PDA

View Full Version : Hombre's, AJ's and The Outlaw

Lucky_Phill
06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to go fishing today. ;D :P

4 Hombre’s and the Ring Leader headed out from the MBTBC ramp at 5am. South passage was fine and the seas agreeable. Light ESE wind and cloud cover.

First stop was to pick up some livies. The close reefs produced good numbers of mostly slimies from 25 mtrs. With sufficient onboard we moved in closer to the big island to troll for a Spanish. A few passes of spot X and no takers so the lines were hauled in only to find that 2 of the 3 baits had been “ killed “. It appears that schoolies had munched them. :-/ :(

The throttle was let loose on the twin 225 Hondas and East we went. Passing Bill Corten on Reel Affair at the 35’s we continued to about the 42’s. John Palermos Cougar Cat " Nitro " was already there with a few x- Broncos on board as well as a 7kg snapper to Alan Cann and assorted bottom dwellers covering the bottom of the esky. They ended up with a very good per head catch for the day.

The skip found the drift and the patch of likely suspects on the big Furuno so over went the Christians to the Lions. Bang, bang, bang , bang…… yep four hits. Damn, 1 lost….double damn….1 got sharked and then the taxman hit another…..I was lucky enough to drag my prey through the kaos and deck a nice Yellowtail Kingie.8-)

OK, re-rigged and time for another crack…. Yep on again….and again. The best we done was 2 x Quadruple hook ups with all landing their respective fishes. Pic below.

The drifts continued with AJ’s, Yellowtail and Trag Jew starting to worry the underfloor killtank capacity. Craig, the newbie was a tad anxious and was threatened with Valium to clam him down….. hitting too soon, high sticking and constant pressure releases on the drop made for some interesting moments, but in the end he held his head high and contributed his share of the bounty.

The live baits worked a treat as well as dead baits towards the end on the day.

I’d like to thank Mark for the invite and John Gooding, from Outlaw Charters , for once again providing the fishing platform from whence we bagged our share. John’s new boat, a 7.6 Patriot with 2 x 225 Hondas up her clacker did the job nicely.

Cheers Phill

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/March-6-group.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/March-6-mark-aj.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/March-6-quadhookup.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/March-6-boat.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/March-6-motors.jpg

Benno1
06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
thats why your nic is "Lucky Phil" :D...what a day!!!...out on a cracker of a boat...good company and snagged a decent feed...nice...VERY NICE :D
cheers for the piccies and report Phil :D
How was the ride???...how much feul do you think she chewed???

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

TimiBoy
07-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Nice haul, nice tub, nice day.

What else can I say??

Cheers,

Tim

rakinray
07-03-2009, 07:10 AM
G/ day Phill looks like a good day out, how was the current out wide ? Have been holding out for a trip wide thinking that it would be roaring ! The Trag look good size, any snapper ? We often bump into John and parties at the Nth bait grounds always found him friendly and polite to chat with. The big Haines is some rig ! Well done on the fish mate will catch up soon.

CHEERS RAY ;D

larfin
07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Top catch there phil but im drooling more over the boat
cheers
greg

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Mrs Benno 1.

Think we only used about 150litres. Power to weight ratio and all that. John gave it a squirt on the way back on some flat water. My guess is we hit 80kph well before WOT. The ride was better than his old boat ( 680 with twin 150's ), I still feel it was a little ' light ' in the front end. Boats are a personal thing though.

Ray,

Not much current at all really. We did used 1/2 lb dropper leads to get the livies down. Nope, no snapper on our boat. That'll be for the winter trips. John palermo got lots of Squabbies., aj's, y'tails etc .... ;) and one snap at 7kg.

Timi,

yep.............................8-)

update......... had Yellowtail last night. Fillets in crumbs and shallow fried. Some chilli, lemon pepper and chinese 5 spice...... For breakfast i had fillets again, but this time I fried them bare, dropped them on toast with a cheese and garlic sauce sprinkled with fresh parsely. :) Some one has to do it !!!!!!

phill

skipalong
07-03-2009, 03:42 PM
nice catch of fish phill top effort

cheers justin

jtpython
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I wish I JUST HAD TO GO FISHING
Nice rig looks awesome would be a nice at out on the water
Nice feed by the way to sounds like great conditions
JT

outsiderskip
07-03-2009, 05:57 PM
hi phil
but u neglected to say that john on nitro
caught at least 50 sqr or snapper5 trag few pearlies and a number of ajs andy/tail king with dead bait
livies will fish better at times but it also depends on fish targarted

pete

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Pete, I wasn't on Nitro, so I don't know what they eventually caught as all I knew what was said over the radio.

Yes to livies.... we were targeting arm stretchers and the others were into the reefies. Between the boats we caught the same species except for John P's snappers and pearlies.

Phill

whatscracken
07-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Its strange that you'd want to target AJ's and kingies all day when there were plenty of snapper around, Nitro may be a "cattle truck" Phill but Palermo sure does know his job.

Horse
07-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a gem of a day. Lots of fun and a great feed.

Neil

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Not too strange whatscracken... seeing as you know me that well to form an opinion on my type of fishing. ???

Maybe just as strange as wanting to be on a boat with 3 mates as opposed to 9. FYI, we had only one tangle all day, and it was the very last drop. We didn't fish ' all day ' as you stated, we pulled the pin at 12.30. Fished hard, bagged out, had a laugh and some fun, good feed and couldn't ask for more.

It's all a matter of opinion. I don't rate snapper as better table fare than AJ's. All fish fresh to me is good.

I love eatin Pearlies but they are a bucket mouth b#### to catch. Prefer to get smashed and have a fish fight all the way to the boat and even then, struggle to get it to the gaff / nett. Hence I rate Cobes to 20kg offshore similar to 40cm plus whiting up the Nerang on 6lb line.

phill

Horse
08-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Its strange that you'd want to target AJ's and kingies all day when there were plenty of snapper around, Nitro may be a "cattle truck" Phill but Palermo sure does know his job.

Whats so strange about it. I rate Snapper fairly low in the fresh fish stakes. They taste like an overgrown Bream IMHO. I actually prefer med Kings on the plate and they certainly give a lot more enjoyment catching them. I think a lot of people confuse the great looks of Snapper with their eating qualities.
Each to their own but why critisize another angler for their target choice.

Cheers

Neil

TimiBoy
08-03-2009, 06:57 AM
we had only one tangle all day, and it was the very last drop.

Take wags fishing. That'll change ;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

-spiro-
08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Oi Phill what about parrot..mmm..now i'll have to go to the freezer and pull out some for tea.
Everyone to there own, but i don't try and catch anything i don't eat.
Sometimes i'll take a AJ for dog food to save me giving them the stuff i eat.
Good catch Phill must be good to go offshore again hey?
Whats happening with REBAIT?

Lucky_Phill
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Chris.... I think you know my number one fav is Parrot.

Yes, been a while between trips.

ReBait is sitting in the front yard. I have a bilge pump that is not working... no biggy, but somehow there is water coming into the hull. I take about 100 litres per trip ( over 6 hours ), so it is no small leak.

Might be motor bracket bolts, screws holding down ladder ? I have filled the hull with as much water as I could and found no cracks in the hull etc. Might even be coming in from the scuppers and finding it's way south !! ??

Next trip looks like Roonies... overnighter in a couple of weeks so the leak needs to be fixed and the pump needs to work. It's a Johnson pump.... and we all know about those :-/

Might even be time to stretch the arms out Old Bill way on XOS AJ's.... it's that time of year. ;)

Phill

Lucky_Phill
08-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Cheers,

Tim

I have a way of dealing with tangles...... it's called a Stanley Knife. ;)

Tangle me once............unlucky

Tangle me twice...........unfortunate

Tangle me thrice.......... 'un long swim home :o

phill

jtpython
08-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Cheers,

Tim

::) Dam was only talking to him today about when he's coming back up to way ::) And now ya tell me he's the Tangle king will get some mileage out of that ;D
JT

wags on the water
09-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Cmon you guys!!! >:( >:( Everyone tangles their line with mine!!>:( >:(

Looks like I'll be fishing alone again...:'( :'(

roz
09-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice sized Trag Jew there Phill.

At least you managed a trip out, I'm beginning to wonder what it's like to be out on the water.:(

Aside from that, you've certainly earned your R&R.

Cheers Roz.

Lucky_Phill
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Roz,

yes, it was good to turn the off the mobile and have some ' me ' time.

The trip at the end of march looks OK. It'll be a mini M & G at Roonies by the looks. Most of the Agnes ferets will be there.

phill

T1
23-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Hence I rate Cobes to 20kg offshore similar to 40cm plus whiting up the Nerang on 6lb line.

phill

OMG, someone that understands... A lot think it's easy Phill, or not the same, but i beg to differ, as it appears you do too! Great work on the catch!!

Take Care T

Always_offshore
23-03-2009, 12:50 PM
love your attitude whatscracken,both nitro and outlaw are great charters, I like to have a great time with good people.If it was just about the fish it would be cheeper to go to morgans.

michael_mad_fisho
04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
i was actually on the last run out before john sold it. awesome rig plenty of guts i remeber he gunned it coming out of the leads and the thing just stands up nice fish aswell boys

Hainesy
08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Way to go Phil. We went out with John about 2 months ago and got a very similar catch. It was a tad rough on our day with about 35 knot across the bay on return, but it handled it well. Will have to catch up with you and The Deckie one day.

Dave

Lucky_Phill
08-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Yes Dave, will do.

I seem to recall thedeckie has a bar fridge downstairs for easy access ;)

Well, the Roonies trip didn't quite happen. Wind, wind and rain and wind.:'(

May sounds a likely month to get the big rig wet.

Phill.

Chong
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM
is that all you got::) :P :P :P

Roonies, mmmmmm, wont be till after codi mission unless your going solo;D

we can call a mission mid 2 late may;)