PDA

View Full Version : Damn Scammers!

boatboy50
25-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Guys,

Just thought i'd show you all how easy the scammers can steal your stuff.

Browsing the web and I found a picture of my own boat and wording being used in a scam.

http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Boats-Jet-Skis-boats-jet-skis-SEAFARER-VICTORY-6-0M-scam-scam-scam-beware-of-this-ad-W0QQAdIdZ104148149

My boat is for sale on http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/ed.html?de=44079, but I had nothing to do with the other ad.

Looks like someone has reported it, but I have no way of doing anything about it.

Hope nobody is stupid enough to fall for it.

Kepp your eyes open at all times these days.

Regards

Darren

Jabba_
25-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up Darren
Didn't you just buy the Seafarer about a year ago... Whats the reason your selling.. Up grading I hope

boatboy50
25-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Hey Jabba,

No real reason except we bought a PWC and will play with that for a while. The wife can use that when i'm working too, so it's just so much more manageable.

In this economic environment i'd rather have the cash aside than sitting in the yard used once a fortnight. Job security is not good for anyone right now, which is probably why it won't sell.

I'm not keen or desperate to move it, hence why I've only got it advertised on one website at the moment.

I'll give it a run on EBAY soon, but i'm not worried if it doesn't sell.

I know of a few Victories which have sold of late, and based on them the money is good buying.

I can't believe the hide of the scammers. Stole all my info, and cut out my name and number.

I'm pretty pissed at it.

Regards

Darren

tenzing
25-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey Darren,
Gee you have got to be careful these days. I'd say you did well to pick this one up.
The boat has come up a treat in the pics, and I think that you have definitely asked a VERY reasonable price for a victory in that nick!
Can I ask you who did the job on your roof as I am going to get my victory re done soon and yours looks schmick?
Best of luck with the sale,
Brendan

Poodroo
25-02-2009, 09:43 PM
That's just amazing and yet another reason I never trust a lot of people these days. Good luck with the sale of your boat. I wish I had that sort of money. She looks like a lovely boat.

Regards,

Poodroo

boatboy50
25-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys,

Every time I look at it or use it I put off putting up the next ad. I'm very happy with the final outcome.

All the stainless work is factory original.

I had the canvas and upholstery done by a bloke on the Goldie, Ben's Quality Boat Covers. He's home based and hence has much cheaper prices. I reckon i've used every major trimmer on the Coast over the years, and he's as good as the expensive blokes with their big bills.

He's about to trim my camper unit on my 4x4 also, so keep an eye on the camping forum for pics. PM if you want his number.

Regards

Darren

tenzing
25-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys,

Every time I look at it or use it I put off putting up the next ad. I'm very happy with the final outcome.

All the stainless work is factory original.

I had the canvas and upholstery done by a bloke on the Goldie, Ben's Quality Boat Covers. He's home based and hence has much cheaper prices. I reckon i've used every major trimmer on the Coast over the years, and he's as good as the expensive blokes with their big bills.

He's about to trim my camper unit on my 4x4 also, so keep an eye on the camping forum for pics. PM if you want his number.

Regards

Darren
Thanks Darren,
Mate they are an unreal boat,
Do you think you will ever get one as nice as this if you sell?
Brendan

Jabba_
26-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Job security is a big worrie at the moment. I know I am scared for my short term future. IF the company work or picks up one off the major projects on the goldy ,(which it is tendering for) I wont have to fear about being layed off for 18-24 months... But if we miss out, then it's back to Brisbane, or on a long unpaid holiday...

finga
26-02-2009, 06:22 AM
I would have rung and asked to see the boat to see what'll happen.

TimiBoy
26-02-2009, 07:15 AM
I had an offer on my boat in 12 hours, from a person saying she was shopping for one of her Directors, who wanted a boat like that and would pay full price if I invested the equity in a property development with them.

I see this as predatory - if you're in a tearing hurry, like me, this could throw up some very scary scenarios.

Just a heads up for any other sellers out there...

Cheers,

Tim

Wahoo
26-02-2009, 07:26 AM
not good to see Darren, is there any way at all to find out who would do these things?

Daz

boatboy50
26-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Hey Guys,

I doubt i will find another in that condition, but I tend to change my boats pretty often lately. There's always another around the corner, and i'm not brand specific, so when the time is right i'm sure another will come along.

Jabba, i'm also preparing for the off chance I get a long unpaid holiday. I've already got the truck packed, the camper ready and the PWC hooked on ready to travel! Now I'll just wait for the day to come!

I only found the ad last night, but it's been there for a while. Someone else has obviously reported it (why it hasn't been removed I don't know), and as far as I can see there is no contact details or email on the ad anymore. Someone has edited it somehow since it was posted. I don't know if there ever was any contact details, so I don't get the point of them putting the ad up.

Timi, keep your chin up. There is plenty of scammers out there. Unless there is cash in the bank it's not sold. Good luck with the sale.

Regards

Darren

LostNearBribie
26-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow, that is amazing. Wouldn't it be great to get hold of them...

I'm on an unpaid holiday already, can't afford to take off though!
That seems like a great price for your boat mate.
Wish I had the money.

Good luck with it all.

Getout
26-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Be aware of the scammer who agrees to buy your boat but accidentally adds a few extra zeros to the cheque when making the deposit into your account. Once its in your account, he then, politely asks you to fwd the excess payment to his account. The original cheque bounces and he gets away with your money and you never hear from him again.
He never intended to buy the boat. He never even got interested in the price or the extras.

I had an e-mail exchange with a guy posing as a buyer for some goods the other day. It turned out he was from Ghana and he wanted to pay by credit card. As soon as I specified a five day funds clearance period, the correspondence stopped.
You can't be too careful.

Almako
10-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I was bidding for a boat on ebay. I was competing against one other person when i finally gave in and he beat me in the auction. Funny thing was i got a second chance offer from the seller, i thought this was pretty strange as the other person bidding was an extremely aggressive bidder. When i did a few checks i could see that i was bidding against a brand new account that was created on the same day that i started my first bid. I complained to ebay about it and found that both accounts were closed within a couple of days. Cheaky bastard had opened a second account to up the price.

ebay won't advise me what the outcome was due to legalities