PDA

View Full Version : Snapper racks

juju
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok we all know those down south have their strange ways,but im thinking of trying out these stainless fandangled victorian snapper racks...seems a requirement down there that every boat has one(based on tv shows and boats for sale from down that way)....i can see some good points to them , what i want to know is why do they use them and we dont?...and where in brisbane could one lay hands on a pair...

Noelm
03-03-2009, 02:50 PM
personaly I reckon they are crap, who wants your baitboard up at eye level? (almost) plus they are right in the middle of the boat stern, one of the main reasons they use them is to have several rods set at a time for silly things like Gummy Sharks and Elephant fish, things that any self respecting Northerner would not be caught dead catching.

Coontakinta
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Juju, as a southerner (crow eater) my preference is for the Left / right hand side triple racks that sit in the aft rod holders as opposed to the Victorian type that reach around the entire stern. My preference for them is two fold. Firstly as Noelm suggests its a convenience thing for being able to fish a number of rods effectively and secondly, I'm not big on having the rods high in the air.

Now there is a couple of reasons for the later. One, remember this is just my reasoning and not neccessarily the only reason, I like the idea of the line not having to come off the reel and then at an angle from the rod to the fish and secondly keeping the line low to the water helps keep it away from wind and birds.

Again, not neccessarily the only reason for them but just my preference for them.

juju
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Juju, as a southerner (crow eater) my preference is for the Left / right hand side triple racks that sit in the aft rod holders as opposed to the Victorian type that reach around the entire stern. My preference for them is two fold. Firstly as Noelm suggests its a convenience thing for being able to fish a number of rods effectively and secondly, I'm not big on having the rods high in the air.

Now there is a couple of reasons for the later. One, remember this is just my reasoning and not neccessarily the only reason, I like the idea of the line not having to come off the reel and then at an angle from the rod to the fish and secondly keeping the line low to the water helps keep it away from wind and birds.

Again, not neccessarily the only reason for them but just my preference for them.
Its was the left right ones i was talking about (havent seen them right across the back...no wouldnt want that...and it was the wind effect bit that what i was thinking about....so its left/right im asking about...

tunaticer
03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Supposed to be less resistance on the line to drag out without bending the rod tip as much. Plus they are a quickset rod holder in that you can immediately strike rather than removing the rod then striking.

Bad points is in a rock'n rolly sea your rod tips can dip in the water and release the rod from the holder. Security is a realistic vulnerability in our sloppy bay late afternoons.

John Buoy
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I think your bay slop and ours are pretty similar...

Now if you can work out another way of holding
6 rods without any interference or crossovers and with no
rod drag please let me know ;D

Noel your theory is a bit tuff on us Vics
Mate we are deprived of the fishery you guys have up there
and snapper gummies and whiting along with the bluefin
is all we have.
Oh and Big freezes;D

Horses for couses I to dont agree on the baitboards sitting up high
but if your like me and like to check out your motor trim heights visually
then a bait board sitting low is a problem.

I use the three way port and starboard holders and set em up so the rods
sit just above the horizontal line.
The wire type holders are heaps quicker for release than tube types.
These are great if your fishin at anchor ;)

Regards frank

finding_time
03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
they use them is to have several rods set at a time for silly things like Gummy Sharks and Elephant fish, things that any self respecting Northerner would not be caught dead catching.

Sthop the busth!!!, What would Jason Kennedy catch if it were not for Gummies and elephant fish!!!::) ;D

Ian

Ps. john at least you have cray's!;)

Kleyny
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
What are they?

What do they look like?

neil

juju
03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/07/5b/cf16_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FISHING-ROD-HOLDERS-SNAPPER-RACKS-PAIR-OF-TRIPLES-3-WAY_W0QQitemZ280317031468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Acc essories_Tackle?hash=item280317031468&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A975%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C2 40%3A1318#ebayphotohosting)http://i.ebayimg.com/07/!BN(Hvl!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmVoWOBJpM-oFk0w~~_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BERMUDA-FISHING-ROD-HOLDERS-3-WAY-SNAPPER-RACK-PAIR_W0QQitemZ280316099863QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Ac cessories_Tackle?hash=item280316099863&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A975%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C2 40%3A1318#ebayphotohosting)
I was thinking of the stainless ones over the plastice type......butthe welds could be a question....like to look at some...

Wear the fox hat
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
juju,
The stainless ones would be much stronger than the plastic ones. The plastic ones are quite flimsy & I wouldn't put a rod in one unless I was fishing for whiting. I should know, as I have the plastic ones.

Does anybody out there know where you can get the stainless ones in Qld???

WTFH

juju
05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
i was hoping i could track some down at the tinny show, cant find them for sale anywhere except the net