PDA

View Full Version : Gladstone- Cape Capricorn

barra_cuda81
01-03-2009, 08:07 PM
With forecast looking like variable winds for Sunday, couldn't miss the opportunity to take my 15ft tinny up the outside of Curtis Island to Rundle/Cape Cap for the first time. Was a dream run up the coast and at first drift mark by sun up and was straight into grunter around 700mm (kept 3) and then by 1/2 morning we had pulled up 7 big fingermark, best going 800mm as well as over a dozen bludger trevally (3-4kg)- all of these fish succumbed to soft plastics. Explored in close to the cliffs of Cape Cap and my deckie got his pencil popper nailed by a big GT . After a fight of over 1/2 an hour his 20lb braid and 5-8kg soft plastic rod just weren't up to the task of a fish that, by the look of it when it inhaled the popper would go an easy 20kg, ended up running him over a reef ledge. Went for a troll around Rundle with some big dead baits but no big spanish were interested. All in all a good day and some new territory explored.

Sorry didn't attach any pics but we were paid an unexpected visit by the QLD Fishing Monthly writer for the gladstone region- Bob Brandis, and he was taking a few snaps of us when we had a double hook up on the fingermark. - keep an eye out for it in the mag hopefully.;D

Funny thing was that our plastics were outfishing his bait:P

the lobster
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Nice work Thommo. Sounds like a pretty sweet trip. Unlucky on the spaniards. You'll have to smash a few next time.

matt

nautical prince
03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like you had a ball mate we fished hard out wide with mixed results my boat baged out Brens boat got 30 witha few quality fish but a lot of miles and ground for the catch