PDA

View Full Version : Murphys Law.

Leigh77
06-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Wednesday the 11th March. Thats the day that we will be leaving to head to Monduran for a week. The trip has been planned since late January, and lets just say the closer it gets, the more itchy I become.;D;D;D;D

But then Murphy has his say and throws in a cyclone...the low system could of just hang around for a bit and then pinged off...but no! Had to turn into a cyclone that will cross the coast according to the forecast.:-[:-[:-[:-[

All I can do is sit and wait to see what happens in the next 5 days. If anything good comes out of it, maybe the 'common sense fence' that surrounds Monduran will be knocked down.:P:P:P:P

Rant over.

Leigh.

themissus
06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
that bites!! you could always come and joint us at the bash instead?

Pete62
06-03-2009, 11:35 AM
She'll be right, don't fret, it will be all over by then, that's what I'm telling myself, see you up there on the 15th.

That's if the BB doesn't send me blind......................;)

Pete.

Leigh77
06-03-2009, 11:43 AM
She'll be right, don't fret, it will be all over by then, that's what I'm telling myself, see you up there on the 15th.

Pete.

My fingers are crossed Pete...and my toes!

As far as I know we have campsite 31 (near main entrance). Just look for a red Quinnie 385 explorer being towed by a green dual cab hilux. Good luck at the BB!

Leigh.

Pete62
06-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Cool, is that down on the flat as u come in? I have a powered site up near the top amenities and Camp Kitchen. 4.45 Seajay, Ausfish stickers on the bow and a Red Kluger.

Pete.

Jungle Jim
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Pete.

based on what i have read you will most likely be blind at some stage.

on the plus side leigh if you do head to the BB there be plenty of people to help you drown your sorrows

JIM

Pete62
06-03-2009, 12:01 PM
based on what i have read you will most likely be blind at some stage.

on the plus side leigh if you do head to the BB there be plenty of people to help you drown your sorrows

JIM

Ha, only if I stare into your boat once all the bling comes out.8-)

rc@hinze
06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Leigh, you might get a good inflow and experience a hot edge bite in newly flooded grass and you will think you are back at Hinze with giant bass on steroids! - Richard

Pete62
06-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Leigh, you might get a good inflow and experience a hot edge bite in newly flooded grass and you will think you are back at Hinze with giant bass on steroids! - Richard

Now that's the positive attitude we like to see Richard, That's exactly what will happen, can't wait.

Pete.

Leigh77
06-03-2009, 01:58 PM

I like the sound of that!

Now that's the positive attitude we like to see Richard, That's exactly what will happen, can't wait.

Pete.

Ok then Pete...I will look out for you around the 12,478,386,357,257 kilometres of edge that Monduran has.

Ha, that just reminded me of an encounter I had with another fisherman last time I was up there, over 18months ago!!!! An old bloke and his wife had just launched their tinny when they asked me where the best spot to start would be. Having only done 2 previous trips myself, the best knowledge I could give him was "just fish the timbered areas". He looked happy enough as they pottered their way up the dam.

My wife turned to me and said "you know, that isnt really helpfull considering the amount of timber in this place!"...my reply "Well, he will discover that when he gets further up the dam, but for now, he is a happy fisherman with a plan!".

Leigh.

mylestom
06-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Leigh,

The local contingent start with Pete62, we arrive the next day on the 16th for three weeks. Bet you will see a few interstate plates. We are camped up top power sites.

Quintrex Explorer Trophy, "PA'STIME" and 30 Honda, Maroon stripes and boat cover. (Guess I might have originally come from Qld.)

The inflow sounds great, but once the weeds and grasses rot the back of Bay B wasn't the place to be, two to three weeks after the inflow around this time last year. But did improve over a couple of weeks. There's always good points and bad points in regard to inflow. But Mondy with all the various bays/ points and currents, there is always an option.

The pleasure is being there, the bonuses are the fishing/scenery and nice people. Hope to catch up.

Reports this last week (From more of us southerners), been quite, but a couple of quality fish still coming in for those who are prepared.

Regards

Trev

Steve B
06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Leigh,

DONT WORRY

the cyclone is above CAIRNS!!!! there has never been any cyclone that crosses at Cairns that has any effect on Gin Gin (Monduran) its about 1500km away!!!!......you will be right. If the cyclone formed and crossed the coast at gladstone, or bundaberg then I would be thinking about it.

You will be OK mate...

Its funny, I was at foxies this morning and he had a call from a victorian worried about the same thing!!

Steve

Edit: The NQ boys on this site reckon it may?? cross between townsville and Mackay.......still wont affect Monduran!!

darylive
06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I am sure Borumba will be safe

BR65
06-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Monduran camp site lay out for general info
cheers
brian

Pete62
06-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Monduran camp site lay out for general info
cheers
brian

Thanks Brian, Last time i think I was in pen 4, def don't want to be down the bottom, must check.
Pete.

BR65
06-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Pete, I reckon if your on an un-powered the best spots IMO are along the fence line on the high ground, need topick and choose carefully though, some spots turn to slush in a bit of rain, or if a Mondy special rips thru.
I used to like site 13 for powered camping, but I had a river run thru there one nite.
If you score a powered site down the bottom your in amongst the caravaners, cool if thats your thing, not cool if you only have a swag and a battery charger for the leccy.
Most trips now I dont bother with the powered site, i know the leccy will hold for a couple of days cause Im not on it as much as i used to, and a couple of good eskies see me thru with the tucker and beer.

Pete62
06-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Cheers Brian, I guess I am a bit soft, as I bring a 3 way esky/freezer with all my tucker pre cooked and ready to heat up. Do not want to be down the bottom section.

In regards to lecky batteries, I really need to top up ever night, well that's what i found last trip, I only have 75 AH at the mo.

Look forward 2 having an ale with u next weekend.

Pete.

BR65
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah, sweet mate, we can discuss Qld's dominance in the State Of Origin or some such equally interesting (to a QLD'er) topic lol.
Yup, the 75AH might need the top up for sure, my trojan 130 is getting a few years under its belt now, and Im noticing a decrease in out-put at the end of a long week end, so looks like time to splash out a few reddies to replace. Cant complain though, Im not exactly the most compliant consumer when it comes to battery TLC!
Re the tucker, Im useing one of those little butane powered single cookers, cheap as chips, go thru a cannister maybe every 2 trips, easy to pack and carry, boils the kettle in the morn quick as, and cooks the bangers in the little fry pan at nite as well. Winter time I toss a can of chunky soup in the saucepan, and add some pre chopped carrot and frozen peas and corn, bread roll with butter, happy days.
I must be getting hungry, seem to be fixating about food at the moment..........

TimiBoy
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
O'Toole's Law:

Murphy was an optimist...

Cheers,

Tim

Steve B
07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey Guys In previous posts I stated 'no cyclone in cairns will affect Gin Gin'

mmmm...I would like to revise that statement!!!! :o oops....glad I dont work at BOM.....actually, I probably could...getting things wrong is pretty much the norm!!!.!!!:P

check out the track of this baby!!! cheers Steve

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65001.gif?1236387961473

eotbmg
07-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah i just had a bit of a squizz. Looks like i am home bound next week.. Boo Hoo.

mylestom
07-03-2009, 03:28 PM

mmmm...I would like to revise that statement!!!! :o oops....glad I dont work at BOM.....actually, I probably could...getting things wrong is pretty much the norm!!!.!!!:P

Steve,

Been a ex-farmer you never put your faith in them, Usually if they can get it wrong they will. Being a fisherman you would also see what can happen. Not really an exact science.

They should pay both of them BOM forecasters and Politicians on a performance basis. They would both owe the general public heaps.

Just hope all are safe and well in its path, especially my Son and his family at Alva Beach. It can go right out to sea for all I like. Had my share.

Trev

Big_Ren
07-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I was at foxies this morning and he had a call from a victorian worried about the same thing!!

Steve

Stevo...That's where I thought the ambulance station was at Gin Gin;D

Big_Ren
07-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Leigh,

The local contingent start with Pete62, we arrive the next day on the 16th for three weeks. Bet you will see a few interstate plates. We are camped up top power sites.

Quintrex Explorer Trophy, "PA'STIME" and 30 Honda, Maroon stripes and boat cover. (Guess I might have originally come from Qld.)

Trev

Might see you there Trev. We are camping in a powered site from the Monday to Friday (23rd to 27th).

Cheers
Paul

Big_Ren
07-03-2009, 08:38 PM

If this is Hamish, is Andy to follow::)?

mylestom
07-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Might see you there Trev. We are camping in a powered site from the Monday to Friday (23rd to 27th).

Cheers
Paul

Paul,

Good to catch up with others, camped up top in powered sites as well.

Trev

Leigh77
09-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Feeling a lot more optimistic about the trip weather wise after seeing the latest BOM prediction.

The day we head to Mondy, the BOM has predicted a downgrade to level 2 and also a track that has it headed away from the coast. GOOD STUFF!

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

But they are just predictions after all, so will still be keeping a weather eye on the horizon.

Leigh.

Whitto
09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
If this is Hamish, is Andy to follow::)? I wonder if the Weather mob (couldn't spell bureau) have a sense of humor or watch Rove even.....8-)

Big_Ren
09-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I wonder if the Weather mob (couldn't spell bureau) have a sense of humor or watch Rove even.....8-)

Sense of humour?....of course they do Whitto......I bet they laugh each time they flip a coin before they put up the daily forecasts.....today will be mostly fine, with the chance of an evening shower, storm, cyclone and perhaps some snow;D ;D

Steve B
09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
LOL Paul,

The worst thing they can do is 'predict' that it will head out to sea.......that will most likely mean it will go the opposite direction and smash the coast!!

See what happens.....just a bit windy and drizzly here...might move to the disaster command centre in Gin Gin.....Foxies;D ;)

Cheers Steve

Big_Ren
09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
LOL Paul,

The worst thing they can do is 'predict' that it will head out to sea.......that will most likely mean it will go the opposite direction and smash the coast!!

See what happens.....just a bit windy and drizzly here...might move to the disaster command centre in Gin Gin.....Foxies;D ;)

Cheers Steve

Too right Steve......all Foxie needs to do is put a pie warmer in the shop and you are set for days;)

Might catch up with ya on the week of the 23rd.

Cheers
Paul