjunction with quells she's fine. Leave one out & 10 minutes after we stop, she's green.
I've never been really seasick, so I can't vouch for it personally (very light side to side rocking makes me a bit off, but a beer (ginger or XXXX) fixes that)
I've always thought she needed electro-shock therapy :)
The question is, if I run a jumper to the coils will I cure her completely?

BobbyJ123
18-04-2009, 10:19 AM
sitting under a tree ???

Yup, a good old Spike Milligan saying.:D

bruiser 2
19-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Pauls custard 2ltr bottle ice cold.
Best bloody thing to happen to me.done a lot of offshore yacht racing and have had my fair share of the curse.while doing a bris to gladstone, vomiting my heart out first night and thought the boys wanted more of a show. Had the custard and stopped and within 30 minutes, felt well enough to go back to trimming and steering the yacht.

Fish Lips
27-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I rarely get seasick, but sometimes after a long day on the water, i feel a bit queasy when i'm back on land. (usually once the boats all put away and the fish are cleaned etc. and i'm sitting on the couch)

go figure???
:-/

red rock cod
30-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Dont laugh. Have seen this work for travel sickness on a bus. Should work if you are sitting while trolling. Sit on a newspaper.

Salty_Dog
30-04-2009, 02:13 PM
I rarely get seasick, but sometimes after a long day on the water, i feel a bit queasy when i'm back on land. (usually once the boats all put away and the fish are cleaned etc. and i'm sitting on the couch)

go figure???
:-/

Yeah i can vouch for that feeling.... often comes when having the "after fishing shower" everything gets a bit spinny and unstable... i love it!!! Free drugs ;)

GBC
30-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Dont laugh. Have seen this work for travel sickness on a bus. Should work if you are sitting while trolling. Sit on a newspaper.

Would that be rolled or unrolled? Still not laughing:P