PDA

View Full Version : Captive Bung Fix

BaitThrower
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
On my old but newly acquired Sea Jay I noticed the Captive Bung thingies... i.e. these... http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=13789&intAbsolutePage=1&LinkedItem=&search123=bung

Well, one of them has come loose... Looks like fastener has broken or corroded etc. Looking at the other fixings for the other bung, it looks like they pop-riveted these in?

Should I try to just re-insert a new rivet or go with a screw/nut fixing (using duralac and sikaflex for sealing etc)

How are they fixed on your tinny? Rivets or screws/nuts? ::)

FNQCairns
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Mine are popped also, slack work IMO, go with all stainless countersunk screw with a nylock nut and heaps of marine polyurethane.

cheers fnq

BaitThrower
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Mine are popped also, slack work IMO, go with all stainless countersunk screw with a nylock nut and heaps of marine polyurethane.

cheers fnq

Yup, was planning on S/S screw and nylock nut... Marine polyurethane? You mean the duralac/sikaflex stuff?

northernblue
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
umm, do you two mean ss bolt & nylock nut?
I've used pop rivets & silicone before, if it's a trailer tinny.

FNQCairns
04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
umm, do you two mean ss bolt & nylock nut?
I've used pop rivets & silicone before, if it's a trailer tinny.

A countersunk stainless steel screw headed style bolt...I was being lazy,

yeah the polyurethane is the marine sika or 3M 4800/5200 (I think forget now). To keep it good after such a small job (it's expensive) for a year wrap the opened tube in a plastic bag and store in the freezer.

cheers fnq