PDA

View Full Version : Boat Security

Hammer007
03-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi,

I will be in the position where I can't keep the new boat locked up inside to keep it and any contents secure. The boat will be relatively hidden but nethertheless out in the open under cover. Contents left on the boat will be minimal wherever possible.

What do you guys use for peace of mind and security (I don't have a dog!)?

I have done a google check and can't seem to find any ideal cheap solution, I was thinking of some kind of movement sensor hidden under the boat cover! I could also employ an LED for deterrant.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hammer.

black runner
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Welcome Hammer,

I have floodlights in the driveway hooked up to sensors both of which are about 3.5 metres off the ground so are not easily tampered with. The boat is behind the driveway gate and covered, and the dog doesn't let anyone in unless with one of the family.;D

Have been here for 20 years and this setup has worked a treat although I had to replace the first dog - he lasted 14years but I think he retired at 12, and being a Labrador it would have been death by a thousand licks!

Cheers

Dean1
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Mate the trailer lock that supercheap sell is a good start the one that locks onto where the towball goes into about $25. I use one and also put it on when the trailer is on the car, stops honest thieves from stealing your trailer at the ramp as well. Cheers.

Krashtackle
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
We got a rottweiler...and boy is she good protection...but fail that I would have said a trailer mate lock for the tow ball and for added protection if the cover you have is a carport with posts or even a tree nearby, put a huge chain on the trailer..theives just wreck it for everyone :(

FNQCairns
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Remove hitch adjustment bolt and all wheelnuts but one on each side and the 1 on each side loosen them off to only just nipped up, works for my piece of mind:)

cheers fnq

sharkcat one
03-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi all,

I installed a heat and motion alarm in the house for about $1,100 , the sensors in the house are wireless so I bought another sensor for $90 and put it in the boat.
On the control panel you can select the one in the boat to stay on while your at home.
I think flood lights with sensors are a waste of time because someone else might think you are just putting out the garbage .

captain rednut
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
MY BOAT IS INSURED BY SMITH AND WESSON works for me

Xahn1960
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Get a Rottweiler :) Best security system ever !!! and great companions too......

joe 09
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
There will be something on the market real soon to give you and others peace for mind without costing the earth.

levinge
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Mine has a Trailer Cop, 2 hungry non people friendly dogs and this week picking up a Klamp It Wheel Clamp. Dogs don't like visitors, so they make plenty of noise. Plus we are on a main road, well lit and a steady flow of traffic (nowhere to hide)

Angla
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Just ring your insurance company and ask them what they allow as protective devices. A big chain and padlock around a tree may not mean diddly squat to them but the trailer hitch lock could give you a better rating.

Personally mine is behind gates with a savage dog (cocker spaniel), a hitch lock and sensor lights as well as dummy cameras (things just don't work).

Chris

sleepygreg
04-03-2009, 01:24 AM
pmsl....savage dog = cocker spaniel........just like my savage dog = golden retriever.........annoyed by wanting you to play with many toys. seriously check out what the insurance companies require. It may not save your boat being stolen...but may mean you get your claim approved.

Greg

PinHead
04-03-2009, 05:00 AM
Dogs don't worry serious thieves..can open the gates and let them out..bait them...I know of one place..a factory...they had "professional" guard dogs in there...the thieves threw a bitch in season over the fence..the dogs did not care what the thieves took then.

I know of a couple of members here that leave their boats on the road..wheel clamps on...neither seems to have a problem with that.

levinge
04-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey Pinhead, my 2 dogs are girls and they are in the back half of my yard, but still will bark at anyone who tries to get in. They may not eat the intruder but to date they are 1 for 1.

Next door neighbour had a ute parked in front of his place and some lowlifes tried to knock it off. My girls went apeshit barking at 2am in the morning and when both my neighbour and I got up to check it out, they piss bolted off down the road. Needless to say, my girls got 2 big bones from the neighbour the next day and he doesn't mind how much they bark now. He knows their on guard for both houses...

I guess if you have as many things in place, then it slows them down or makes them think twice about trying in the first place. Alot of the thefts seem to be opportunistic and as you say, parking their boats on the road. Thats just asking for trouble to happen.

Another measure you can take is to do a spot weld on the bolts attaching your tow hitch to the trailer, at least then they can't take it off and replace it to get past the trailer locks. Again takes time and these a'holes want a quick theft, not into mucking around, more chances to get caught...

PADDLES
04-03-2009, 08:08 AM
yep, just make it a little bit difficult for them so they give up and move on. if they really want it they'll take it anyway. make sure you have got the best insurance you can afford and then sleep easy

DR
04-03-2009, 08:20 AM
a hitch helmet &, depending on how often you use the boat, remove 1 or both wheels. For the few mins it takes it's an extra deterrent.

goat boy
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
My boat lives outside sometimes depending on where I am. Has a trailer lock and a wheel clamp on it (can pick the 2 up from Supercheap for around $100 total). Insurance was happy with this when I told them the setup. for peace of mind I also run a chain and padlock through the trailer and around a carport post.
As you already mentioned, keep everything that doesn't need to be in there locked up somewhere else. If someone really wants to steal it, they're gonna do it, hopefully though these three things are deterrent enough for their lazy a$$es, and having nothing loose inside stops the oppurtunistic losers.

Flex
04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I think the biggest thing is checking with your insurance company. I had 2 chains with a super heavy duty lock around each wheel/trailer fram then onto a post. But the insurance company doesn't recognize it as a deterrent....

I had to buy a $20 trailer hitch lock with the pissiest little lock on it before its recognized as "secured" by the insurance mob.

bigjimg
04-03-2009, 06:42 PM
You can also rig up a sensor to a bell ,the loud type,that you can turn on or off with a standard switch.It will scare the bejesus out of anyone getting too close.It is what is going on my new boat port along with two big spotties.Am also getting wheel clamps.Jim

Fishbait
04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Put a gaurd dog sign on your fence if your not getting a new dog, cover your boat with tarp, sensor lights on side of house, locks on fence gates and to your trailer hitch, plus what everyone else has said about wheel locks and insurance. That'll be a good start anyway for protection. Good luck.

PinHead
04-03-2009, 07:37 PM
move to a safer area

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Couple of King browns inside and a rottie or two outside... ;)

Greg P
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Couple of King browns inside and a rottie or two outside... ;)

One of these !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7tmP9jpJwM

levinge
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
bugger it, might just go down to the Agricultural store tomorrow and purchase me an Electric Fence setup. Should take care of:

Postie
That annoying junkmail delivery boy
Jehovus witnesses
Neighbours dog that pisses on my fence
Red cross door knockers

oh, and anyone who doesn't know about it!!!!

No signage needed, just bury the bodies in the vege patch.....:-)

Greg P
04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Made ya jump :P;D;D;D

cormorant
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM
You can buy a cover clip that will set off an alarm if any of the wired clips are undone. Pressure mats as well if you want to go fancy.Believe they are just a magnet alarm switch like any alarm sensor with the magnet in teh tarp clip. There are cable ones as well and you could just hav eit attached to teh battery or a spapre battery with a couple of piezo alrams r screamers and a strobe. Very easy , no electronlic boarda , no delay and only you know where the clips with teh switch is and to dissarm you just undo a couple that not wired or just place a magnet on them till you turn it off. Doesn't get left on oat so doesn't cop corrosion issues.

Well that will scare them off but you still have to identify the scum.

You can buy battery operated infared camera with built in SD card and movement sensor. Takes a photo or 5 frames or a minute before and after everytime movemnet is sensed. No noise and only twice the size od a ciggarett pack. They use them as animal survey and hunting cameras and c ouncils use them at illegal rubbish dumps sites in loaca streets etc etc.

Lets just say I know who was near my property and when and they won't be coming back as I have the photos of them trespassing. Amazing who has a perv around the sid eof your shed when you aren't around from posty to meter readers and just unknowns

What the F....... is wrong with people don't they get that it is my property and my place and to stay out

You still have to make it obvious it is not a easy target with a hitch and wheel lock.

doesn't hurt to mark all your equipment with your boat rego engraved so if it is recovered it can be identified.

levinge
04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Love ya work mate..is a good idea about engraving!!