PDA

View Full Version : Who can do trailer repairs?

Angla
03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
My Twin axle Dunbier trailer needs a little TLC.

New Tyres, Wheels, Bearings and Brakes
Some new supporting metal for the rollers and the mainbox frame that joins both the side rails. Some other little stuff too.

The main frame is in good condition and the axles are also good. The wobble rollers are all tops too. It is just the rest that lets it down. I can also do all the wiring disco reco.

Does it all get re galvanised after repairs?

Northside Brisbane would be good but I will travel for a good job

Chris

trueblue
04-03-2009, 10:14 AM
There are a couple of trailer places over in Brendale, but one of the traps that I found is that they don't necessarily have the same springs and assemblies etc that will be needed to repair the trailer if it is not one of theirs.

They could certainly do welding repairs, and then send the trailer off for stripping and regalvanising, but you would have to talk with them about the replacement parts as to whether or not they can help there.

cheers

Mick

tenzing
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey Chris,
For the wheels bearings and brakes see Leo at united brake and clutch. It is over at coorparoo (56 morley st )but leo is good at the job and honest as the day is long. ph 33970977. It is worth the drive.
Cheers Brendan

Angla
04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Mick and Brendan, Thanks for the good advice. I may just let someone else do all the leg work if they are able to for a reasonable price.

Chris

146C
04-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Chris,

You could try Sandgate Custom Trailers 3869 1522.
I have had repairs done on my trailer by them.
Found their prices very reasonable and have been really pleased with their quality of work.

Dave

camboy
04-03-2009, 11:35 PM
The other end of town I know, but MJ Trailers at Yatala provide great service.

Camboy

Angla
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Chris,

You could try Sandgate Custom Trailers 3869 1522.
I have had repairs done on my trailer by them.
Found their prices very reasonable and have been really pleased with their quality of work.

Dave

Have been and seen Dave up there and he has the job to clean it up and get it all redipped. Will put up the results when finished but it looks like three weeks off the water.

Boat is a little high and dry for a while.

Chris

Sandman
07-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Chris i had th same deal but looking at yours i feel you would be shocked at the state mine was in all in all mine turned out ok but i did not bother galvanising.
mick

Angla
07-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Mick,

Did you have to cut any sections out? I took all the rollers off today, bitching job that was with all stainless split pins.

Will be replacing all the wheels and tyres to make the finish result look great too. I'm getting those white alloy ones. What sort of price did yours end up at for the repairs? I just asked for a ball park figure to work with. He said the dipping would be around 600 clams but just adds a lot of time to the job.

I will be loosening all the electrics tomorrow and taking off the brakes etc for less labour charges hopefully.

Chris

tenzing
07-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey Chris,
Now that you have those crappy grey rollers off, will you be replacing them with blue or red ones that wont leave that black mark on the boat? You know how I carry on about that.
Brendan

Angla
08-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Brendan.

I just went and cleaned them with WD40 before I took them off so they are going back on. I was under the impression that red and blue were fer tinnies.

Chris

Nanny King NQ
08-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Its a shame that your not up in NQ Matty Muller ausfisher mattmuller85 does some excellent work on trailers.

Cheers Rod....8-)

dnej
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Angla,
Red, for fibreglass,
Blue for aluminium.
Dont put blue on fibreglass, they are too hard.
David

tenzing
08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
There you go Chris,
Just swap a few clams for some shiny new red ones and you are away.
Brendan

Angla
08-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks Rod and David.

Brendan, It will just have to suffer with the dirty rollers (cleaned regularly)

This revitalised trailer will be seeing alot of Duralac and lanolin, I'm thinking

Chris

146C
05-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Chris, Have you got your trailer back yet? If so how did it go?

Dave

Angla
05-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Top stuff thanks Dave. It looks like a new one after a few small adjustments after it returned. It is now rewired from front to back with all LED's and the metal bits between the rollers are all protected now. The mudguards had to be taken off and adjusted to suit the different offset of the new wheels.

I will add some photos of the finished product

Cheers Chris

Spectre
06-05-2009, 01:33 PM
G'day Chris

Just spotted your post & have been reading with interest as have to do some mods & maintenance on my tandem axle trailer soon. Also looking at bigger axles & wheels etc.....so would like to get the boat off the trailer.

Did u have any trouble getting boat off the trailer...presume she is not back on yet if u are still doing mods to guards etc. How about getting her back on the trailer ..?? I must admit I am a bit nervous about slipping my boat off the trailer...would prefer to do it on to grass, just in case something slips !!!!! It has a really deep V ...so would need plenty of tyres.

Speaking of tyres I note you mentioned your were looking at new wheels & tryes on your trailer...do u still have the old ones, as I need to up grade mine to 14 ".
Are your old wheels paint over gal ...??

Cheers
Phil

Angla
08-05-2009, 11:20 AM
The finished result. I am very Happy::)

Spectre, sorry to say all the wheels are gone.

Cheers
Chris

Angla
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
G'day Chris

Just spotted your post & have been reading with interest as have to do some mods & maintenance on my tandem axle trailer soon. Also looking at bigger axles & wheels etc.....so would like to get the boat off the trailer.

Did u have any trouble getting boat off the trailer...presume she is not back on yet if u are still doing mods to guards etc. How about getting her back on the trailer ..?? I must admit I am a bit nervous about slipping my boat off the trailer...would prefer to do it on to grass, just in case something slips !!!!! It has a really deep V ...so would need plenty of tyres.

Speaking of tyres I note you mentioned your were looking at new wheels & tryes on your trailer...do u still have the old ones, as I need to up grade mine to 14 ".
Are your old wheels paint over gal ...??

Cheers
PhilWhen it came to letting the boat off the trailer. It was simple. I had about 4 inches of clearance on one side and a 3 foot drop on the other side as well as having it backed right up to the pool fence so that I had enough straight room to get the trailer out.
I went and borrowed 12 old tyres from the local Beaurepaires and started with a pair under each side at the transom. I just kept repositioning them as the boat came off the trailer under control using the winch strap to stop it from rushing off.
As the trailer comes out further I just added more pairs of tyres in the same way as at the back.
It took about 10 minutes to get the boat off the trailer.

It was easy to get it back on too. Just the same but in reverse and instead of pushing the boat off you will have to winch it on.

I did not have need to have it hooked to the vehicle at all and it was a one man job but a look out would make it just simple.

Cheers
Chris

146C
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Looks good chris, nice pics. Just a quick question what is the yellow stuff on the frame in pic 4?

Dave

Angla
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Looks good chris, nice pics. Just a quick question what is the yellow stuff on the frame in pic 4?

Dave

That is a liberal splash of duralac (applied with a finger) (it is very hard to gerni any excess off so read sticks like shi7 to rabbit fur) in between the metal joins and on nuts and bolts and on any rough patches I saw before I lanolin sprayed the whole trailer.

Cheers
Chris

bruce99
19-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Chris,
Nice work to your trailer , just wondering how much it it cost you, as i need some work done on my trailer as well.

thankyou