PDA

View Full Version : New Laws !st March 2009

Magella
26-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Don't forget that new bag limit and size laws come in on the !st march only a couple of days away. The good thing is that the law about crab pots is under review and at this stage the old laws will still remain.

Cheers Foxie

Should be able to pick up new Rec Fishing Rules Guide at your Tackle Store as they are out now

Steve B
26-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Foxie,

can you tell me where there is a good tackle shop in the Gin Gin area..:P

Put the kettle on.

Steve

finga
26-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Foxie,

can you tell me where there is a good tackle shop in the Gin Gin area..:P

Put the kettle on.

Steve
I thought that was the local Ambo station??

White no sugar ta :)

Scott nthQld
26-02-2009, 01:15 PM
The new laws are not yet available in a hard copy, only via internet access. So what happens if a person does not have access to the internet for one reason or another? Apparently the new regs haven't even been printed yet, let alone distributed.

See the article here from the Townsville bulletin:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/02/25/40861_fishing.html

The relevant text from that article:

Internet only access
NEW recreational fishing regulations that will be implemented from March 1 will need to be accessed via the internet if anglers are to keep abreast of the extensive rule changes.
That is despite a Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries promise to have hard copies of the regulations available to the fishing public by early February.
As of late last week, the printers had not yet delivered the literature to DPI&F and in turn, bait and tackle outlets, marine shops and other related industries were unable to assist anglers in their quest for copies of the new rules.
Several anglers, including Townsville's Bruce Landolph, have had trouble finding copies of the regulations and they all wonder if people will get fined if they can't see exactly what the new regs are.

harry_h01
26-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I just visited the local Chandlery (whits) and they have nothing. No maps, no bag or size limits. The Government haven't even sent them the material soas they can amend their little tide time cards they hand out for free.

Harry

Lucky_Phill
26-02-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/RecFishing-SizeAndTake-combined.pdf

Lucky_Phill
26-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Recreational fishing size and bag limits for Queensland Tidal waters
Note: Fish with new size and/or bag limits, and/or limits that now apply to both the east coast and Gulf of Carpentaria are marked ‘NEW’. The changes are effective from 1 March 2009 (except limits that apply to sharks and rays that are effective from 1 June 2009, and size limits for pikey and yellowfin bream, tailor and tarwhine that come into effect on 1 March 2010).

Coral reef fin fish*
Species
Size limit (cm)
Bag limit
All cods and groupers
38 min
Combined limit of 5 in total of all cod and grouper species
Cod and grouper exceptions
Blackspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW..............................38 min 120 max
Camouflage grouper NEW............................................... ........50 min 70 max
Flowery rockcod NEW............................................... .............50 min 70 max
Goldspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW...............................38 min 120 max
Greasy rockcod........................................... ..............................38 min 100 max
Maori rockcod........................................... ...............................45 min
Barramundi cod............................................... ........No take
Potato rockcod........................................... .............No take
Queensland grouper........................................... ......No take

All coral trout ......38 min ..Combined limit of 7 in total of all trout species
Coral trout exceptions
Blue spotted coral trout (Chinese footballer) ..........................50 min 80 max
All emperors...............25 min............................................5 per species
Emperor exceptions
Redthroat emperor (sweetlip emperor)......38 min ...............8
Long nose emperor....................................38 min ................5
Spangled emperor ...................................45 min ..................5
All fusiliers
No limit

All parrotfishes ......................25 min ............................5 per species
All surgeonfishes ...................25 min ..............................5 per species
* The 2009 coral reef fin fish closures are under review. Visit the DPI&F website at www.dpi.qld.gov.au (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au) to find out if seasonal closures apply.
Coral reef fin fish*
Species
Size limit (cm)
Bag limit
All sweetlips—excluding redthroat emperor (sweetlip emperor) ...25 min ...5 per species
All tropical snappers and sea perches ..............25 min .................................5 per species
Tropical snappers and sea perch exceptions
Rosy snapper (jobfish) and lavender snapper (jobfish) .................................38 min
Combined limit of 8 in total of both species
Chinaman fish .................................................. .....................No take

Crimson snapper (small mouth nannygai) and saddletail snapper (large mouth nannygai)
40 min
Combined limit of 9 in total of both species
Flame snapper ................................38 min ...........................5
Goldband snapper ..........................38 min ...........................5
Hussar ............................................25 min ..........................10
Green jobfish .................................38 min ...........................5
Paddletail ..........................No take
Red bass .........................No take
Red emperor .................................55 min ..............................5
Ruby snapper .............................38 min ................................5
Smalltooth jobfish .......................38 min ...............................5
Miscellaneous jobfish..................38 min....................5 per species
All wrasse ..............................25 min ....................5 per species
Wrasse exceptions
Humphead Maori .....................No take

Tuskfish (all species) .............................30 min
Combined limit of 6 in total of all tuskfish species

maztez
26-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I have just picked up a copy of (1) Recreational fishing rules and regulations for Queensland ...a brief guide march 2009
(2) Recreational fishing size and bag limits for Queensland ...march 2009

available from Nitro Marine

Lucky_Phill
26-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Other tidal species

Giant queenfish
East coast NEW...................50 min......................5
Gulf of Carpentaria NEW.........50 min.............No limit
Golden snapper (fingermark)....East coast NEW....35 min.....5
Gulf of Carpentaria......................................3 5 min..............10
Goldlip pearl oyster.....................13 min 23 max..........No limit
Grass emperor (sweetlip) NEW.........30 min...................10
Javelin
Barred (spotted grunter) East coast NEW..........40 min............10
Barred (spotted grunter)Gulf of Carpentaria NEW...40 min.10 whole fish or..20 fillets
Silver (small spotted grunter) NEW..............30 min.................10
Jewfish
Black (east coast) NEW.......................75 min.............................2
Black (Gulf of Carpentaria).................60 min 120 max....5 with no more than
2 over 100 cm
Scaly jewfish (jewel fish) NEW..............45 min...................No limit
Luderick NEW...............................30 min...........................10
MackerelGrey NEW.......................60 min...........................5
Spanish.....................................75 min..............................3
School NEW................................50 min...........................10
Shark NEW...............................50 min..............................10
Spotted NEW..........................60 min................................5
Coral reef fin fish*

All sweetlips—excluding redthroat emperor
(sweetlip emperor)........25 min......................5 per species
All tropical snappers and sea perches.........25 min.........5 per species

Tropical snappers and sea perch exceptions
Rosy snapper (jobfish) and lavender snapper (jobfish)..........38 min
Combined limit.of 8 in total of both species
Chinaman fish....................No take

Crimson snapper (small mouth nannygai) and saddletail snapper (large mouth nannygai)................40 minCombined limit of 9 in total of both species
Flame snapper...............38 min.................5
Goldband snapper.........38 min..................5
Hussar..............25 min..............................10
Green jobfish................38 min...................5
Paddletail...................No take
Red bass....................No take
Red emperor..............55 min......................5
Ruby snapper............38 min.....................5
Smalltooth jobfish......38 min...................5
Miscellaneous jobfish...38 min.............5 per species

All wrasse.....................25 min.............5 per species
Wrasse exceptions
Humphead Maori.........................No take
Tuskfish (all species)..................30 min

Combined limit of 6 in total of all tuskfish species

* The 2009 coral reef fin fish closures are under review. Visit the DPI&F website at www.dpi.qld.gov.au (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au) to find out if seasonal closures apply.
In addition to individual bag limits for each coral reef fin fish species listed, they all have a combined bag limit of 20. Please refer to the Recreational fishing rules and regulations for Queensland: A brief guide for more information. For a complete list of coral reef species access the Fisheries (Coral Reef Fin Fish) Management Plan 2003 at www.legislation.qld.gov.au (http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au)
Other tidal species

Mahi mahi (dolphin fish) NEW...............60 min....................5
Mangrove jack NEW.............................35 min.....................5
Mullet Diamondscale NEW.................30 min.....................20
Sea NEW.........................................30 min.......................20
Molluscs and gastropods any—excluding oysters..No limit..50
Mulloway NEW.....................75 min.................................2
Pearl perch........................35 min.....................................5
Prawns..........................No limit..............................10 litres‡
Samsonfish NEW...........75 min
Combined limit
of 2 in total of amberjack and samsonfish

Sharks and rays (effective from 1 July 2009) NEW..1.5 m max.....1
Sharks and rays exceptions NEW
Great white sharks
Grey nurse sharks
Sawfish
Speartooth sharks
All No take

Snapper.........................35 min......................5
Swallowtail dart NEW.....30 min...................30
Tailor NEW.....................30 min......(35 min from 1 March 2010).....20
Tarwhine NEW.................23 min........(25 cm from 1 March 2010)
Combined limit of
30 in total of pikey and yellowfin bream, and tarwhine

‡ No more than 10 prawns with their heads or any other part
removed, unless the removal was to process the prawns for immediate consumption.

Other tidal species

Amberjack NEW..................75 min
Combined limit of 2 in total of amberjack and samsonfish
Australian bass†.....................30 min...............2
Barramundi†
East coast............................58 min 120 max........5
Gulf of Carpentaria..........60 min 120 max.............5
Bêche de mer (sea cucumber)..........No limit.........5

Bêche de mer exception
Black teatfish

Bream (pikey and yellowfin) NEW...........23 min (25 cm from 1 March 2010)
Combined limit of
30 in total of pikey and yellowfin bream, and tarwhine

Blacklip pearl oyster............9 min........................No limit
Cobia (black kingfish) NEW...........75 min............2
Crab Blue swimmer....................11.5 min............No limit
Mud...........................................15 min..................10
Spanner†................................10 min....................20

Eels
Longfin.............30 min....Combined limit of 10 in total of all species

Pacific shortfin (south Pacific)......................30 min
Southern shortfin.......................................30 min

Flathead
All flathead (except dusky flathead) NEW............30 min
Combined limit of 5 in total of all species (except dusky flathead)

Dusky flathead (mud flathead) NEW.....40 min 75 max............5
Garfish NEW...............No limit.......................................50

† A closed season applies to these species. Please refer to the Recreational fishing rules and regulations for Queensland: A brief guide for more information.
Other tidal species

Teraglin NEW....................38 min...............5
Threadfin (salmon)...King NEW..........60 min................5
Blue (east coast) NEW.....................40 min................10
Blue (Gulf of Carpentaria)................40 min.................20
Trevally NEW..............................No limit......................20
Trochus.....................8 min 12.5 max..........................50

Tropical rocklobster† (tropical spiny rock lobster) (Panulirus ornatus)
11.5 tail min..........................9 carapace min
Above 14˚ south latitude:
3 per person/6 per boat
Below 14˚ south latitute:
5 per person/10 per boat

Wahoo NEW...............75 min.........................2

Whiting
All whiting (except trumpeter whiting) NEW..............23 min
Combined limit...............of 30 in total of..........all whiting species
(except trumpeter whiting)
Trumpeter (winter whiting) NEW.........No limit................50
Wolf herring NEW...............................No limit...............10

Worms (including part thereof)
Beach....................................No limit.............................30
Blood................................No limit..................................50
Yellowtail kingfish NEW............60 min...........................2

† A closed season applies to these species. Please refer to the Recreational fishing rules and regulations for Queensland:

Hope this helps.............. confuse people... :-/ :-/ 8-)

phill

zigfreed
26-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I rang DPI&F a few weeks ago and got my " brief guide" yesterday in the mail. No maps though.

Dunno if this will be of any help but below is a link where you can suscribe to updates from DPI&F so you get emailed directly when changes happen. Hopefully it would include things like the crab trap review/changes and size/bag changes in the future.

http://www.vision6.com.au/em/forms/subscribe.php?db=183565&s=36414&u=13082&k=4b24c9a

cheers

Mick

Ratman
26-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Might grab me one of these.

Fish identification/bag/seize chart. It looks accurate at first glance.

Mick

www.camtas.com.au (http://www.camtas.com.au)

SeaHunt
26-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd better get out there this Saturday and put a dent in the ones that are going to be illegal on Sunday.:D

Lucky_Phill
26-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I will personally hand you the info booklet when you turn up at the Protest Rally after BBQ on Saturday 28th.

Get a snag, drink and the info..............

You can't get better service than that ???????

Phill

Scott nthQld
26-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Phil, its all well and good for us, obviously we have access to the internet, but what about those that don't? They obviously can't log into Ausfish and take a look at the regs you've posted, let alone get onto the DPI site.

Lucky_Phill
26-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Scott,

Your question should be targeting the DPI&F.

I would say that the DPI&F will eventually get their info books out to all tackle shops.

The local Fishing Mag will publish them.

Approach you local newspaper to do the same in the interest of community awareness.

Maybe, as I have suggested to the DPI&F, they put a booklet or info on where to obtain it, inside the boat rego envelope.

All camping, and fishing stores should carry it and I believe it is up to them ( partially ) to obtain these for customer service.

All DPI&F field officers should carry spare booklets.

AND, I don't believe it is that hard or expensive to place a notice at every boat ramp.

All fishing club should obtain supplies.

And all fishing competition organisors should release the booklet along with entry forms.

That should just about cover it.... ;D 8-)

cheers

chewy01
26-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Phil, im wondering if they will do something similar to the green zones here,and have ppl handing out pamphlets at the ramp,while taking rego numbers to confir you have received the info..maybe??

sleepygreg
26-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Ours (Moreton Bay Boat Club Game/Sportfish Section) arrived by courier from the DPI&F yesterday. I would think that would also apply to any club/organisation that is on their data base. I agree re those that dont have access to the internet...its a common (and erroneous) assumption made by many organisations now, that everyone has access to the internet. My mum struggles to use her mobile phone....and thinks computers are the work of the devil...lol. Yet she is a keen and active fisho.

Greg

oldboot
26-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I rang DPI&F today and asked for a couple of coppies ogf the new size and bag limits......I expect it in the post tomorrow.

I rang the EPA earlier this week to order the "moreton bay marine park users guide" they arrived the following day.

I agree that they are a bunch of slackos.....

Note also that the EPA document contains a disclaimer saying the guide is unreliable and if it matters you should consult the act.

This realy pisses me off.
That the state government is not prepared to guarantee the accuracy of the information they print in the only sources that are realy accessable and understandable by the average fisho.

cheers

Scott nthQld
27-02-2009, 09:01 AM
The lack of communicating the new laws is a disgrace, we've all established that but I have another question.

Given that the new bag and size limits will be 1 shark with a max size of 1m, what will the game fishing comps in Qld do? Also, if someone is inclined to target a species of shark to beat a record, how will they go about claiming it, given the shark must be kept and weighed in?

I'm guessing the answer is simply "you can't" and "shark tournaments will be tag and release only", as I haven't read into it further because simply, I don't intend to catch sharks, I think they are the scourge of the sea when you are trying to catch fish. I certainly don't want to see them all dead, but I just though of it this morning, what will the Game fishing industry be up for?

The reason I ask is that this year I will be entering the Predators Tournament, and I know that many big sharks are killed an brought to weigh in just for the prize money. I won't be chasing the prize money for sharks though every year it has been a substantial sum.

Magella
27-02-2009, 09:42 AM
The Recreational fishing rules and regulations for Queensland A brief guide is in print and out now as I have had two boxes of them avire at the shop on Wednesday

Cheers Foxie

Grunter71
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Other tidal species

Jewfish
Black (east coast) NEW.......................75 min.............................2
Black (Gulf of Carpentaria).................60 min 120 max....5 with no more than
2 over 100 cm
Scaly jewfish (jewel fish) NEW..............45 min...................No limit

Teraglin NEW....................38 min...............5

phill

Does anybody know what a Scaly Jewfish(Jewel fish) is? The only Jewel fish in my Grant's Guide is a freshwater fish.

I was wondering if they had renamed the Teraglin, but see that they are still at the bottom of the list.

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Good question Grunter.

I'll look into it.

Thanks....

Phill

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.fish.gov.au/fishnames/fishnames.php?pid=2819#family

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/CAABlogo_blue1.gif

Taxon Report CAAB Taxon Code: 37 354024
Scientific Name and Authority: Nibea squamosa Sasaki, 1992
CAAB category: 37 - Pisces - Fishes
Family: 37 354 Sciaenidae (jewfishes) show full list (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.family_listing?ctg=37&fcde=354&fseq=1)
Standard Name: Scaly Jewfish
Suggested Indexable Form: not yet designated
Common Names List:
Standard (Commercial) Name(s): Jewfish
Organism Type: a jewfish
Other names used in Australia:
Taxon Notes:
Scientific Name Notes:
Common/Standard Name Notes:
Parent Codes (if any):
37 354000 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354000) .. Sciaenidae - undifferentiated .. jewfishes
Child Codes (if any):
Previous Codes (if any):

Taxon status (on CAAB list):
Taxon on current Australian list: Yes
Taxon on commercial species list: No
Taxon on Standard Fish Names List: No

On-line resources for this taxon:

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2009, 05:46 PM
http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/CAABlogo_blue1.gifCAAB Search Result Current CAAB listing for family (or group) Sciaenidae
Your search returned 22 matches.
Click on any hyperlink to see a taxon report, or on "photo" or "map" buttons, as available.

37 354000 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354000) .. Sciaenidae - undifferentiated .. jewfishes http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354000) (family code)
37 354903 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354903) .. Argyrosomus hololepidotus & Protonibea diacanthus .. [a jewfish] (group code)
37 354001 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354001) .. Argyrosomus hololepidotus .. Mulloway http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354001)
37 354020 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354020) .. Atractoscion aequidens .. Teraglin
37 354012 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354012) .. Atrobucca brevis .. Orange Jewfish http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354012)
37 354011 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354011) .. Atrobucca nibe .. Longmouth Jewfish http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354011)
37 354008 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354008) .. Austronibea oedogenys .. Yellowtail Jewfish http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354008)
37 354750 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354750) .. Chrysochir aureus .. [a jewfish] - (not on AFZ list - imported species or special purpose listing)
37 354009 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354009) .. Johnius amblycephalus .. Bearded Jewfish http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354009)
37 354022 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354022) .. Johnius australis .. Little Jewfish
37 354007 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354007) .. Johnius borneensis .. River Jewfish http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354007)
37 354004 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354004) .. Johnius laevis .. Smooth Jewfish http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354004)
37 354021 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354021) .. Johnius macropterus .. [a jewfish]
37 354025 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354025) .. Johnius novaeguineae .. Paperhead Jewfish
37 354026 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354026) .. Larimichthys pamoides .. Southern Yellow Jewfish
37 354751 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354751) .. Larimichthys polyactis .. [a jewfish] - (not on AFZ list - imported species or special purpose listing)
37 354027 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354027) .. Nibea leptolepis .. Smallscale Jewfish
37 354023 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354023) .. Nibea microgenys .. Smallmouth Jewfish
37 354019 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354019) .. Nibea soldado .. Silver Jewfish
37 354024 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354024) .. Nibea squamosa .. Scaly Jewfish
37 354006 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354006) .. Otolithes ruber .. Silver Teraglin http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354006)
37 354003 (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_report?spcode=37354003) .. Protonibea diacanthus .. Black Jewfish http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/web_art/map_button2.gif (http://www.marine.csiro.au/caabsearch/caab_search.caab_maps?tax_code=37354003)

Note: CAAB codes prefixed "99" represent project-specific (informal) taxa.

Lucky_Phill
04-03-2009, 06:14 PM
OK, I have done about 20 minutes on this.... no luck for an image.

So I have contacted DPI&F requesting an image or place to find image / description etc.

phill

Grunter71
07-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks Phil, good work.

I have found a photo via Google.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fishbase.mnhn.fr/images/thumbnails/jpg/tn_Nisqu_u0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fishbase.mnhn.fr/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php%3Fid%3D15457%26lang%3DItalian&usg=__rDvy1Zbv0tnhlphhy3pfIf_6dW4=&h=94&w=211&sz=6&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=HBGCXzWjxeJvDM:&tbnh=47&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522Nibea%2Bsquamosa%2522%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3D

Apparently distribution is Far Nthn Australia and New Guinea waters.

jtpython
07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Fairly strange that the wolf herring is now 10 i think they are around this area in plague porpotions at times and a buggar when trolling spoons around and make awesome spanish baits .............. Do you guys south get them like we do up here?

JT

FNQCairns
11-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Fairly strange that the wolf herring is now 10 i think they are around this area in plague porpotions at times and a buggar when trolling spoons around and make awesome spanish baits .............. Do you guys south get them like we do up here?

JT

A full 2/3 of the regulations are not about that.

cheers fnq

oldboot
11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Now remember that if you are using a fish for bait.....once it is gone it is gone and you can catch another to replace it..... but don't keep the frame.... that is still a fish in possesion.

Now.... an interesting and obscure clause of the regulations allows you to have one fish "being processed for bait".......this is not counted in the total of everything.

I have to do some more reading on that one..and maybe ask the dpi for clarification...... but that is the way I read it.

Now one of the real pissers... is the bag limit of ONE on shark and rays and an upper limit of 1.5 meters.......nothing spicies specific.....one shark or ray.....and that 1.5 meters includes the tail on a ray.......go figure that one.

cheers

sleepygreg
11-03-2009, 11:44 PM
the prawn one has me interested........no more than 10 prawns without heads unless for immediate consumption......what about if i buy a kilo of prawn meat for bait from the local fish market.........is that classed as for immediate consumption?

greg

oldboot
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
There are a whole pile of problems with the regulations as written and purchased sea food.

you are not allowed possesion of parts of crabs or crab meat unless for immediate consumption

you are not allowed return to a boat with fillets

the 10 broken prawns rule

and a what happens with all the commercialy grown under sized product that can legaly be sold.

there are so many holes, traps and irregularities in the fishing legeslation it is rediculous.

cheers