PDA

View Full Version : Honda 130hp max rpm

Coontakinta
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a friend with a 130hp Honda mounted to the stern of his 540C Northbank. By all accounts its a great motor albeit with a hefty weight penalty. He had no end of problems with his set up in regard to hole shot and in the end against my advice (gained from posts here and in other forums) he opted to fit a fin to the motor which has alleviated the problem and he reports much better response from the beast now.

In discussing my own experiences with re-propping my TLDI and the effect of pitch on ones rpm, we got to discussing his max rpm and to my surprise he told me he is only getting 4500rpm @ WOT. I was shocked, because I did not believe that this fiqure could be right and definately not within the manufacturers specifiactions. He's happy with it because he is getting around 40mph at full tilt, but I have read here before that over propping (I'm assuming this is what he is experiencing) is detrimental to the overall health of your outboard. Is this right?

I am trying to get the pitch of the prop from him for your (AUSFISH members) advice on the subject so hope to have that soon. Obviously, the 130 is no longer available and the only specs I could find were for the 135 which has a max rpm of 5000 - 6000rpm, well over what my friend is achieving.

finding_time
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Mate Garry( spaniardking) is your man for spot on advice, but he should be getting 6000 rpm if not he's stuffing his engine and at only 4500 he's doing it quickly!

ian

Ps the boat should fly with the 130 , with the right prop he will say by by to the foil!

Coontakinta
03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks FT, thought from past posts that Spaniard king was the man. Thought about sending a PM, but guess this sorta stuff is what we look for in the forums so thought it best to share

FNQCairns
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
They are a the big bore 130hp I think, dunno, probably the only reason it planes at all, poor engine, trying to evaporate aluminium and over expand valve seats etc he needs and egt guage:) anyway hope you get him sorted, even a 1k prop would be a bargain to fix it IMO.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Coonta,

your mate needs to be getting 5600rpm minimum preferably 6000rpm

From seeing quite a few rigs like your mates he should be runing a vengeance 13 1/8 x 16 prop.

trilogy
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi
The manual states that the full throttle range is 5000-6000 rpm I get 5800 rpm on a 599 polycraft.
I have the manual as a PDF,If you pm me I will send a copy.

levinge
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Gary I am running a Solas SS Titan HR 14 x 3/4 x 18 on my Honda BF135, this prop is normally rated for the 200HP rig but best option at setup was for this prop (left the propping up to my boat guy).

To date I have not had a drama, great hole shot, no fins and sits nice around the 5800rpm mark (mind you I haven't pushed hard yet).

Coontakinta
04-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks Gary

I'll let him know to start searching. Besides another Vengeance, is there any other prop worth considering in your experience?

I had him send me the details of the current prop last night after I'd logged off but silly me forgot to bring in my mobile to work so I dont have the numbers to check the size he is currently running. However, I do recall that its an 18" Pitch Vengeanace.

Malcolm W
04-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Just a quick question, is it possible that these rev counters are not accurate? Mine is one of those generic types from a boat shop and looks a bit cheap. Not sure if I totaly trust it.

death_ship
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
i got the vengeance garry recommended on my 580 breeze with honda 130, it all works well, RPM is sweet, only a couple hundred buckson ebay in the states and hole shot is great, big improvement on the ally one that i inherited