PDA

View Full Version : Best place to launch boat for upper Brisbane Bass?

mjc85
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
G'day all just wondering where is the best spot to launch a boat for bass fishing in the upper reaches of Brisbane river?

Maybe you can help Fitzy, where did you launch for this video?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4aLhdeN-x0

Cheers
Mitch

aussiebasser
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
That spot was on private property. The furthest up stream you can launch on public land is at twin bridges at Fernvale. Take the road that goes over the low lying bridge towards Wivenhoe Pocket. The ramp is just before the bridge. The river is quite shallow at that point.

mjc85
03-03-2009, 04:54 PM
So is there much water accessible from this launch point? The boat is a 4.1 poly.

Cheers
Mitch

aussiebasser
04-03-2009, 08:15 AM
You'll have about 4 kilometres of river to play with. It's fishing OK at the moment.

StevenM
04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
So is there much water accessible from this launch point? The boat is a 4.1 poly.

Cheers
Mitch

Till ya get to know the river I would not recomend any great speed.

Just ask Dale where all the stumps are;D

The 4.1 poly launching from twin bridges would be a bit of a struggle but possible, what car??

Shallow section about a k up then alright but as I said watch out for the stumps

Luc
04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I didn't think that there was a ramp at Twin Bridges!!

Last time I was there (several years), steps had been taken to stop people launching trailer boats. The only options were car topper, canoes & kayaks!!

This link http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/BrisBass.htm will give you some info.

Luc

mjc85
06-03-2009, 05:26 AM
What about Eastern side of Kholo bridge?

Fitzy
06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
What about Eastern side of Kholo bridge?

Downstream of Kholo to Mt Crosby Weir is a protected zone, no access by water or bank. $1000 on the spot fine if caught. :o

On the upstream side of kholo bridge is a gravel ramp which takes a turn at the bottom. You can back a boat in there with a 2x4 if you're ok at reversing. Be VERY careful if you go upstream, there's an old submerged bridge not far up that will take the leg off you motor, its just below the surface. Not far after that is the first rapids, you won't get a 4.1 poly up it, too heavy. A canoe or kayak you could drag up...

You commonly can't access the ramp at kholo bridge as there is alot of folks who just park a car on it, other set up a tent at the top of it. >:(

The article posted by Luc shows access points....

At all times, travel slowly, this river is mostly shallow with alot of rocks & snags. Experience in the form of about 20 full length canoe kayak trips down this river (takes 2 days) has been my teacher, you'd be well advised to start your learning of this river the same.

As Steven M described, you can wreck a boat/ motor real fast if not experienced, short cuts are tantamount to disaster.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Fitzy
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
I didn't think that there was a ramp at Twin Bridges!!

Last time I was there (several years), steps had been taken to stop people launching trailer boats. The only options were car topper, canoes & kayaks!!

This link http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/BrisBass.htm will give you some info.

Luc

Hi Luc,

The ramp has always been there. Its not concrete, it gravel but pretty good. Very shallow water out from it however so a 4x4 is probably best. Last time I luanched my tinnie there I back half way across the river to get any decent water depth.

The Esk (now Somerset( council specifically put the bollards to the side of the ramp so boats could continue to launch. They also removed a bollard at Savages to allow boat launching, pity that idiots park a car there or pitch a tent. Last time I went someones tent ropes got dropped so I could get to the water. Big sign there saying NO CAMPING was totally ignored. Makes you wonder sometimes.....

Cheers,

fitzy..

Luc
08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Fitzy, as I said, It's been a few years since I was there.

Have to agree with canoe trips. A great way to spend a couple of days.

Some people can't read and besides, such a nice flat cleared area and just walk straight into the water!!!!

Luc

flathead13
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I've got a 4.3 meter tinnie over those rapids at Kholo. It's tricky but you can do it. There's good fishing in that narrow bit but upstream is better. The launching area is similar to the lauunching area at Fernvale.

Cheers.