PDA

View Full Version : Boating fatality Jacobs Well Monday 23rd

tigermullet
23-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Just heard from a resident at Jacobs Well that a 16ft fibre glass boat was involved in a collision with a large barge just to the north of mooring area. One fatality and one in critical condition.

Not sure of these details, they might be fact or not but the 16ft Fibreglass was supposed to be anchored in the channel and was run down by a barge.

It's grim news.

boatboy50
23-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Guys,

Just saw a snippet on the news.

70yr old male deceased. Seafarer V-Sea with an F60 Yamaha four stroke.

Don't know the story of what happened.

Regards

Darren

whitingkiller
23-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Tigermullet,

it is true, the guy that died was a friend of mine.
apparently he drove straight into the barge early this morning up near the powerlines...
deckie is a little shaken but ok
this guy has been on the water for over 50 years, so just goes to show you how easy accidents ca:'( n happen!

SeaHunt
23-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Sad indeed, we will have to assume the barge was lit until we hear otherwise.
The Courier mail have a photo of the boat describing it as a tinnie?
First tinnie I have seen made out of fibreglass.

Reminds me of the time they put up a photo of a Ridgeback and called it a Bullmastif.
I wonder how hard it is to get a job as a jouno or editor at the Courier Mail?
My dog could do a better job.

tigermullet
23-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Tigermullet,

it is true, the guy that died was a friend of mine.
apparently he drove straight into the barge early this morning up near the powerlines...
deckie is a little shaken but ok
this guy has been on the water for over 50 years, so just goes to show you how easy accidents ca:'( n happen!

Do you know the name of the boat?? Hope it's not the bloke I know. I cannot imagine it being him but he also has had about that many years on the water in the Jacobs Well and Gold Coast area.

Razgo-
23-02-2009, 05:09 PM
That looks like the same barge that thought was going to run me over when i was taking my 10m bay cruiser down to coochie mooring a few weeks ago.

I was doing at least 8-10 knots and the barge or tug boat pushing the platform came up the rear very fast. I was surprised how fast it was moving and how quickly it was right behind me to the point i had to make a loop and come around behind it so it didn't run me over.

How fast do these things go?

peterbo3
23-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I was doing at least 8-10 knots and the barge or tug boat pushing the platform came up the rear very fast. I was surprised how fast it was moving and how quickly it was right behind me to the point i had to make a loop and come around behind it so it didn't run me over.

How fast do these things go?

Sometimes a barge tug combo has to travel quickly to maintain steerage, especially if running with the tide & in a confined channel. Wind will also play a part.
This does not in any way remove the obligation on the barge crew to maintain a lookout at all times & display appropriate lights, etc or take avoiding action where necessary.

GBC
23-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Bloody sad to see,

My condolances to family and friends

C.J.

mookyandlumpy
23-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Police investigating fatal boating incident, Jacobs Well: Police are investigating a fatal boating incident at Jacobs Well early this morning. Around 5am a 4.7 metre Seafarer centre console fibreglass boat heading north towards Little Rocky Point collided with a 50 metre barge travelling in the opposite direction. The barge was being moved by a 14 metre tug boat at the time. A 73-year-old man from Beenleigh who was driving the fibreglass boat died at the scene. His 62-year-old passenger was not injured as a result of the collision. Gold Coast Water Police are investigating the incident. A post mortem will be conducted to determine the cause of the man’s death.

from the qld police website

very sad to hear , condolances to family and friends

mooky

whitingkiller
24-02-2009, 09:26 AM
apparently it happened before 5am - so in the dark??
begs the question, why was barge operating before daylight and also if i was 73 yrs of age, my eyesight "may" not be the best and "may" wait until daylight to start my travels, but we are all the same, we have to get to the spot as early as we can..it is a fisho thing...
no matter who's fault it was, it is a tragedy that no one should go through.

PADDLES
24-02-2009, 10:52 AM
it more begs the question, why was someone in command of a moving vessel not looking where he was going? and i'm not talking about the barge here either. what if old mate had ran into a family having a bit of an overnight snooze and killed them as well?????? the poor bugger has paid the ultimate price for inattention, but it could have been a whole lot worse with innocent people being killed. i'm not trying to be disrespectful here either, my condolences to his family and friends.

SeaHunt
24-02-2009, 11:45 AM
but we are all the same, we have to get to the spot as early as we can..it is a fisho thing...

Really? The earliest I've ever made it out on the water is about 8 o'clock.
Probably explains why I dont catch much.

levinge
24-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Really? The earliest I've ever made it out on the water is about 8 o'clock.
Probably explains why I dont catch much.

I'm usually heading home by then.

Condolenses to his family, a loss to the fishing fraternity

whitingkiller
24-02-2009, 01:54 PM
seahunt,
that might be your problem..
i fish whenever the tide suits, if that means a 1am start, so be it..
the best time of the day is just before and after daylight and you can be home before the crowd arrives!

Jeremy
24-02-2009, 02:42 PM
it more begs the question, why was someone in command of a moving vessel not looking where he was going? and i'm not talking about the barge here either. what if old mate had ran into a family having a bit of an overnight snooze and killed them as well?????? the poor bugger has paid the ultimate price for inattention, but it could have been a whole lot worse with innocent people being killed. i'm not trying to be disrespectful here either, my condolences to his family and friends.

Not looking where he was going? Inattention?

Steady on Paddles. We don't know much details here yet, but......
1. the old fella may not have the best eyesight. Doesn't mean he was not paying attention or not looking where he was going.
2. lights on water can be very hard to see. I will bet the barge was poorly lit (I did not say illegally), might have had lights on land behind the barge making it hard to pick it out.
3. The fibreglass centre console does not seem to have been moving fast when they hit the barge, from the lack of impact damage. Seems that the weight and inertia of the barge rolled the boat. So if he was going slowly, he was probably doing the right thing in the dim light situation.

Do you know for a fact that not looking or inattention by the driver was involved? If not, then I think your post is indeed disrespectful.

Jeremy

PADDLES
24-02-2009, 02:59 PM
like i said jeremy, i really am trying not to be disrespectful. my only source of info has been fairfax news so far to base my opinion on (i don't necessarilly trust the media though), they were quoting his deckie as saying that he was distracted and misjudged the speed/distance of the barge. but at the end of the day a boat ran into a barge, and someone got killed. it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, (poor light or poor eyesight) we should always drive our boats to the conditions, ie. if ya can't see then anchor up until you can. how impressed would you would be jeremy if someone ran their boat into you and hurt you, i'd be absolutely spewing myself. i know that accidents do happen, but they can normally be prevented. my statement still stands and again i intend no disrespect and my condolences to the family.

goldfish
25-02-2009, 08:52 AM
RE: another post on rescues. According to 65% of ausfishers the family should be issued with a bill for this rescue/attempted rescue. So I'm just wondering if that 65% would like to hand deliver the bill or hide behind a stamp & just post it out.

With this statement I mean no disrespect to the family & I am sorrowed to hear about this incedent & am only making a piont.
I would also like to offer my condolnces to the family.