PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Kids Fishing Day

shayned
24-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey Folks,

As part of Sunfish's Life Style Kids Fishing Days, Pine Rivers Fish Management Association is holding a learn to fish day for some of our disabled kids.

We still have some places left available, if you have a friend whose disabled child would like a chance to pick up some skills in a safe and fun environment, hopefully developing into a life long past time please pass the information on.

When: This Sunday the 1st of March from 12 Noon until approx 4.00pm. Timing will vary depending on how the kids are holding up.

Where: Roma St Parklands, this area has been built to cater to disabled people and has a fully stocked pond not normally open to fishing. Previous days have seen on average kids catching 3-4 fish in 90 minutes. The fish range from 600g to 15kg.

Who: Day is aimed at disabled kids and their carer/parent. The Carer will have to be with the child as a support and hopefully learn along with the child. We normally aim for the 9-14 yr old age bracket, but in this instance are hoping the childs parent will determine whether the event is suitable for them.

How: Bookings are being taken by the staff at the Parklands on 3006 4545. This is being done on a first come first served basis. There will also be someone available on this number between 9-11 AM on Sunday to confirm the event is on if the weather is bad.

What: The day will start at Noon so we hope people will arrive just before to sign in. We will start with some casting training (games included) and follow with a break for a sausage sizzle for participants. After this we will run through some rig, knot work and crayfish trapping. The day will end with fishing in the best angler training pond in Queensland. We have never had a kid not land a fish yet!!

There will be 4 qualified instructors and 10 experienced coaches assisting on the day.

APOLOGIES BUT REMAINING PLACES ARE LIMITED AND WILL BE ALLOCATED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS. IT PROMISES TO BE A GREAT AFTERNOON.

bundylundy
25-02-2009, 04:54 PM
shayed,
Hope all goes well Sunday and I'm sure the kids will have a fun day. I'm also helping out with a Sunfish Life Style Kids Fishing Day in Bundaberg on Sunday being hosted by the Bundaberg Sportfishing Club. Teaching a kid to fish put's them on the right track, and the smiles say it all. Cheers.

Jeff.

alphas
25-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Well done to all that have organised this event,and thanks Shayned for making it known here:thumbsup: I would come myself with my daughter,but she is only 3..maybe in a year or two..Thanks again mate

shayned
25-02-2009, 11:41 PM
We still have places available, it would be a damn shame not to see a full compliment taking advantage of this great venue.

Hey Bundy,
Good on ya for jumping in and having a go, sometimes I think I enjoy more than the kids. By the way I think a mate of mine Gaz is helping out with you guys. Please don't let him teach the kids anything, all he can catch is Tilapia and yellows, he'll ruin them. :)

bundylundy
26-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Shayned,
I will pass on your comments to Gaz. We have been trying to wean off the the freshwater and put a bit of salt in his veins since he has been in Bundy. Have a good one on Sunday.

Jeff.

Braddles
26-02-2009, 05:25 PM
What a great cause... Good on the people who are organising this!

If I had heard about this earlier I would have passed it on to the social worker at work (Mater Kids) to fill some spots with some special needs kids..

I never knew fish of 15kg were in roma st parklands - even my eyes light up :-)

shayned
27-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Thankfully all fully booked now, everything is in place and are looking foward to the kids having a great day. Cheers.;D