PDA

View Full Version : Old sportfish Hulls(plate)

Flex
26-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi all.

Just thought I'd get a few opinions on the Old 1990's 5.5-6m plate alloy sportfish boats? Anyone had any experience with these? i.e any idea on deadrise? handling and performance? corrosion issues?

I believe these were made by the same mob who now makes Noble boats?

So here's my current situation,

I'm in a lucky situation where I'm able to get a brand new Basic unpainted 6m plate alloy CC built, less materials(due to contacts i have in the aluminium industry:) but outboard/trailer price puts the overall cost around $5000 more than buying second hand.

I can get a 5.8m plate CC(top quality brisbane builder) built for a tad over $15000 unpainted no fitout. So my dilemma is which directions to go. $15,000 + $10k outboard+trailer at around $32k+ but I do score a new boat. but no extra's

or

Im looking at somthing like this. 6m CC sportfish

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6398577

or

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6716557

How do these old school sportfish boats handle in comparison to the new plate boats built these days? say in comparison to a Fisher/AMM/bluewater/riptide etc?

anyhow any info would be great thanks.

Greg P
26-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Flex

See the seamedia link below;

http://www.seamedia.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG132_prev.pdf

I had a 5.5m Pacific Sportfish built in 2001. Well built, good fit out but 18 degree deadrise. I repowered it with a DF140, fitted tabs etc and thought it was great ::)
I sold it to get the current boat - chalk and cheese

I did get good coin for it though and it sold really quickly.

Cheers

Greg

http://www.thehulltruth.com/members/sportfish-5-5-albums-sportfish-5-5-picture12265-a.jpg

Dantren
26-02-2009, 11:47 PM
There is no doubt the sportfish hull is quality.

Probably go through three motors before the hull needs attention.

greyfox
27-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Hi Flex. I used to be the proud owner of a 5.5 half cab Sportfish. Best boat I ever owned. I know a marine mechanic who fitted the engines, etc. at the original factory. He said the perfection that applied to finishing the hulls (even the stuff you can't see under the sealed floor) was the best he had seen. He blames the demise of the original company on poor financial management. I have heard Pacific were quick to buy them out because their hulls were poorly designed re broaching in big following seas (comment from a pro I know who bought one of their originals). I also know a pro who bought one of the Noble boats and insists it does not match the seaworthiness of the original Sportfih hulls. Again, these are only opinions people have expressed. Mine was adequately powered to handle the offshore conditions at FI with a 115 two stroke. The newer injected motors or four strokes would be better again I suspect. Best of luck with your purchase.

NAGG
27-02-2009, 07:44 AM
The original Sportfish hulls were highly regarded & considered to be just about the best for build quality in a plate boat. Demand was extremely high.
Resale values were great but few & far between on the second hand market.
I wanted to buy a 5M Center Console back in 1994 but there was an 8 month waiting period ....... unfortunately I was too impatient ::)

To this day I consider the 5.5 Center Cab the best boat I have fished out of under 6M

Chris

Jeremy
27-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I can get a 5.8m plate CC(top quality brisbane builder) built for a tad over $15000 unpainted no fitout. So my dilemma is which directions to go. $15,000 + $10k outboard+trailer at around $32k+ but I do score a new boat. but no extra's

I just think that you are underquoting here. I recently bought a new 4 stroke 60 for $8000. Surely a new outboard for a 5.8m plate boat will be alot more than $10k. Trailer ~$3k. Than the fitout with sounder, GPS, lights, rod holders, T-top, bait tank, bait board, ground tackle etc etc etc. Gunna be alot more than $32k surely?

Jeremy

Wahoo
27-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Flex, i would not know, but i would suspect it would be like this add

Daz

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/P2270133.jpg

turbostx
27-02-2009, 05:53 PM
G'day all, I have an early 1990's sportfish cuddy and still love it very much! In my opinion they are even now the best (toughest)looking boats around. Mine has already worn out a johnson two smoke(1ooohrs!) and now wears a nice silver honda. The hulls hold up very well over the years and if looked after they will last for many more. The only way i would sell mine would be to perhaps get a later model one like the 5.8 centre cab bullet proof series.Go the sportfish. Cheers Col.

ifishcq1
27-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi Flex

if you look at the Frazer island tournament adds that have been on for years there is a sportfish cc white hull with green ang yellow stripes going out from the lagoon in a fair break, that boat was a beauty as far as tinnys go

the one you are looking at probably needs a motor change so factor in that cost otherwise your fuel bill will be out of sight

they are up there with alot of the newer boats and do love bar work

Cheers

SL

Flex
28-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

So the consensus is the old school hulls still perform rather well?.

I think if I can find a hull with a newish outboard I'll grab it(hard to find though)
if not I will go the new Hull option as Im very very lucky in being able to get a new hull built cheap.

I just think that you are underquoting here. I recently bought a new 4 stroke 60 for $8000. Surely a new outboard for a 5.8m plate boat will be alot more than $10k. Trailer ~$3k. Than the fitout with sounder, GPS, lights, rod holders, T-top, bait tank, bait board, ground tackle etc etc etc. Gunna be alot more than $32k surely?

Jeremy

As I said earlier A family member of mine supplies alot of boat builders with aluminum and cut out work , so deduct that cost from a basic 5.8m centre console and I can pick a new unfitted-out hull rather cheap(ish)

I think 10k for a second hand 115-150hp motor is realistic. I have built 2 trailers before so that costs only $2-3k depending on brake setup and axles..(free steel!..lol)

Electrics+fitout can be added in myself and not need be done all at once to save on upfront costs.

Anyhow, like I said if a good second hand boat with a good motor It would be the easier option, but Finding a good basic Centre console plate boat is tough.

z50man
20-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Guys
if there is any more on these boats please let me know ...i have the opportunity to buy a Sportfish 5.0 ( with added pod ) old 1990 90hp johnno and trailer with brakes ...for around 5.5k , boat has had a few small repairs to the bottom of the hull ( square alloy patch's in about 3 or 4 places good job) its a center console .. what do you think ???

Moonlighter
20-11-2011, 02:38 PM
The only thing I'd add about the 90's Sportfish hulls is that they had a fair amount of bog under the paint, and after some years it tends to let go. A mate has stripped his hull and the skim coat of bog und some parts was quite noticeable. The paint jobs in those days was not as good as the better ones are now. S watch for that.

Cheers

ML

z50man
20-11-2011, 02:50 PM
this one has had a full blast back of the entire hull , only the section above the water line has been painted , bottom looks pretty good ( some repairs ) but the sides were fine with no dings ,, its a project boat but i am hoping to a good outside boat for under 10k

z50man
21-11-2011, 08:30 PM
7394573946 well picked it up today my 5.0mtr ( really 5.2 with the pod ) 1990 90hp johnson and trailer 5k , start of a good project and hope to have it up and running before xmas ...

Giffo65
21-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Your attachments don't seem to work.Sounds a bargain.

Smithy
21-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Was talking to a bloke at the Rainbow Comp 2 years ago that had a 6m with a 140 Suzuke and he thought it a bit broachy in a following sea. Some of the old Lightnings of that same era etc. were suppossed to be the same. Hadn't heard anything bad about the old Pacifics and Stingrays. Fraser comp is where you would see all the old Stingrays come out to play. That said, I have heard some of the new plateys don't handle that good and feel a bit broachy downsea, especially compared to top line glass boats. One cat owner I know hated the 5m Sportfish CC he had for a very short time but he is a died in the wool cat man. If money is tight I'd go 2nd hand with a big budget for toys and/or motor and/or trailer if needed. Plain alloy or Nyalic are the only surfaces to have for an alloy boat that goes in salt water.

Strikey
26-10-2012, 12:30 PM
G'day
I am currently doing up an old 5.8 Sportfish and need to know the font used for the sportfish label to make up a couple of new Stickers! If anyone could get back to me with some info it would be much appreciated!

turbostx
26-10-2012, 01:47 PM
G'day mate, if you would like to pm me your mobile no. i can take a photo of my original sportfish stickers and send them to your phone, and a decent sticker place would probably able to get the font from that, hope this helps cheers col.

T-REX
27-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Flex,
I still own a 1989 5.5m Sportfish cuddy delux 120Hp evinrude on a redco tandem trailer, Love it and if you can get an original sportfish that has been looked after you will have a good base to rebuild a beautiful craft. Beware of the 6m plus as they tended to crack if pushed too hard over swells. Do not get confused with the Pacific Sportfish as I believe that they were built with a thinner Hull. Still a nice boat. Sportfish had a 6mm hull, 4mm sides and a 6mm transome with an outboard extension. I still have the original sales specs somewhere and get the 5.5 if you can as has a lot more room.
Cheers