PDA

View Full Version : Goldie spotties + stripies

frankgrimes
28-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Headed out early this morn of goldie, spotties were thick on dawn, then dissapeared shortly after....only landed 1 @ ~85cm(Dropped 3!!), then trolled HB's for a couple of hours...striped tuna everywhere, landed ~6.

Conditions MAGIC!! Would loved to have stayed out for high tide, but had other priorities.

I'll post pics soon...gotta get them off phone.

Mick

Mad-One
28-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Where were you? Atleast you got something to eat

Phil

frankgrimes
28-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Pic...from phone, so quality pretty poor :)

frankgrimes
28-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Where were you? Atleast you got something to eat

Phil

Nth of Seaway Phil

Mick

hooknose
28-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Onya Grimesy, good to see your still gettin amongst em !!!

frankgrimes
28-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Onya Grimesy, good to see your still gettin amongst em !!!

hehe...only barely mate...got an 11month old son, who leaves me VERY little free time!

Mick

RAT-KING
28-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Well done 6 tuna and a maccy in a sesh is a great effort!!
Cheers Simon

BLOOEY
28-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Good stuff mick. The stripeys go hard for their size,heaps of fun. Did they eat the hardbodys, what type? Ben

frankgrimes
28-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Good stuff mick. The stripeys go hard for their size,heaps of fun. Did they eat the hardbodys, what type? Ben

Hey Ben - Yep, def. fun!

Was running 2 x-raps - Magnum 20(Deep Diver), and a smaller one - Smaller x-rap was def. the favourite.

Mick

Jackinthebox
28-02-2009, 03:56 PM
nice one mate - that would be the x15 wouldn't it? 8-)

dreemon
28-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Thats sounds like ya had agreat time, I'll be waggin work "Again" to head out on monday ...... cause seabeaze says, what do ya recon a good time to be at the ramp is? ( I have lights) , was thinking going to mermaid ?

I would really like to bring the wife and kids a good fish home, any tips? cheers

frankgrimes
28-02-2009, 05:31 PM
nice one mate - that would be the x15 wouldn't it? 8-)

Thanks Mick - Nah, pretty sure its the x12(Don't have the pack anymore, but it's 120mm long)

Mick

frankgrimes
28-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Thats sounds like ya had agreat time, I'll be waggin work "Again" to head out on monday ...... cause seabeaze says, what do ya recon a good time to be at the ramp is? ( I have lights) , was thinking going to mermaid ?

I would really like to bring the wife and kids a good fish home, any tips? cheers

Mate Id leave spit ramp @ 4:30(Def. still dark)....try and get to Mermaid while the tide's still turning/before day break

skipalong
28-02-2009, 07:48 PM
nice spottie mick, no signs of spaniards, with stripies like that they wont be gar away, top effort

cheers justin

rakinray
28-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice fish Mick, hope you didnt get them to much nth of the Seaway mate ! Most of that area running along S/Straddie turns Grrreeen tomorrow >:( I have caught some of my best spotties in the Couran area ;D I went to the Save Our Bay Rally and BBQ (did you guys know it was on ?) There are alot of Offshore areas going Green Too ! Did the spotties like baits or lures ?

Cheers Ray .

catfish55
28-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Pic...from phone, so quality pretty poor :)
good stuff mate ,
now excuse my ignorence but the top one is a watermelon tuna i take. do you eat them or use it for bait?????
is the other one a mack tuna?????
pat

sleepygreg
01-03-2009, 01:14 AM
watermelon tuna???? never heard of that one before...please explain?

Greg

sleepygreg
01-03-2009, 01:16 AM
It looks an aweful lot like a striped tuna to me.

frankgrimes
01-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Nice fish Mick, hope you didnt get them to much nth of the Seaway mate ! Most of that area running along S/Straddie turns Grrreeen tomorrow >:( I have caught some of my best spotties in the Couran area ;D I went to the Save Our Bay Rally and BBQ (did you guys know it was on ?) There are alot of Offshore areas going Green Too ! Did the spotties like baits or lures ?

Cheers Ray .

Hey Ray - yep, def a damn shame about Couran mate...had intentions of hitting it this morning, as I though it was Mond. it was a green zone.....there's still a pocket close into shore that's not green...for the beach fishos I guess(Depends how keen you are I guess!).

Nah, didn't know the bbq was on(Would have def. gone for a can or two!)

Spotties - Half Pillies and slugs(15 + 25gm)

Mick

frankgrimes
01-03-2009, 07:04 AM
good stuff mate ,
now excuse my ignorence but the top one is a watermelon tuna i take. do you eat them or use it for bait?????
is the other one a mack tuna?????
pat

Never heard of a watermelon tuna? Nah, both striped....kept for strip bait(Was going to try a bit on the barbie as I've never eaten it before, maybe after a couple of cans this arvo when I'm feeling adventurous!)

Mick

frankgrimes
01-03-2009, 07:09 AM
nice spottie mick, no signs of spaniards, with stripies like that they wont be gar away, top effort

cheers justin

Hey Justin - Know of a couple taken(Same area) on hex heads....trolled at ~10knots

Mick

sleepygreg
01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
dont bother trying the stipies on the bbq Mick.....they make far better snapper bait........just salt em down well, then freeze em. We used to catch heaps of em when i was living in Sydney during summer, salt em down and stock the freezer for snapper bait during the winter.

I am now getting a feel for the SEQ scene, and this should be a very similar set of circumstances.
Greg

catfish55
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Never heard of a watermelon tuna? Nah, both striped....kept for strip bait(Was going to try a bit on the barbie as I've never eaten it before, maybe after a couple of cans this arvo when I'm feeling adventurous!)

Mick
yeah thanks , stripy's or watermelon depends what school you waged hehehe just keeping the filits for bait as they were very dark even though it was bled. but hey thanks....pat

RAT-KING
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey mick wat speed were u trolling the rapalas?

SteveCan
02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
How bout Sunday mate? did you get out and what was the result?

I paddled around PB reef for a couple of hours for no result and didn't see anything caught either..

rakinray
02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey Mick sorry to correct you but the Green Zone that takes up nearly half of S/Straddie goes all the way to the beach, and includes fishing from the shore >:( Not sure why no FISHING ! but i have heard that it has something to do with the turtle population needing some space ::) I say bring on the Borg ! and i am a Labour Voter no longer !

CHEERS RAY.

frankgrimes
03-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey mick wat speed were u trolling the rapalas?

6knts mate.

frankgrimes
03-03-2009, 07:49 AM
How bout Sunday mate? did you get out and what was the result?

I paddled around PB reef for a couple of hours for no result and didn't see anything caught either..

Sunday was no go for me Steve - Too much stuff to do around the house.

frankgrimes
03-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Hey Mick sorry to correct you but the Green Zone that takes up nearly half of S/Straddie goes all the way to the beach, and includes fishing from the shore >:( Not sure why no FISHING ! but i have heard that it has something to do with the turtle population needing some space ::) I say bring on the Borg ! and i am a Labour Voter no longer !

CHEERS RAY.

Hey Ray - Moreton Bay Marine User Guide, pg 37 HPZ14, has a 500m high water line that extends half way up SStraddie to nearly the pin...HP indicates Habitat protection Zone(Where fishing is permitted)...MNP32 is a no fish zone though.

Happy to be corrected though! :)

Mick

coucho
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM

Mick

Mate we got 6 stripies on the weekend kept one and smoked one fillet it tasted ok tryed a little on the bbq too and it tasted ok too! not as good as fresh mackrel but you won't spit it out.

SteveCan
04-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Hey Ray - Moreton Bay Marine User Guide, pg 37 HPZ14, has a 500m high water line that extends half way up SStraddie to nearly the pin...HP indicates Habitat protection Zone(Where fishing is permitted)...MNP32 is a no fish zone though.

Happy to be corrected though! :)

Mick

Hi Mick, I read that the same way - beach closed to fishing from Currigee to Couran (hope they put up signs..) and open for beach fishing north ot that.

I find it hard to see how a beach fishing closure could make a significant impact on conservation. I don't like fishing closures much at all, but I can see the need for them and am generally a supporter - however some of the green zone stuff is hard to understand..

Do I understand that if the NLP is elected they are going to roll-back the fishing closures?

sleepygreg
04-03-2009, 10:54 PM
It will be interesting to hear what the LNP have to say on this. We have our local candidate coming to our club meeting next tuesday night to speak to us on this very issue. Everyone is welcome to attend.

Greg