PDA

View Full Version : bent boat bottom?

baitwaster
25-02-2009, 08:07 AM
I hit a wake that was larger than I thought at WOT last week, boat bounced around a bit, but seemed to cope well, so I didn't think much of it. When I got the boat out of the water, I noticed the bottom had been pushed up against the ribs and flattened where there used to be a nice sweeping curve (50c coin as opposed to 20c coin shape). Might be a bit hard to see in pics. It had no noticable effect on handling etc. Does it need repair, or should I just check all welds and not worry if they are all OK?

Thanks in advance.

Shane.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/m8eee/fishin/24022009347.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/m8eee/fishin/24022009348.jpg

Blackened
25-02-2009, 08:08 AM
G'day

I cannot see anything abnormal n the pics, but that's just me.

IMO, check the welds (inside and out), keep an eye on them and forget it.

Dave

finga
25-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Yep, you cannot do much about it at all.
If you try and fix it might just do more damage.
Just check welds and slow down next time if possible.

foxx510
25-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I see what you mean, must have been a serious wake! Blackened, it's the area where the reflection is a darker colour.

PS. Is it just me or does it look like those side skids have a heap of weight on them?

Wahoo
25-02-2009, 08:20 AM
you now have a weak spot, something has given, take it in to a alloy pro and see what he things, whats to say it wont get worse, this is just MHO

Daz

FNQCairns
25-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't think it needs repair, lots of tinnys do it, although they shouldn't. Decking can often be some insurance against it. I also welded longitudinal between bulkheads on mine to try and ward against it over time.

If it where mine i would inspect all ribs well then forget about it, rightly or wrongly consider the boat finally 'settled'::)

A professional inspection never goes astray.

cheers fnq

ozbee
25-02-2009, 03:17 PM
im quite sure you will wear out before it does

MarkDiver
25-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I can't clearly see it but is it perhaps worth filling the hull with water to deck level to see if it 'pops' out? Other than that i would consider it just character to a tinny?
-if it ain't broke don't fix it?? (just one theory 'still floating' around) excuse the pun

Kleyny
25-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Gday Shane,
I've seen allot worse on my brothers super light tinnie.
His looks like it has been jumping over logs.
To date the only place it leaks is where the previous owner kept beaching it and wore the alloy through.

IMO, just keep an eye on it. But if your going to loose sleep over it go see a eggspert.

neil

P.S your jig heads are still coming, i just haven't been that way yet.

Bros
25-02-2009, 05:01 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want to see some bad ones have a look at a crabbers boat.

A mate of mine had his dinghy fall off his ute on to the highway, he just turned around and picked it up and kept using it.

The small ones are pretty tough.

GBC
25-02-2009, 06:47 PM
I can see the main deflection which is O.K., but it looks as though the second strake from the outside has a fold across it. If that is the case, she'll split across there and need rewelding, and rewelding and rewelding.:-/

The second photo shows it better than the first, but it could only (hopefully) be a reflection or shadow?

White Pointer
25-02-2009, 07:27 PM
G'day,

Any chance that you might have hit something solid in the wake?

White Pointer

tunaticer
25-02-2009, 07:37 PM
It is basically not practical to try and fix it, Ally is very hard to reset back to its former shape in this situation. It is also very common amongst tinnies to do this and does not usually cause any problems. My tub has 3 of these each side these days so it is now "balanced" so to speak.

Most tinnies like yours and mine are simply skin wrapped around the frames under stress and the ribbing supplies enough structure to hold a fairly even curve. You have simply removed the stress from these areas by creating the kink.

baitwaster
25-02-2009, 08:40 PM
All responses are much appreciated, I was looking for other people opinions to ease my mind, and I have decided on the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" technique. I'll pull up the decking and check the welds, if they are all OK, then I'll put some juice in the tank and go fishing.

Thanks again everybody.