PDA

View Full Version : Lake Kurwongbah trickling over

Little grey men
23-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I had a bit of a look around Kurwongbah Sunday morning to find water running over. Here's a few pics for anyone interested.
Oh yeh...and the little bass the PRFMA put in there are doing very well indeed !!!. I didn't fish for any but I came across a few playing on the surface while walking to the wall.
Such a pretty little lake which is slowly turning into a hot little fishery.

Obi _ Wan
23-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for that Michael,

I hope most of the fish we put in there are still in there and not in the Pine.

Cheers,
John.

flairj
23-02-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm looking forward to K'bah coming online.

How did you go at NP? I'm actually glad I gave it a miss as I did the kayak comp at Mooloolaba and did quite well at it.

Little grey men
24-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm looking forward to K'bah coming online.

How did you go at NP? I'm actually glad I gave it a miss as I did the kayak comp at Mooloolaba and did quite well at it.

Shocking mate....I fished for an hour without a touch then gave up. The water in North Pine has also come up a fair bit which made things really difficult.

Luc
24-02-2009, 12:38 PM
It would be interesting to fish the water in the pools below Kurwongbah to see what (if any) fish have made their way up from downstream!!

As far as losing bass over the wall, I don't think that many would have gone.
IMO during inflows to a dam, bass are more likely to move upstream.

On the other hand, if overflows occur at the right time, mature bass wanting to breed would definitely take the plunge over the spillway. The shame is that those bass cannot get back.

Need to retrofit fishways;D

Luc

harry_h01
24-02-2009, 02:39 PM
As a kid I used to live in Beeville Road (3rd house in the street) way back when.

We used to ride up to the spill way and dive in off the wall. When it was flowing, we used to ride boogie boards down the slimy slopes.

After all this settles down and the over flow stop, the rock pools below the falls are usually full of fish, and eels.

We use to pull lots of fish out of the pools and also help get the turtles back into the Lake to make sure they didn't dry out or die.

It's still nice to see it flowing again, and knowing the bass will be thriving.

Harry