PDA

View Full Version : replacement 13"trailer tyres

nedoleboy
01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
gday.ive been searching for specific brands and types of tyres you use on your trailer. i wish to replace the (junk) duros on my trailer(dunbier). the boat is 4.3m 40hp.the general consensus is to use a light truck tyre.also should the wall of the tyre be of lesser ply to allow for flex.ie. absorb portion of rough ride.or should this be soley left for springs????any info much appreciated.ned.

finga
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Why is it everyone uses light truck tyres on something that weighs 600??kg all up?
Just a question nobody asks.

Oh Gee
01-03-2009, 07:44 PM
My thoughts on the matter:
Single axle under a ton, use whatever standard car tyre you like. Cheep or Dear it's up to you.
Over a ton you should start looking at a tandom set up and then go to somthing like a small truck tyre only because of the stronger sidewall to handle the extra scrubbing they will have to handle.
But this is only my opinion. Personaly the last tyre i bought was a 13in, 2/3s used,second hand one, cost me $20. Fitted. Bargin.

ozbee
02-03-2009, 11:38 AM
truck tires with very little weight on can not disperse heat build up as much as a light redial so you will be worse off . come back when you have a ton hanging off each wheel.

Roo
02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Why is it everyone uses light truck tyres on something that weighs 600??kg all up?
Just a question nobody asks.

My thoughts on the matter:
Single axle under a ton, use whatever standard car tyre you like. Cheep or Dear it's up to you.
Over a ton you should start looking at a tandom set up and then go to somthing like a small truck tyre only because of the stronger sidewall to handle the extra scrubbing they will have to handle.
But this is only my opinion. Personaly the last tyre i bought was a 13in, 2/3s used,second hand one, cost me $20. Fitted. Bargin.

truck tires with very little weight on can not disperse heat build up as much as a light redial so you will be worse off . come back when you have a ton hanging off each wheel.

I went looking for tyres for my Trailer (800kg on road) recently and every tyre retailer recommended a light truck tyre. the original tyres were not, they are a basic car tyre(nankang 165/75 R13) and although they technically complied with the load rating required(only just) they were not 8ply as listed on the tyre placard on the trailer. The flex in the sidewalls is excessive and not really what they are supposed to do, it tends to bounce along a bit. I have been recommenced a suitable replacement (http://www.goodyearautocare.com.au/TyreDetailAction.do?website=GAC&websegmentcode=LIGHT%20COMMERCIAL&mtpcode=00507&from=3PerPage) by another AF user. Best bet is to talk to a tyre store you trust and go from there.

Cheers Roo.

nedoleboy
02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
thankyou for your comments.i went with roos "suitable replacement"(goodyear wrangler DT) after ringing around quoting the original tyre size of ST175/80D13 was told by tyre shops it was a light truck tyre. because i had a spare last time i bought 1 duro from the boat shop for $110.these things wore out pretty quickly ie 2 1/2 years for each set.so hopefully the new wranglers ,$117@, will last a bit longer.ned.

alcam2001
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Light truck tyre of 13inch, load limit typically is 750kg (1.5T on a single axle) - so with a safety margin, if the total boat/trailer/loaded weight is over 1 ton (up to 1.2ton) then light truck seems the way to go. Also it *should* handle the sideways, pothole, ramp-bottom-pinch issues better. My non-light truck second hand radials used to start tread separation after a thousand km's and a few dozen ramp trips or so.