PDA

View Full Version : getting hard now

Wahoo
26-02-2009, 11:43 AM
found this bit of info, seems to be getting harder to try and save a bit of coin by doing things yourself, but then again, i can see there view

D.I.Y WARNING

The fitting of engines(s), options, accessories, fixtures or fittings to your vessel must only be carried out by a suitably qualified and authorised, marine professional (i.e: mechanic, electrician and/or tradesperson). All non-dealer fitted items, may void the vessel manufacturer's specifications and product warranty. Do not fit or install anything on your vessel yourself (unless your qualified & authorised). Your safety and that of your occupants could be at risk. St Kilda Boat Sales Pty Ltd and the Caribbean vessel manufacturer; International Marine Pty Ltd will not be responsible for performance issues, warranty and/or liability claims whatsoever, arising when a purchaser chooses to buy a vessel without an engine professionally fitted by the selling dealer of the vessel, at the time of your vessel purchase. Therefore, when you buy a Caribbean vessel without engine(s) fitted at the time of purchase - you do so, at your own risk. Alternatively, our authorised Service Centre are delighted professionally install, set up and sea-trial your new Caribbean vessel with your preferred Outboard engine package. Just ask us to assist !

BaitThrower
26-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Usual "save their own a$$" disclaimer blurb. Too bad they can't spell properly. But at the same time, they are obligating themselves to fix anything that is fitted by them and has a problem, and if they don't well their disclaimer puts themselves in hot water.

Wahoo
26-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Usual "save their own a$$" disclaimer blurb. Too bad they can't spell properly. But at the same time, they are obligating themselves to fix anything that is fitted by them and has a problem, and if they don't well their disclaimer puts themselves in hot water.

yes i hear what your saying, but after reading a few posts on here in the last few years, some dealers dont want to know about it once they have your $$$$

Daz

disorderly
26-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I can see there point as well Daz...

Although the warranty should only be voided if it was the DIY workmanship that created the problem in the first place...shouldnt be used to intimidate people into paying the dealer for installation works that are within the owners DIY capabilities ....and certainly shouldn't be used by the dealer to negate warranty on an obvious manufacturing fault although it seems that St Kilda boats are implying this.....:-/..

At least they are upfront about it...

Wahoo
26-02-2009, 12:23 PM
you would want to get it right the first time before you take the boat out of the yard, damn would piss me off if i had to fix in 4 screws.......... book the boat in, tow it to the dealer.... pay min $80p/h, then pick the boat back up

Daz

Bowser
26-02-2009, 12:53 PM
I would like to see them void a warranty because of an an item fitted outside the yard that had no bearing on the claim, Consumer affairs would have them over a barrel. It is a dealers bluff to get you to spend your hard earned with them instead of with someone cheaper or doing the simple stuff yourself. There are other Carribean dealers, take your money eslewhere

kokomo
26-02-2009, 01:47 PM
yeah this is BS imo

Mindi
26-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I would like to see them void a warranty because of an an item fitted outside the yard that had no bearing on the claim, Consumer affairs would have them over a barrel. It is a dealers bluff to get you to spend your hard earned with them instead of with someone cheaper or doing the simple stuff yourself. There are other Carribean dealers, take your money eslewhere

There are not "other boat dealers" in this context...St Kilda Boat Sales aka St Kilda Marina is owned by International Marine which is a family owned Melb coy... it's just dealer bully talk. To deny warranty they have to show the work in question caused the fault under claim...agree with Bowser entirely. Of course they shouldnt honour something wrecked by the owner.

PADDLES
26-02-2009, 03:00 PM
a warranty is just another contract between the buyer and the seller. if the seller writes this in as a condition of the warranty and the buyer agrees to the warranty terms at the point of sale then the buyer will not have a leg to stand on.

have just been bitten by this, i bought a second hand 4wd last week from a caryard, had some problems with it, got a diesel injector/pump guy to have a look at it (he had to dismantle the pump to identify the problem), the injector pump is stuffed and the caryard who sold me the car have now told me that the warranty on the pump is void because the diesel guy pulled it apart to find the problem. it does expressly say in the warranty that no-one else should touch the item or the warranty is void but i thought that common sense would be to identify the problem ............. little did i know!

goldfish
26-02-2009, 05:01 PM
i think this is prety standared in todays world. most things (boat, car, toaster what ever) if you have aggreed to thier T&C & then you play with it it's your problem..

Angla
26-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I remember that the trailer wiring was not connected properly. How easy is it to not get the wires the wrong way around and then test your work. Brand new Dunbier trailer. I have since rewired my boat from the battery through to all the accessories due to untidy layout and small gauge wiring being used. The toilet has a motor that has no clearance from the floor and gets salt water to it. Drainage would have been pretty easy to protect from this. The gps antenna was installed directly under the centre windscreen aluminium centre support.

Am I being picky to not expect these things on a $55,000 investment.

I do not blame people for doing it themselves if these are the sort of results you get from quality marine dealers in quality marine products. Shoddy work.
I have fixed these faults myself in a better manner than they ever installed them.

Chris

tunaticer
26-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I wonder if this has been sent down from Carribean to the dealer or if the dealer is trying to get larger sales through the threat factor?

If a motor is fitted DIY and fitted properly as good as or better than professionally fitted then the claim could not be refused under law I think. After all, most workshops claim to have experts fitting things but in fact have lackeys under suspect supervision from someone who has done it a few times more before.

Try fighting a dangerous driving charge even if you are somebody like Dick Johnson and no amount of driving history on a racetrack as a professional will get you "expert" status under law. The point of actually being expert under law does not really exist, only perceptions of it. Same goes for "professional" work done. You may profess in your elite field of work but that does not mean your work may be of very high standard technically.

BOMBIE
26-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Fellas ,how could this happen:o when The National Marine Safety Committee states (qoute)that to Implement an Aust Builders Plate you must be one of three things 1 the builder ,2 the importer ,3 A Competent Person ??" A compentent is one who is defined as being a person who has acquired through training,qualification,EXPERIENCE,OR a combination of these ,the knowledge and skills enabling THAT person to competently determine and approve the information on that plate ">:( (unquote) still doesnt mean that you back up /stand by the workmanship of these THINGS once the puttogeathers have our hard earned $$$$:'(

goat boy
26-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Probably a fallout from the modern culture of of individuals implementing legal action (and winning) for just about any outrageous, moronic act THEY committed.
Unfortunate for the consumer as a whole but hey, legal precedent is legal precedent (and no win, no fee is hard to pass up even in the most self-incriminating acts of stupidity).