PDA

View Full Version : Building a plate Aluminium Boat for Townsville

thephotoguru
25-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Good afternoon All,

For some strange reason I am considering building a plate boat for fishing around Townsviile and was wanting some opinions.

My requirements are:

1. Must be able to be easily launched and retrieved on my own.

2. Must be able to still fish in the creeks.

3. Want to be able to get out to and around Magnetic Island close reefs etc.

My thought are a centreconsole or cuddy cab at about 4.7 meters with high sides and a reasonable beam to give stability.

Do you think this size will be OK or am I kidding myself?

Your thoughts please.

Cheers Eamon

PS.... See what happnes when there it too much thinking time between fishing....

Blackened
25-02-2009, 04:24 PM
G'day

All I can say is, if the dream is big enough, the facts don't count.

There's a number of guys here who have built their own plate alloys, do a thorough search and plenty will come up.

Factor in all the pricing for absolutely everything, and make sure you don't cut corners with whats needed.

If you're reasonable on the tools, and have a good area to work in, why not?

Dave

ozbee
25-02-2009, 04:33 PM
minimum be about 5.5 mtrs less likely to get a wave over nose when anchored etc. really not much use spending buckets of cash on a plate boat that size as it doesn't have the mass and unless you cut back on v it will lean like a pig in shore which puts you back to the pressed boat market in capabalties so why spend so much extra cash fo r very little gain.

thephotoguru
25-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Good points and I realise that building a plate boat is not the cheapest option unless one happens to have the aluminium just lying around waiting to be welded. :D

Ozbee I take your point on size, weight and vee, I may need to revise things up a bit.

Is it getting a bit ambitious to launch and retreive a 5.5 M plate boat on your own?

Eeamon

Blackened
25-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Is it getting a bit ambitious to launch and retreive a 5.5 M plate boat on your own?

G'day

I don't believe so if you've got a good system in place

Dave

whiteman
25-02-2009, 06:20 PM
You'll need to put plenty of thought into the trailer. I have no problems with a 5.3 Quinnie cuddy by myself but the extra weight of plate with dual wheels on the trailer would add a degree of difficulty. I barely need to get the trailer wet to get the boat on/off. You may not have that luxury as you may need to get plenty into the water. You may be able to rig a drive on/off system. Go down the boatramp on a busy day and watch what others are doing.

As for the boat itself - bigger is better in our waters if you want to fish over 10 knots.

thephotoguru
25-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Cheers Dave,

As I will also need another trailer maybe I could get/make a drive on type of thing?

Not that I really know the difference if there is any.

Keeps the grey matter working.

Eamon

Scott nthQld
25-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm in the same dilemma, I'm looking at getting my very own platey next year, and so far the new Formosa Tomohawk is in the lead, so much so I'm making the arduos journey to Mission Beach to take one for a test drive (might also do a bit of fishing...lol).

I have the same requirment as you, something that will still be able to fish the creeks and that I can launch and retrieve solo, but also being suitable to head wider, so far for the dollars, compared to others with my specifications, the formosa is well in the lead. There's another thread on this boat with a bit more info and a few photo's, do a searcch on 'New Formosa Tomohawk" and something should come up in the Boating forum.

Just to list a few features, from memory I think it has the following:

Length 5.5m
Beam 2.4m
LOA 5.65m
5mm Hull, 4mm sides
3mm sealed carpetted alloy deck with scuppers
200L killtank
massive baitboard
Front casting deck
anchor well for 300m of rope plus anchor and chain

thats just a few, but there's one in Mission fully fitted out (less vhf) with a 135hp 4str honda for about 48k I think.

thephotoguru
25-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Scott,

That is a nice piece of kit, touch on the $$ side for me though.

Looks a bit of a handful to launch/retrieve by myself.

Maybe I would just need a deckie?

Cheers Eamon

Mad-One
25-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I can launch my 5.5 c/cab on my own so a c/console would be easier

Cheers Mad

thephotoguru
25-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Mad-One it is good to get others first hand experience.

Might have to find a boat similar and see how it goes.

levinge
25-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I have its big brother in the 5.8M but I would always suggest having a deckie, especially up here in Townsville, plus there is someone onboard to have your back and also pass the time chatting while fishing. Going solo can get boring after a while.

There are plenty of Ausfish guys up here who will champ at the bit to get out and fish, so you'll never be short of a deckie and the share cost, means more fishing.

Value for money the Formosa Range are a very good option, check out their stable of boats, your bound to find something that will help you get to wet a line..

Scott nthQld
26-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Eamon, even if you don't go for the Tomohawk, take a peek at formosa's line up, they have several sizes, with all the same hull design, and I'm sure will provide a stable and relatively smooth ride if driven correctly. The standard 5.5m c/c starts at around 35k with a 90hp honda, but they also make smaller versions too. The Tinny Shack at Mission beach is out closest dealer, unless you want to make the trek to brissy.

levinge
26-02-2009, 02:11 PM
A good bit of info also is, no matter what you go for

Ensure that they dealer fits out your boat with marine grade gear i.e. batteries, wiring, connectors etc.

There are some out there that are cutting corners and cost to maximise their profit margin and sometimes at the detrement of the customer.

Before anyone jumps in, I have heard this directly from a marine dealer, who has had to fix the problems generated by shoddy fitouts. In particular, incorrect batteries, sub standard wiring that will not last in the marine environment and connectors not being suitably protected against corrosion...

Remember to ask every question possible, no matter how stupid it might sound. Better to get every question answered before you put ink on paper...

Scott is right, check out the full range in the Formosa stable.

thephotoguru
26-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I guess there would be a few dollars in getting all the right gear to fit it out and how would the average user know if they were getting tinned wire etc.

Thanks for your input Levinge

suzygs1000
26-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi, Eamon,

I'm in Ingham - I have built two boats, the current one is a Plate Alloy 5.8 Centre console. It owes me just under $35k on a full aluminium trailer which I also built. It is only a single axle trailer, and I have no trouble launching and driving back on by myself.

I'm pretty sure that Plate Alloy also do a smaller Centre Console about 5.2m, but have a look on their web site... http://www.platealloy.com/index.htm

If you want to check out their style of boat, feel free to ring me, and you can have a look at mine, and the trailer too.

They're not a bad mob to deal with, but having said that, business is business - they are in it to make a bob.

I found they were very helpful, and easily accessible.

regards Dave.

Scott nthQld
26-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Dave, looks interesting. I had a look at the website and noticed they labelled them as kits, does this mean you had to weld everything up yourself? If thats the case, something like that wouldn't suit someone like me who has nil alloy welding experience and only minimal experience altogether.

But for 35k, looks like a value built package. at that price was that inclusive of engine, electrics etc??

suzygs1000
26-02-2009, 05:39 PM
That is complete with all the bells and whistles including hydraulic steering, 7" GPS/Sounder combo, and 140 Suzy.

They are kits, all precut, no jigs required, you build them on the concrete, not that difficult for the average handyman.

I had not lifted a welder in anger before I built my first one, but, especially in Townsville, there are plenty of mig welding Tafe courses.

It is pretty easy to weld aluminium with strong welds, prettiness is another matter.

Dave.

thephotoguru
27-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Susygs1000,

They look like a nice boat from the website, I really appreciate your input.

Had a look at the site and I am liking their designs close to what I am after.

My plan is to get some ideas or plans then draw up what I want then get it plasma/laser cut. I have access to Aluminium sheet at work which will save a few dollars.

Do you think I will get away with something about 5 meters or am I really limiting myself in what and where I can go.

The alloy trailer is something I have been contemplating, any chance of posting some pics?

When I get some time I would like to take you up on the offer of a look at your set up.

Cheers Eamon

Scott nthQld
27-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Eamon, its more of a question of what do you intend to do most?

A 5m boat will still keep you out of some of the smaller creek systems, but also may limit how far you may be able to travel offshore. but saying that, I currently have a 4.8m pressed tinny, I can get around the creeks OK, but am limited how far I can go wide, but I have been up to 40km offshore before, it was just a verry very good day weather wise.

Really consider what you really want to boat to do before deciding on a size. If you are looking at more of and inshore/creek boat with the occassional trip a bit wider, then 5m would be up your alley, something that will be mainly a inshore/island with more frequent trips wide boat I would be looking at around 5.5, but if you are looking at doing the majority o your fishing out wide, but still want the flexability to stay inshore and insome bigger creek systems, lok at something around 6m.

suzygs1000
27-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi, Eamon,

Why don't you contact John Pontifex at PlateAlloy... he may be prepared to sell you the cad files, which can then be loaded into the router, and sheets precut. I would imagine that you would probably pay pretty well for the files tho. It would be worth it tho, as freight on a kit to the north from Melbourne will cost at least a grand, and you will also be getting the ally at the right price.

This has been discussed before on this forum, someone else was looking for cad files.

I am pretty sure that Alucraft in WA will sell you a copy of any of their cad files, and they also have a pretty good range of boats, tho I don't think they do any smallish ones with fully developed chines, and Phil Curran (at least, up to about 4 years ago) was quite prepared to sell cad files on cd.

Worth a try.
Dave.

DAve.

Izzey!
27-02-2009, 05:13 PM
launch &retreve mine on my own.

suzygs1000
27-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Some trailer pics:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/suzygs1000/newboat004Large.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/suzygs1000/newboat002LargeLarge.jpg

Dave.

levinge
27-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Dave, the winch on your trailer, its not one of those ones off Ebay is it. If so, be careful mate, I got one some time back for the tinnie and it didn't last a season till the teeth started to wear really bad. Otherwise, looks like a really sturdy trailer..

thephotoguru
28-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi Dave, Thanks for the pics,

That is a serious looking trailer.

Was thinking of using channel rather that box.

Did you design / engineer it your self?

Cheers Eamon

thephotoguru
28-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi Scott,

Thanks I am starting to get the picture.

I guess that I will be spending most of my time in creeks and inshore, would like to be able to get out and around maggie on occasions.

Don't really need a reef boat, a mate of mine is building a 7.5 meter plate boat.

Might think about a 5 meter centre console with high sides. I am fairly tall and don't like leaning on the side of a boat that is too low.

Go to try amd get the best design for a compromise such as this I guess.

I really appreciate your input.

Cheers Eamon

suzygs1000
01-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes, Eamon,

Didn't really design it myself, just worked out the length and positioning of axle off my existing boat and trailer, and made the v the same as the boat that was going on it.

The winch post was a failure, it actually bent the bottom plate where it bolted to the trailer while we were winching the boat for the first time in the garage.

It now has a box steel winch post, and strap type winch, tho I don't use the winch, but drive the boat on now.

The rest of the trailer has been brilliant, after two years, there are no signs at all of corrosion around the galvanised bolts and fittings, and no cracks or stress appearing in the aluminium or welds, tho everything is pretty well gussetted.

I used that box because I had a 4 metre length of it laying around, and only had to buy two extra lengths.

Dave

murf
28-10-2010, 08:45 PM
so did you come up with a boat?

looking at kit plate boats atm 4.8 to 5m

cheers Murf

White Pointer
28-10-2010, 11:08 PM
G'day,

Take a long hard look at this. It's an instant fishing machine.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=3135

Also, note that I have equity in ORIGIN BOATS and your decision might mean that we sell another boat.

Regards,

White Pointer

murf
29-10-2010, 08:53 AM
G'day,

Take a long hard look at this. It's an instant fishing machine.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=3135

Also, note that I have equity in ORIGIN BOATS and your decision might mean that we sell another boat.

Regards,

White Pointer

too big for my needs :(

cheers Murf

Camhawk88
29-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I fished the creeks, islands and occasionally the reef (Loadstone Brewer etc) from a pressed 5m Clarke abalone up here for about 8 years and found it to be a good compromise. From the sounds of what you are doing I believe that 5.5m is a bit of overkill and certainly will make life difficult to launch retrieve solo at our ramps up here.
I think your initial idea of 4.7m is a good size. It will get you up most creeks with reasonable tide- should only draw 30-40cm depending on deadrise and weight. If you are only looking at going to Maggie, The Cape or Rattlesnake then that size boat will be heaps on any day with winds of 15-20kn or less. At 20kn it may not be quite as comfortable as a larger vessel but Maggie is only 10km to Picnic Bay and around 20km to Horseshoe- not a big distance and if things get real nasty stick some lures out the back and troll home- only take an hour or so.
As I said my 5m tinny (75hp) got me to the reef a few times with no dramas- of course you pick your weather going this far. I also had it out in some horrible seas in 25knt winds about 7 mile off the back of Maggie (unintentional- dont always trust the BOM!). It was bloody uncomfortable but always felt safe and didnt take any waves over the sides or bow.
So for what you are doing- mostly creeks with the odd island trip I reckon you are on the money with a 4.7m. I guess now you have to ask yourself 'do I need the expense and weight of plate?' If you want to take the family out or do outside in more comfort then probably.
My 2cW

Camhawk88
29-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Forgot to mention- check out the Allison Arafuras at rising sun- they look great for what you are thinking of doing. I think the BMT package with 4stk is around the 30k mark. The Fisher 4.8m would also be awesome but probably a bit pricey and with a deepV might draw a bit too much for the shallow creeks.

Scott nthQld
29-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Not long ago I was checking out a little 4.6m Origin 4X4. Would be perfect little allrounder for the creeks and islands and getting to the reef on good runs of weather. Unfortunatley other events conspired against me and I was not able to go any further than enquiries.

Richard (White Pointer) was very freindly to deal with and more than helpful. I dod some rough calculations myself and this boat setup as side console, casting decks, plenty rod holders, inbuilt esky, u'floor tank, live bait tank, a few other extras fitted with the new 70hp yam 4 str was going to set me back about 30-35k, and there was plenty of room to save money if i so chose, like forgoing paint, fitting out myself etc. Rough estimates though, with me maybe over stating a few things.

For the record i don't have any affiliation with Origin boats other than potential buyer

fatovich
30-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Do you have your heart set on alloy? For that job description i would be looking at something like a second hand southwind stealth 5M
Launch/retrieve is a matter of setup, I can launch and retrieve my 7.3 solo if needed.
If you need to build yourself, check out platealloy.com or http://www.bodenboatplans.com/
The seas around cleveland bay are rarely dangerous, for a 5M boat any way, uncomfortable yes but not dangerous.