PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Craft Explorer 500

Nomad62
26-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Hi Guys,
I am thinking about buying a Cruise Craft Explorer 500 for some close inshore fishing around Central Qld.

Just wondering if there are any owners out there that could tell me what they think of this boat.....what horse power motor would be suitable etc.

Iam thinking of putting a 115 4st on the back....hoping for a top speed of around 30mph and cruising on 25mph. I know they are rated for a 135hp....but thinking of a happy medium.

Are they a stable boat at rest etc.....any information would be helpfull.

Cheers Nomad

jtpython
26-02-2009, 06:24 AM
I have a 550 Explorer and they are great boats at anchor mvery stable and you'll have no problems with the room in them.
115 sounds okay for the horse power as that should be suffient for the boat size i get a great amount of use out of mine and have travelled a large distance off the coast and handles the rough weather no problems
JT

DAN-SK
26-02-2009, 03:53 PM
you cant go wrong, they handle really well. have only had mine since december but have had the chance to go offshore at the gc 36s 1.5 metre swell last weekend it took it really well and dry. mine has a 90 merc and does go well.top speed 75klm. any questions pm me. w

Nomad62
26-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi Fellas thanks for the response.

JT,
I see your posts quite often on this site.....you certainly do get good use out of your boat....some great fish too. I reckon they would be stable....nice and beamy but still have a good deadrise.....good for the chop in Keppel Bay.

DAN-SK
Most people i have talked to give them a good wrap. I reckon the 115 should perform similar to the 90 Merc as the yammy is a bit heavier being a 4 Stroke. Thanks for the info.

Cheers Nomad

MyEscape
27-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Nomad,

I had bought a new Cruisecraft 500 whilst living in Gladstone a couple of years ago. It came wih a 115 Merc 2 stroke.

It was a great boat to say the least. Top speed was around 37 knots measured by the GPS.

I never had a problem with mine and quality of the boat was great. Only sold when we moved back to Mackay and the wife wasn't too keen on gonig offshore so went back to a tinny for myself.

Steve

spearking
27-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Same as above nomad, I have a cruise craft 550 with a 135 and have put it through its paces through some pretty sketchy weather and couldn't be happier.... I think your 500 with a 115 would be about right..... happy hunting

Nomad62
27-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah thanks guys, all reports i get sound good.....I am going to look at the boat tomorrow.....hope to be an CC 500 owner on Sunday:).

Cheers Nomad

ifishcq1
27-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Is that you WR?

Cruise Craft are quality and if you are an owner on Sunday bring it down the harbour for a run

we might see you there

SL

Nomad62
28-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi Scotty.....yeah that be me,

Probably wont be back on Sunday, but will see ya down the Harbour sometime soon for sure;).

I have been itching to get outside for a fish, and want a boat i can handle myself...also a bit of cover from the elements for the family.

All good things i'm hearing about the Cruise Craft.....dont think i can go wrong.

Cheers Nomad