PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Sunny Spaniards

BLOOEY
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
G'day,Had a plan today to try my hand at trolling dead baits for spaniards again. Have had miserable luck in the past with this technique but after seeing the reports of other ausfishers i thought i would give it another crack.

Actually the plan started yesterday when i got a couple of 40cm tailor off the rocks down the coast. Rigged one up that night and had him on ice in the esky ready for an early morning swim up the sunshine coast.

Heaps of bait and tuna everywhere which distracted me for quite awhile. But most of the tuna were maccys and the longys i did see were moving fast and proving very hard to get near due to the hull bashing over the slop.

Found a spot with heaps of bait and deployed the biggest dead bait i've ever used. Trolled for approximately 5mins before my reel started screaming on a good spanish. Sunk the gaff in and i was happy as larry.

My mate busyed himself with a bit of tuna chasing as i rigged up the only other tailor i had . Righto back to the same spot and travelled about 100m before being crunched again and a few minutes later another spano in the boat.

I think my spanish hoodoo has finally gone. They seem to love the tailor as i had 2 hardbodys out at the same time and they diddnt get a hit. Lovin summer. Ben

frankgrimes
01-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Awesome work mate - Tailor seem to be producing as deadies tolled!

Mick

skipalong
01-03-2009, 06:46 PM
awesome work mate rewarded well with 2 quality fish

justin

BLOOEY
01-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Ta guys. Justin it was your'e reports that inspired me to give it another crack, so thanks very much. STOKED. Ben

wombie
01-03-2009, 06:59 PM
well done Ben nice fish

cheers Paul

skipalong
01-03-2009, 07:03 PM
thats awesome ben did you end up where i have been fishing, or further south?

justin

Schuey
01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Nice going Blooey. That sure is a big bait in the photo, but it seems that's how the spanish are liking it. Good on you for keep giving it a crack.

reel scream
01-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Well done Ben- may they keep coming in thick and fast.

Cheers Scott

Pistol_P
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Onya Ben.....Good when a plan works.8-)

But....I am over summer....to windy and hot.:P

Pete

jtpython
01-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice mate them rigs are the go
JT

JayT
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Well done son,
Thats the go mate, big dead tailor chin rigged an if you can get em swimming right your laughin:):):)
Cheers Thorpy

tenzing
01-03-2009, 09:34 PM
good effort Ben . Well done
Cheers, Brendan

yanjarra
02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
id be stoked to catch the bait, wats the thoery on sticking him with a lure around the chin?

frankgrimes
02-03-2009, 06:34 AM
id be stoked to catch the bait, wats the thoery on sticking him with a lure around the chin?

Helps them swim straight/stops them spinning....certainly an art to getting it right!

Mick

BLOOEY
02-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Further south justin.Shuey i had a striped tuna about 3kilos bitten in half last weekend(now that is a big bait). It is a little bit fiddly getting them to swim properly but definately worth the effort. Now to track down some more choppers. Ben

skipalong
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
hey ben

i dont have that problem those trips to fraser paid off i have about another 80 tailor frozen in my freezer for just that, thought you must have been further south it was to calm in the shots, where i was it was blowing its arse off wrong forecast once again.

should catch up for a fish ben

cheers justin

Lovey80
02-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Very nice work mate, what was your average troll speed when you picked them up. I always think I am going too fast when i hit around 4 -6 knots is this too fast for trolling dead baits?

Cheers

Chris

GPB
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Very nice work mate, what was your average troll speed when you picked them up. I always think I am going too fast when i hit around 4 -6 knots is this too fast for trolling dead baits?

Cheers

Chris

2-3knots is heaps for big baits, just make shore your baits arn't spinning before you lower them.

BLOOEY
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Always keen for a fish justin. Give me a hoy .Only new to it myself chris but GPB has got it i reckon. I was doing about 4kph. Ben