PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Spaniards

Rufus
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey to all,
Went for a fish on Tuesday with my mate Smithy, launched at Wello at 4.30am, out across the bay, following the authorised channels, out over the bar and up the outside of Moreton to the bait grounds. Caught a few livies and then moved up a bit further to a spot Smithy likes. First livie is set up and we start trolling. No sooner have we got two baites into the water and we get a hit, missed :'( , rebait and try again. As I am rebaiting Smithy takes a hit, missed again:'( . I have re baited and back into the water, no sooner have I put the rod into the holder and ist of, Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, whan a sound, I pick up the rod and we are into it. ;D About 10 minutes and a 9kg spaniard is gaffed and in the boat. First one for 2009. Very happy;D . A few more hit ans misses and we are out of livies. We trolled dead baits for another hour and nothing. Bloody fussy buggers.:-/ So with no livies and the action quiet, we head home.

Great weather, should have had more Livies.

regards, Mark

Benno1
06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
*note to self...catch as many livies as humanly possible*...least you came home with a decent feed tho Mark...good on you for getting out amongst it mate :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Chris_2184
09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
how fast do u troll your livies?

Rufus
09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Chris, we troll at about 3 knots.

tropicrows
09-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Do you run with a trailing hook or just the one on the bridle?

Vitamin Sea
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
G'Day Mark

Sure was a nice morning out on the water with a couple of fish to boot, I finally got my first as well.

Glad Smithy is ok, unfortunate accident.

See you out there next time.

Cheers

Bill

Rufus
10-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey Bill, Smithy is okay, and yes very unfortunate, spoiled a great day.

Hey Tropicrows, when we troll livies we have a small hook through the nose of the bait and a stinger pinned near the tail. Just need to be carefull to make sure the bait does not spin.

Cheers, Mark

levinge
11-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a case of "just bum luck with the hookups" Get a couple of Rapala Xrap 20's or 30's, they make good substitutes when the livies run out. I troll them at 4.5 knots and get loads of hookups.

Better luck next time.

Rufus
12-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey Levinge,

Thanks mate, when I lived and fished in Townsville I never had any troubles in hooking up a big Spaniard either. They tend to be a bit more cautious down here in Brisvagas. We trolled Rapala Xrap 20s, silver spoons and alike, nothing.

I like Mrs Benno's option "catch more livies" and things might gp a bit better.

Cheers, Mark

levinge
12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Guess we are just plum lucky up here in NQ.

By the time we are finished with them on their migration, they must be gun shy when it comes to lures.

Best of luck and keep trying, at least its better than getting stuck behind a desk dreaming about fishing...

Rufus
12-03-2009, 09:07 PM
You are correct there. Now to add salt to the wounds, and make things even worse down here we now have a massive Oil Slick on the outside of Moreton Bay. This will keep the fishing for Spaniards in this area quiet for a while.

Happy Fishing, Mark

levinge
13-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Mate your probably going to have to drive down to GC and chase them off that area. Hope they clean up the mess quickly and it doesn't impact the marine environment too much.

I'd hate to be the skipper of the vessel, he aint going nowhere for quite a while.

Greens can't whinge about the fisho's being the cause, its industry all the way.

Rufus
13-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey Levinge, Ain't that the truth, and here we have a prime example. The powers to be will find a way to blame the recreational fisherman for this, or will ask us for assistance to clean it up. They have that sort of nerve.

Take care and happy fishing, Mark

reel scream
13-03-2009, 05:58 PM
This will keep the fishing for Spaniards in this area quiet for a while.

Hopefully giving them a crack out there on Monday Mark. Will post if we do any good.

Cheers Scott