PDA

View Full Version : Great Day off the Capricorn Coast

grahams
02-03-2009, 11:27 AM
We went for an exploratory trip yesterday about 50nm north east of Yeppoon.
There were a lot of bottom fish around. Our plan was to find some new spots, have quick drop and move on. The fish mounted up a bit and I was a bit surprised at the numbers. We only ever did 1 drift over each spot so we took a maximum of about 5 fish off each. I'm not in favour of flogging spots, and it was good see such strong numbers on reefs that get very little pressure. We travelled across about 15nm of good ground.
Finished off coming home along the coast. Caught and released a few nice GT's and Queenies.
Perfect weather, great day!

Teachnthekids
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Thats a great bag of quality fish a pity you had to put up with such terrible conditions!!;D

Cheers Rob

Vindicator
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Thats a bloody nice haul of fish. And to only do one drift per spot, I bet you are keeping those marks safe.

Cheers
Kezza

blindwalrus
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Top effort, thats a quality haul of fish. Was this east of perforated and flat? Some good ground out that way.

Do you just drift the shows of fish in the ferny areas?

Benno1
02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
what a mixed bag...i see small and large mouth nannys and a few red emperors...dirty big cod...VERY NICE!!!...great looking boat what is she???...we've been wanting to fish out of Yepoon for a while now...this just makes me REALLY wanna go :P
cheers for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

jtpython
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Awesome stuff graham looks like you are doing well mate lot of red colour there.
Can you slip me one of them pionts as i'm heading widegrounds and wider if the weather permits this weekend.
You might be able to tell me Graham,
The bouys at Monkey Beach around the reef is a no anchor zone now is the beach the same as well??????
We were anchored on the sand and a guy approached us saying it was a no anchor zone but i thought i was right in anchoring on the sand as the ground off Big pin's and barren are reef am i right or wrong?
Thanks
JT

DAZMC1
02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi JT .
Clint said he was fishing next to you yesterday and wanted me to post his catch.

DAZMC1
02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Heres one of the Spano.26kg

jtpython
02-03-2009, 06:19 PM
HAHAHA Seem's Clint still like to tell a story LOL
H e was south of us and yes having 4 kids on a boat and a cranky wife yeah no i did great to catch 3 matty's a whiptail and a huge Bullrou followed by a black tip reef shark just to set it all off before we caught some nice fish but don't you go telling Clint and ruining his false sense of security
JT

DAZMC1
02-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Looks like you know him as well as me!

jtpython
02-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Nice Spano thou
See what this weekends brings don't have to take the wife and kids out
JT

DAZMC1
02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I,ll try and get out one night through the week.

skipalong
02-03-2009, 07:08 PM
that is an awesome haul mate complete deck of red niiiiice

justin..

grahams
02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Guys,
I'll try and answer the questions.

We were fishing a long way north east of perforated.
I didn't anchor because I didn't want to rip into any of the spots. It can be hard to anchor accurately and takes a lot of time each way.
I like drifting, starting right on top of a good looking spot, only problem can be that the fish come with you on drift, go back to the mark and they're gone! If the spot is no good I waste 5 mins not half an hour.
We have 2 11m Voyager powercats that do charter fishing and bareboating, and occasionally a private trip like yesterday. The fish were mainly largemouth nannygai,no smallmouth, surprisingly few red emperor. Not a lot of variety

JT send me an email I can give you a starter, way up north is a bit challenging it's not always on the go, its affected by current and its bloody scary if you breakdown
JT you a right . They are REEF protection markers. The bit of beach behind the reef at Monkey is Ok to access, it was difficult to put another marker in there as it would dry and be a hazard itself.

cheers,
graham

jtpython
02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks graham
Were you at Monkey Yesterday too see one of your boats there?

jarhead
03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Gotta love the colour red, awesome stuff Graham. Off with a few mates from work on a three day charter out of Gladstone in a little over a week, hope to get a few reds too.

Cheers Wal

grahams
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
JT,
We weren't at Monkey Beach on Sunday. There is 1 other Voyager in the Marina now, maybe that one?
Wal,
Best of luck, the weather is a bit of a worry this time of year but the fishing's pretty good!

Redfisher
03-03-2009, 09:45 PM
grahams when u say way north east of perferated is that right up east of townshend island. i have dont a bit of fishing out that way from shoalwater and have done really well with the red jew also.

redfisher

grahams
04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Redfisher,
Pretty much a long way east of about Island Head Creek to Townsend. There is stacks of country up that way, but it can be a bit "unusual". I lost a lot of spots to the inshore green zone off Island Head Creek, but it still leaves plenty of opportunites, just can't fish west of 151 East