PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Cape on "Alexander"

dayoo
03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
With good weather predicted for Sunday and Monday we headed up to Bundy early Sunday morning on "Alexander" to try out some marks between Sandy Cape and Lady Elliot Island. Got to the ramp about 1pm and headed out with five on board including Goran and Stef a former Bundy boy who loves his occasional trip offshore.

The seas were flat as we cruised at 35knots but it didn't take too long for Pepi the skipper to push both levers forward and open up the weapon for a burst at over 50 knots. My arms are sore from hanging on. :(

We checked out some marks and started to pull in Hussar (35 to 45cm), Moses perch to 45cm, a couple of decent parrot and a large Slate Bream which gave me a good workout. By 7pm we had our limit of Hussar and filled up one of the 85 litre eskys so we headed back in to Bundy.

A few hours sleep at Stef's parents place revitalised us for a 8am launch Monday morning. We were keen to look for new marks just inside the shelf and as the seas were again smooth we didn't take too long to reach the targeted areas.

There were plenty shows on the sounder but all we could hook were grinners, remoras and sharks. Gorans Wilson Live Fibre rod pumped up the large shark in the attached pic and as soon as the pic was taken the shark dived and busted him off (Goran left arm was dead and he needed about an hour for it to recover).
This shark and his mates accounted for a few good fish.

By 1pm we had enough and headed in to a nannygai mark on which the boys baged out last June. This mark was also alive with remoras (they must have thought that the boat was a whale):P but we managed a good feed of small mouth nannygai to 3kg and a few grassy sweetlip. We also hooked many Hussar but as we had bagged out on them the previous day they were released.

The south easterly got up late afternoon so we pulled anchor about 5pm for an early return. Next trip back to this area will be in June/ August.

The trip was pleasant with a good feed of fish for all on board. Attached are some pics taken on the trip.

Cheers
Barry

seapup
03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Nice red colour in there bazza!

snapperbasher
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
those bloody remoras can be a pain up there sometimes can hardly get a bait through them. good fishing guys!

Dean1
03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah it was unreal how glassy it was up there on sunday Barry, hard to anchor up on anything properly with no run. We only got the 1 Moses the grassies we got were all around 3-4kg and Moari's around 4-5kg and some nice parrot. Franks Spangled went 6.2kg and hussar were thick but came through in waves. Wish I got a pic of the 3.5m shark I pulled in on my new deckwinch I couldnt believe how easy those winches make it. The Bronzy Shark I told you about is still in my head too, it was a good 5 metres long and eyeballed me intensly as it it came up to check us out, wont forget that. Gave me a fright!! You guys got a good haul, im sunburnt and tired it was a hard day sunday. Cheers.

skipalong
03-03-2009, 05:19 PM
nice haul mate great pics

justin

gpspathy
04-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi Barry,
Was a cracker trip. Can't wait to do it again, maybe from Tin Can this time.

Cheers
Goran

lethal098
05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
well done barry looks like a great trip. that boat still looks like a weapon every time i see it. we are up that way weekend after this and cant wait. cheers Lee

Spot82
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Nice work barry some good scarlets there! Be good to see them come back into the bay again, didn't get one last trip :( They are good chewing thats for sure!

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the report Barry.

We'll catch up soon.

Phill

vertico
07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
is this new ground for the alexander or has the boat been out between lady elliot and fraser before ?
thanks
sean

Vindicator
07-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice fish there Barry. Geez at 50 knots your feet would have been hardly touching the deck. Bugger the rods, you'd need a lanyard on yourself! Well done.

Cheers
Kezza

dayoo
07-03-2009, 12:15 PM
is this new ground for the alexander or has the boat been out between lady elliot and fraser before ?
thanks
sean

The boys took the weapon up there last june and bagged out on nannys in close. First time between lady elliot and fraser.

Cheers
Barry

dayoo
07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Nice fish there Barry. Geez at 50 knots your feet would have been hardly touching the deck. Bugger the rods, you'd need a lanyard on yourself! Well done.

Cheers
Kezza

Kezza,
At 50 knots I can't stand up even hanging on. Tried it once and my feet and legs were flapping horizontal:o . I now sit on the padded esky up the back near the motors and hang on to the supports that hold up the cutting board.

Cheers
Barry

Fishbait
10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I love those reports from "Alexander". You blokes sure know how to catch'em!

levinge
12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Top effort there guys, good report, those sharks definitely can give you a work out.