PDA

View Full Version : 80lb leaders to heavy for IPDMNT barra???

jayvee
24-02-2009, 04:02 PM
hi all,
well i went into the bcf here yesterday to buy some black magic supple trace in 80lb as it is 25% off at ATM and when i got to the counter the attendant say
"80lb, thats heavy.what are you fishing for??" i tell her i am making my first trip to monduran soon and she says 80lb is unecasary as she has fished awoonga and monduran on a number of occasions and not gone any heavier than 50lb with no bustoffs or worn through leaders. now i'm cunfused as i was told at least 60lb for hardbody's and 80lb for placy's. i didnt no what to think. so does this lady just have extremely good luck when it comes to ipdmnt barra or what is she on about??

i walked out without the leader(my mate already has a couple spools of 60lb),confused, and thinking WTF just happened!!! LOL

JAYVEE

Barraboss
24-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Jayvee,

I personally like 60lb for HB's and 80lb for plastics. This is not a set rule, depending on location, water clarity, fish mood etc etc

This is for up at Tinaroo which has less structure in the areas that I fish than most of Mondy.

Matt

Awoonga
24-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Well there you go..... ....Who is this fantastic Female ?...50lb... l must get some lessons from this lady...Jayvee go for it ... no need to ask any more questions from us ! just ask your new found friend at B C F.... And while you are there could you please ask her for me what lures that l should be using !.....And where should l fish ?..............Sorry mate l just couldnt help myself...My advice is 80lb if you use single strand.....

jayvee
24-02-2009, 05:56 PM
yeah cheers AWOONGA im mentaly preparing myself now and plan to return toomorro to get my 80lb. i might ninja roll through the doors this time and take a stealth approach so she doesnt see me!!!

Peter4
24-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Trev has it right jayvee - we love Black Magic supple trace and when we use single strand its always 60lb for hardbodies and 80lb for plastics.

Even then a deep hooked barra will abrade you if the fight is long enough and hard enough....

Go back to BCF and buy what you need without the "advice" - sorry Jeremy87!

Pete

eotbmg
24-02-2009, 06:31 PM
JV
How are you going mate?
Personally [ i am no expert-far from it, but in answer to your question] I use 60lb single strand trace for placcies and 80 lb wind ons for hard bodies. THIS IS ONLY USED AS A GUIDE!!!!!!! If the bite is shut down, or they are short striking, try 50 on the placcies and 60 on the HB's, TRY, TRY, TRy.
Did you ask her how many times she has fished the dams and how many fish she's caught.
Sometimes people become dangerous with information. Personally i dont take alot of info from tackle store employees, until i check things out myself.
GO WITH WHAT THE REGULARS SAY ON HERE-THEY KNOW THEIR STUFF!!!!!
Cheers
Ben

NAGG
24-02-2009, 06:49 PM
JV ......... You could land a barra on 20lb leader if you have a hookset in the right place.:-/

The reality is though even a relatively small barra can wear through a heavy trace - Over the weekend , we had 2 barra in the 80cm bracket wear through 40lb twisted leaders at Awoonga :o Both were deep hooked on plastics & very lively fish ( lots of jumps & head shakes) - GONE!

A big girl can wear through 60 & even 80lb in seconds under a tight drag........

Chris

darylive
24-02-2009, 07:22 PM
A big girl can wear through 60 & even 80lb in seconds under a tight drag........

Chris[/quote]

And the same goes for BARRA! ;D

BR65
24-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Go the 80, you could land a hinge hooked fish on far less if you were lucky and the gill plates didnt come into play, or a fish that has face swiped a hard body and everythings on the outside, but when a big girl commits and sucks it down deep, then half launches out of the water and all you can see is leader - no lure or plac, then you'll be wishing you'd never listened to the bcf expert - no disrepsect intended to the lady in queston.

nipsta
24-02-2009, 07:58 PM
i can say i no expert on this as i dont follow the normal but i reckon the theroy i follow on selecting leader is tight the drag stronger the leader so i dont use a heavy drag and i have had good sucess with blackmagic supple 60lb with no failures but whos not to say that i wont have failures but if you want to use a heavy drag use 80lb plus it personal chioce really but i do belive min for placcys would be 80lb as they seem to get the lures in deeper from what i have seen all my barra have been caught on hard bodies so maybe thats why i have had no failures at the 50 lb and 60 lb level

Steve B
24-02-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah cheers AWOONGA im mentaly preparing myself now and plan to return toomorro to get my 80lb. i might ninja roll through the doors this time and take a stealth approach so she doesnt see me!!!

There's your answer Jayvee

consistantly good and experienced barra fisherman 8 vs BCF chick nil..which is probably how many she REALLY has caught. They learn a lot in city stores from what they 'hear'.....suddenly it becomes their story.

I hope she does see you....use the info here to assist you.....grab a roll of 80lb supple for me while your at it!!;)

cheers Steve

darylive
24-02-2009, 09:30 PM
J

Some of the mob even use wire! :huh:

fencing wire that is! :o

They use their boat to collect it from the submerged fences. :evilgrin:
:grin:

:LMAO:

Dick Pasfield
24-02-2009, 09:50 PM
J

Bet there's a story behind that:)

birko
24-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I have been to Monduran twice now and have yet to be busted off on 60lb leader................ In hindsight this may be in some part due to the fact I have yet to catch a barra at Monduran.

Mate, every bit of advice given above is very sound and given by blokes who know their stuff and have the runs on the board.

Cheers
Birko

Steve B
24-02-2009, 10:18 PM
J

Your on fire tonight Daryl!!!!;D;D

You just had to DRAG that old story up didnt you!!!!!! ;D;D

Colo77
24-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Jayvee, i don't think 80lb is too heavy for hb or sp. i am still gaining experience in the barra battlefield:P , however, if last thursday night was anything to go by 80lb is far from too heavy for the big girls, if anything, would only make them leader shy at times, but never too heavy. I'm fishing IMPDMNTS around mackay but I assume a similar rule of thumb would come into play on most if not all barra dams.

I was near rubbed off by a 92cm model using 80lb black magic with hb lure & dropped another well over 1m not long after :'( due to lack of tension on the line. I normally use Penn 10X 60lb but I was using a mates reel at the time. I'm glad I had the 80lb.

On another note, just to skite because i'm rarely in the position to, we even had a triple hook-up on barra, for a matter of seconds anyway, all quality fish.;D
I was more excited than Big Kev. We returned Saturday & scored a big fat O:( . That's fishin'.

p.s. Don't discount all the info from those bcf & other tackle store "salesman". My local BCF connection placed VERY well in the recent ABT tour & is a wealth of knowledge & an excellent angler for almost any target species, not just barra. After all, he was driving the boat that put us onto the above mentioned triple hook-up.

Tight lines,

slyman
24-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey JV

Here's a pic of a deep hooked 104cm barra my brother caught on 60lb black magic, its pretty scuffed up...

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/PC140244-1.jpg

Herby13
25-02-2009, 07:03 AM
mate i use 30lb and i haven;'t had a bust off yet, so yer. . . . .

birko
25-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Jayvee, i don't think 80lb is too heavy for hb or sp. i am still gaining experience in the barra battlefield:P , however, if last thursday night was anything to go by 80lb is far from too heavy for the big girls, if anything, would only make them leader shy at times, but never too heavy. I'm fishing IMPDMNTS around mackay but I assume a similar rule of thumb would come into play on most if not all barra dams.

I was near rubbed off by a 92cm model using 80lb black magic with hb lure & dropped another well over 1m not long after :'( due to lack of tension on the line. I normally use Penn 10X 60lb but I was using a mates reel at the time. I'm glad I had the 80lb.

On another note, just to skite because i'm rarely in the position to, we even had a triple hook-up on barra, for a matter of seconds anyway, all quality fish.;D
I was more excited than Big Kev. We returned Saturday & scored a big fat O:( . That's fishin'.

p.s. Don't discount all the info from those bcf & other tackle store "salesman". My local BCF connection placed VERY well in the recent ABT tour & is a wealth of knowledge & an excellent angler for almost any target species, not just barra. After all, he was driving the boat that put us onto the above mentioned triple hook-up.

Tight lines,

Colo

You are dead right there, Jason, Lee and Issac at Mackay BCF are damn fine fisho's that are always willing to help and share info, these lads can back up the talk. Young fella local around by the name of Grech who is one to watch as well.

Birko

SeekingBarradise
25-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi guys this topic has been covered recently in Nagg's thread on Leaders.

It has some very good leader info and about 50 other Barra fishing tips spread throughout the thread. This thread should have remained on the first page a lot longer than it did. In the last months fishing reports on here i've seen mistakes listed that were covered with solutions in this old thread, so i'm not sure if many people are on the freshwater section/internet to learn or just talk.

It must get very frustrating for those with a few thousand Barra under their belt trying to share info when this excellent info get's ignored for a latest fad thread, which has been a trend in the last 12 months on here. Mainly lure/plastic threads etc.

Anyway check it out, it's an Oldy but a Goody.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=144631

Brett Jones who used to guide on Lake Monduran works at the Bundy BCF which is great for local fisho's in the area chasing advice etc.

Cheers Lyndon.

rebelone
25-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I always use 60lb but I make it up into the Jack Erskine style leader - that is about the bottom foot is twisted into a double. Have been to Monduran 4 times now and next week will be 5 and my PB is 1.22. Have not had any loses due to leader failur but have had a couple of occasions where one strand of the double has been worn through

PaulMark
25-02-2009, 10:27 AM
The guides are recommending 50lb main and 60-80lb leader who am I to argue?They earn their dough fishing so I think I know where the advice with the experience to back it up should come from.
Paulo

jayvee
25-02-2009, 01:22 PM
well i went to a diff bcf today and the assistant there was a nice older bloke who had just returned from monduran. i already had a roll of 80lb black magic in hand and he seemed to think i was on the money! he also had alot to tell me about monduran and even went out the back of the store and to grab his map and showed me where he's had success and and what bays/points he fished just recently and pulled some good barra off (up to 119cm). top bloke and i surely wasnt expecting him to give me asmany tips as he did. let alone go out the back to grab a map and show me whats been workin for him!
all info takin onboard and thanks for al the replys
JAYVEE

nipsta
25-02-2009, 02:30 PM
well i went to a diff bcf today and the assistant there was a nice older bloke who had just returned from monduran. i already had a roll of 80lb black magic in hand and he seemed to think i was on the money! he also had alot to tell me about monduran and even went out the back of the store and to grab his map and showed me where he's had success and and what bays/points he fished just recently and pulled some good barra off (up to 119cm). top bloke and i surely wasnt expecting him to give me asmany tips as he did. let alone go out the back to grab a map and show me whats been workin for him!
all info takin onboard and thanks for al the replys
JAYVEE

his name wasnt ron at all as he does know his stuff he works at maroochydore store and fishes monduran all the time so if he gave you that advice then your on the right track

Colo77
25-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Colo

You are dead right there, Jason, Lee and Issac at Mackay BCF are damn fine fisho's that are always willing to help and share info, these lads can back up the talk. Young fella local around by the name of Grech who is one to watch as well.

Birko

Hey Birko

I've known J for about 5 years now (since b4 he moved up here). He never ceases to blow me away with his consistency, persistence & innovation.

Seen that Grech name around a fair bit too, QFM etc.

Tropicaltrout
25-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Mate its a pretty funny thing how theroys change as you go tackle shop to tackle shop, if you shop at the bulk end of the scale like the above mentioned the one in there might be inexperiance but with one trip under the belt be experts in the field for that store:-/ so with that in mind, if your heading to mondy for the first time go to a tackle shop that has all the correct guidence and stock like the local FBH!;)

I use 80 in any scenario, and had come un done a couple of times too espeacially when the water was low, and on a recent trip just got busted in the open due to a gill rake they are awesome fish and should not be taken for granted:)

Cheers Nath

Jeremy87
25-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Go back to BCF and buy what you need without the "advice" - sorry Jeremy87!

Pete

Fair call Pete. When i'm looking for advice i don't go to BCF either, and yet hundreds of people do it everyday and most of them walk away satisfied because most of the people who go into BCF are not highly experienced fisherman. Yet there is an expectation to be able to serve these customers to. It would be imposible for retail assistants (in all tackle stores not just BCF) to be able to comment on all forms of fishing from personal experience (believe it or not guys people fish for things other than barra). If it were the case only the likes of high profile fishing journalists would be qualified for the job. Most blokes on this forum wouldn't even qualify (myself included, there are dozens and dozens or common bread and butter fish that i have never caught or targeted and yet i have probably averaged 1-2 days fishing a week over the last 5 years). So it bares the question, at what point does someone become qualified to give advice?

There is no hard and fast way of doing this. Realistically the only way it can be achieved is to (a) going fishing regularly and (b) listen to others who also go fishing regularly. Wether you are qualified or not also depends on the customer you are serving and probably more imporantly what their "mates" reakon (often wether their mates know anything or not about the topic is completely irrelevant they point is that they trust their mates). As a retail assistant at some point in time your going to come accross a customer who has done alot more fishing than you, wether it be in general or for a specific target on specific tackle and they are going to ask you for advice and they will be aware that they know alot more than you. I feel the test for a wether a retail assistant is qualified or not to give advice is passed or failed by sending these customers away disgruntled or if this customer walks away satisfied.

You don't have to know more than the customer to give advice, only wether the advice you are giving is appropriate. Using lighter leader isn't necessarrily bad advice, however telling a customer that they shouldn't bother buying heavy leader (when they are at the counter, about to purchase the item) is not only inappropriate advise, but bad for buisness. Assuming she has caught barra before on lighter leader and genuinely thought she was giving good advice the correct way to have gone about it would have been to engade the customer in conversation. I ask alot of questions before i say anything.

Anyway I think I've gone on quite long enough about that. My point is with chain stores you can have your cake and eat it too. BCF does have alot of inexperienced staff, but it also has alot of enthusiatic fisherman on the crew too. Advice comes in many forms so it is best to take what comes your way and choose what you do with it rather than ignore it all together.

BR65
25-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Advice comes in many forms so it is best to take what comes your way and choose what you do with it rather than ignore it all together.

Well said mate

Sniper
25-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Was it at the Maroochydore or Caloundra store which this so called advice was given? The only one I'd take advice from at BCF in Maroochydore would be Ronny. He's always at Monduran and does know his stuff. However, that's all it is too, advice. Use what you need in certain areas. I've been using 60lb YGK Galis FC Absorber and so far so good. However, I'm not saying its what you or anyone else should use. I've heard of people using 100lb and 130lb in the timber at Monduran. Me personally, I think that is excessive, but thats me. Take several sizes and if you get busted on a lighter leader, then upgrade.
Oh, and for those who love wind on leaders but don't know how to or can't be bothered doing them yourselves, YGK Galis do a range of wind on leaders, ranging from 20lb right through to 100lb in length of 4.5m and 8.5m. Will be getting a few to put in the barra kit for my next trip. Oh, and these are available where you can buy Nitlon line from. I'm not going to mention names as I'm not going to break any rules. PM me if you want to know.
Cheers
Bill

Peter4
26-02-2009, 09:06 AM
BCF does have alot of inexperienced staff, but it also has alot of enthusiatic fisherman on the crew too. Advice comes in many forms so it is best to take what comes your way and choose what you do with it rather than ignore it all together.

Well put Jeremy. I was not having a go at you or at BCF. As you know I quite often shop there and some of the staff, including you, have been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction...

jayvee did the right thing by raising the issue on this forum, getting the information he needed and then going back to make his purchase. I do believe that the lady in question probably thought she was doing the right thing but , as you pointed out, it could have been handled better.....

Just goes to show the value of putting up a thread on Ausfish!;D

Pete

PaulMark
26-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Good post,top discussion.The comments made would be excellent advice for any inexperienced members.They could do a lot worse than take them aboard.
Paulo

NAGG
27-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Just goes to show the value of putting up a thread on Ausfish!;D

Pete

Very true Pete .......... some very good advice comes from Ausfishers , Lots of opinions too ---

Chris