PDA

View Full Version : a cut in a tinny

mostarac
03-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Hello,

could someone tell me please how difficult it is to repair a tinny cut, approx half meter long and what could be done?

Alsom if I take it to a aluminium welder, does anyone know approximate price they charge?

Thanks

Blackened
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
G'day

How about a pic and your location? Did someone get a bit grinder happy, someone after payback or did you find something at high speed?

Dave

mostarac
03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Location is Brisbane. A picture of the cut is displayed below:

http://users.tpg.com.au/jasenkos/cut.jpg

Krashtackle
03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Holy crap..What did you hit??

danny412
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Looks like one pissed off saw fish!, or maybe someone cant drive to well??

Xahn1960
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Thats a cut ??? Hate to see what you'd call a major impact !!!! :) :)

Damned67
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Ouch!
Ally Craft is on the coast, maybe send them a pic and ask what might be done to fix it.
You could be looking at a new hull for the cost to repair that.

FNQCairns
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Shoot that's a tear! To my mind it needs to be cut out and replacement bent and fabricated then welded in, ground and sanded, bogged then resprayed. the outside could end up looking like near new, inside will have tell tails.

Still a rough job and lots of weld, bog n panel beating might work also.

What is the scrap value of the aluminium only??? when it is all said and done it may be more satisfying/financially worthwhile transferring all boat bits to a new/another hull.

cheers fnq

Sea-Dog
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Looks like it was side-swiped by a Kenworth. :'(

mostarac
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the input peoples.

I have nothing to do with the incident. :D

I am considering purchasing this thing and was wondering how much it would cost me to get it out on the water again.
Basically, looking at how much I should offer for it so that its worthwhile fixing it.

Or would you's not bother with it?

Its a 475 BOW Rider, 2001 with a 75 mercury

Dan5
03-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the input peoples.

I have nothing to do with the incident. :D

I am considering purchasing this thing and was wondering how much it would cost me to get it out on the water again.
Basically, looking at how much I should offer for it so that its worthwhile fixing it.

Or would you's not bother with it?

Its a 475 BOW Rider, 2001 with a 75 mercury

Mate looking at that from a boilermaker's point of view..........there's alot of manhours there and it's going to border on scrapping........In saying that yes it could be repaired and made structually sound but at what cost ?.......Hmmm more detailed photo's would be better...........Rough guess.........15-18 hrs @ roughly $85+ hr........and material........2.4x1.2 3mm sheet of ally = bout $300 ish and a few more bit's and pieces........i dare say you would see any change from $3000.......and then it has to be painted.........and i doubt anyone would like to offer any type of warranty.

Poodroo
03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I took my old tinny to a manufacturer called Seaprowler Boats at Yatala. They are located just past the well known Gem Bait and Tackle and they are on the right hand side of the road. They do a great repair (in fact he had just finished a tinny like yours with a huge split in it). I had a fair bit of welding done to mine to strengthen the front end and all it cost me was $100 including two solid pieces of plate welded in to stop some flexing.

Poodroo

Angla
04-03-2009, 12:16 AM
I took my old tinny to a manufacturer called Seaprowler Boats at Yatala. They are located just past the well known Gem Bait and Tackle and they are on the right hand side of the road. They do a great repair (in fact he had just finished a tinny like yours with a huge split in it). I had a fair bit of welding done to mine to strengthen the front end and all it cost me was $100 including two solid pieces of plate welded in to stop some flexing.

Poodroo

I would be taking a photo of the damage to this Guy and let him give you a figure. In the end it would probably still be a roughie as far as a boat goes but the motor sounds like a ripper. Is the motor damaged in any way?

I would probably pass up this opportunity unless you wanted a roughie for scratching up in the mangroves or amongst dead trees in the dams

Chris

BaitThrower
04-03-2009, 06:31 PM
If that is the damage it took to the boat, imagine the jolt and jarring to the outboard (assuming it was on the hull at the time) and any stresses to all the other welds on the boat as a result. I'd be stearing clear of it myself. Too much chance it could cost you much more in the long run.

Sea-Dog
04-03-2009, 09:29 PM
I think you may have problems getting any sort of insurance on a "written off" hull like that.

Not worth the risk

Future coke cans methinks......

stevej
05-03-2009, 06:45 AM
poodroo at you got for 100 didnt even cover time let alone materials, so a good deal for you

this boat is a right off, a impact that big would hav distorted and stressed the hull in alot of places that cant be seen

i would rephrash "a cut" to mighty big hole

Noelm
05-03-2009, 08:20 AM
more likely best to give the whole thing a miss, BUT, if it was to be repaired, I would reckon best bet would be to contact the manufacturers and see if they can supply a new side, then cut the new bit to length to cover the damaged section, cut out the old section, panel beat the internal ribs and/or replace as necessary, weld in new side section, grind off welds to look as neat as possible, and you would end up with a bodgey repaired Boat that MAY be still OK.

peterbo3
05-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I would be passing on that one. The major impact which caused that damage could well have distorted the entire hull. Whilst anything can be repaired, the cost will often outweigh the benefit. Plenty more boats out there without "cuts".;D;D;D;D

The-easyrider
05-03-2009, 01:40 PM
That would be dead easy to fix, first buy it for less than motor value then you will need to remove motor, and then go to allycraft and buy a complete new hull and refit motor then take old hull to scrap yard, all fixed

foxx510
05-03-2009, 04:51 PM
That'l buff right out.

black runner
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Selleys Knead-It! , about 750 tubes should do it, but might list to starboard slightly.

Krashtackle
06-03-2009, 09:59 AM
That'l buff right out.

LMAO ;D ;D ;D